Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just wanted to complain

Options
I'm on the way home knowing that I will be firing up my egg with a delicious liquid beverage in hand. Then I remember that I am out of lump, decided to take a chance and stop by Food Lion (only because its close) that carries Royal Oak and Cowboy lump. I had every intention of getting Royal Oak because I hate cowboy, but of course they were out and I bought this Cowboy Garbage. Please don't make the mistake of wasting your money or desecrating your egg by putting this crap in it. Last time I will make this mistake, at least the beer was cold.

Cheers, Mark
LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I tried it once only once.....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I bought some once before I knew what a naked wiz was. Never again.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I'd get take out before I use cowboy again. I swear i think it takes an hour for the VOC to burn off. At least!
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    You got cold beer? Everything else is gravy.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Fred's on a roll today =D>
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    Lesson learned, you can teach an old dog! I guess my problem is that it is SOOOOOO bad, I cant believe its still on the market. Thanks for letting me vent!
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    edited April 2014
    Options
    It was on sale at Lowes or Bjs last year and I bought a few bags! After I used the first bag I decided the other two bags will be sold with the house because they will never see the inside of my egg!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    I have been there and done that. Now I buy 2 bags of BGE charcoal every time...
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    True story, my buddy from Michigan finally bought an Egg, and got an XL. For the first few months he kept telling me his family really didn't like the food, I told him they would get used to it. He mentioned it again last month that they really didn't like the flavor, I then asked him what kind of lump are you using he said Cowboy....Ahhhaha....I told him to get some RO or Green Egg Lump and try that, they couldn't believe the difference his family now likes the food, imagine that...

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Aquacop
    Options
    Well, after letting it burn off for 75 minutes, the birb came out so so, I apologized to the bird and my egg and threw the rest of the lump away! Cheers
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    I tried it one time,Never again.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I've used (6) 20# bags so I feel I've given them a fair shake. 1st 5 bags each had "several" plastic articles, rocks, rubber and more rocks. The last bag was clean. I can understand a little rock or even a small piece of metal. But, rubber and plastic I won't tolerate. Not to mention the creosote took an average of 45 min- 1+ hr to clear. Sadly I bought all 6 bags at once because quite honestly I wouldn't have bought more after the 1st but, like I said...6 bags and I consistently had plastic, rubber etc. Maybe they will step up quality control.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for the thread.  I had asked about Cowboy elsewhere but this is the clearest response as why I should avoid it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Aquacop
    Options
    @KiterTodd glad that it saved you money and frustration! Cheers