Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lighting you lump???

Options
As you light your lump anyone ever give it a little stir just before things take off?? Seems like it might be a good idea but not sure if I am just wasting my time...

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    It's probably a good idea to stir the coals to get the excess as h to the bottom before you light. What method of lighting do you use? @henapple will be along to say that OO doesn't have ash and he only ever had to light his egg ONCE using the OO. Still burning since the first load of lump.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SensFan
    SensFan Posts: 41
    Options
    Mapp torch.....but actually I meant after
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Oh. I use chimney so I have no clue the workings of the map method. Btw I really dislike the steelers
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SensFan
    SensFan Posts: 41
    Options
    Oops..... I meant after you light the lump and before it's 200 just stir it up then??
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    No need to stir. Light to the front on the top for low and slows and as many places as you want on the top for hotter cooks. The most efficient method is to allow the fire to follow the air downward.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Once you know the fire is caught open the vents and close the lid. As soon as the interior heats up, the chimney effect will make that needle start to run. Start closing things down to your preferred settings once you are within 50--100 degrees of your target temp.
    NOLA
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I use a chimney pour then give a little stir
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Weed burner.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• TxTech25
    TxTech25 Posts: 19
    Options
    My method: 
    1. Stir to get ash to fall to the bottom and rake out when I have time during the next steps.
    2. Pour in new lump
    3. Build a lump "chimney" like lincoln logs in a small divot in the lump ( shaped like a #) 
    4. Put starting material in this "chimney", I use Primo starter sticks (hope that isn't a bad word on here)
    5. When lump is lit, I knock the chimney over and place whatever I need to cook on the grill (plate setter, grid, etc)
    6. Close lid, get to temp, cook, enjoy
    Wreck 'Em!
    - J in Amarillo, Tx
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    SensFan said:
    As you light your lump anyone ever give it a little stir just before things take off?? Seems like it might be a good idea but not sure if I am just wasting my time...
    Only if I want a roaring high-heat cook.  In general, I find it's not necessary.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I used my new electric starter the other night after cleaning the ash out and added new charcoal. It was going good in about 10 minutes and was at 700 in 20. I like it better then the starter sticks.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    I'm still learning to start my egg with consistency, but if my firebox is filled mostly with small pieces, I stir every once in a while to establish a hot fire quicker. If I have larger pieces I don't need to stir, it gets too hot too fast. Seems if I'm with the egg it never takes off good, if I walk away for a minute it shoots up to over 700 degrees. I don't know, I figure it out one day. The best part is that when it settles in on a temp it's stable.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I don't think you are wasting your time. I think a stir once the fire has taken hold is good for evenly distributing the heat and helping to speed up the time to clear smoke. Just my opinion.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE