Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast Iron info. (you're welcome)

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    the whole video kinda creeped me out
    Toronto
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Thank you so much for that.
    That man just gives and gives. Friggin' saint if you ask me.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Thank you so much for that.
    BSR post 1950's I believe.  No. 10, 12 7/16 IN, 5 H-1. 

That and 2 lodge pieces, but I can just check my Amazon purchase history to identify those. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Good video.

Anyone else creeped out by the "floating head and arms" look?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Thank you so much!  Totally helped my insomnia.  Bookmarked in case I need it again.

Living Large and XL

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Good lord...what a time suck...but good info...I can't believe I watched it all
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Several years of learning what he took 20 min to summarize.....that's a time suck. lmao

Thanks for posting this Travis, dude covers the bases.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Listening to that guy was a time suck.....floating head and all
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Last summer pulled my great-grandmother's cast iron dutch oven out of my parent's garage, wiped off the spider webs and gave it a light washing, and the thing was still in perfect condition ready to cook...  Researched the logo's and determined it was made sometime between 1905 and 1916, and that specific series was fetching 600-700 from collectors online.   Not that I'd ever sell it, it cooks far too well to get rid of.
    Pentwater, MI
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Thank you Travis.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Thank you Travis for the vid,

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• nolaegghead

Last summer pulled my great-grandmother's cast iron dutch oven out of my parent's garage, wiped off the spider webs and gave it a light washing, and the thing was still in perfect condition ready to cook...  Researched the logo's and determined it was made sometime between 1905 and 1916, and that specific series was fetching 600-700 from collectors online.   Not that I'd ever sell it, it cooks far too well to get rid of.
    If it were me, I'd sell it and buy a Lodge.  You'll put some money in your pocket, stimulate the economy by buying an American made pot, and make someone who collects cast iron very happy. Your food won't taste any better or worse and I'd wager the new cast iron has less impurities than the old given the improvements in foundry technology.

If it were me, I'd sell it and buy a Lodge.  You'll put some money in your pocket, stimulate the economy by buying an American made pot, and make someone who collects cast iron very happy. Your food won't taste any better or worse and I'd wager the new cast iron has less impurities than the old given the improvements in foundry technology.
    That's all well and good if you don't mind being haunted by your great g-ma! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

Can you explain how technological improvements are better than loose pattern molding.  This video is a perfect example of how the vintage CI was created.  Another time suck lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk1JOYzwRP4&feature=related

If comparing old school vs new school ore....the older, lighter, finer ore wins hands down.  That is one of the main reasons why old pieces are desireable. 

Both old and new school ore have their virtues.  For low to medium and high heat finness cooking with things like eggs, the older stuff shines.  For the white hot CI blackening which has been a current theme, the new Lodge stuff shines.  You don't have to worry about damaging a true collector piece.  Some of the rare old stuff should not even be cooked on and coated with mineral oil to hang on the wall. 

@ShadowNick, don't be haunted by G-ma.  Keep the heirloom, and buy a cheap Lodge.  Best of both worlds.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• nolaegghead
    @focker - I don't know, I just said I'd wager under the assumption back in the 1800s and early 1900s they wouldn't know if they hit some ore with some kind of bad impurity like lead or cadmium because they don't have the tech that we have now for quality control. The iron is a pretty locked up matrix, and many of those bad heavy metals are removed in the slag or volatilize out.  Plus my g-ma was bat-sh*t crazy. ;)
    edited April 2014

@nolaegghead,

Hahaha, yea I wouldn't f with mine.  She'd sit on the porch drinking her Hamms cans with a dash of salt, shooting the blue jays that messed with the cardinals. hahaha

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Have to admit - I found this super interesting. Thanks for posting.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    I just died in your arms tonight, it must have been something he said!
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    Informative, Thanks!