Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning Plate Setter?

My plate ester has collected a nice coating of drippings. What's the recommended method of cleaning it?

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Start your egg, put the PS in dirty side down, take it to about 550-600* and hold it there for an hour. In the future wrap in HDAF and/or use a drip pan. Don't ask how I know this. ;)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    +1
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    @dmw hit the nail on the head.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Fire up your Egg with a nice healthy amount of coal. Leave both the top and bottom vents wide open. Let that thing burn HOTT for about 30-40 minutes. It's like a self cleaning oven. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,428
    Well, I used a putty knife, but I'm in the minority here....  :\">

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    A weed burner works like magic. A very large propane cooker works equally well. Just be cautious as you can take it to the point of failure with a weed burner or large propane burner. I have been doing this away with no issues for over 2 years. I use a infrared heat gun and try to limit temps to no more than 1,000 degrees. That is more than enuff to remove any debris or build up. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

Fire up your Egg with a nice healthy amount of coal. Leave both the top and bottom vents wide open. Let that thing burn HOTT for about 30-40 minutes. It's like a self cleaning oven. 

+1. Also have just done a few pizzas then pulled thermometer, opened bottom vent wide open with chimney wide open and let her rip and same thing...it self cleans.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    I just scrape mine off and then hose it off.  Can't see wasting all that aluminum foil sometimes I'll use a drip pan sometimes not, to me it's just as easy to clean it.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    In reality I rarely wrap my PS, usually just use drip pans. If I have a really large long cook (say 60lbs of butts), I do wrap as well as use drip pans.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Found that dollar store pizza pans can be purchased in various sizes, the 12" ones fit my MBGE setter perfectly. Just covers the setter completely without changing the air flow. Works great to catch the small drips from an indirect cook before a reverse sear. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!