Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rasied direct and maverick???

Options
awm
awm Posts: 181

Im planning on doing a spatchcock chicken tonight. Ive usually done them indirect but now that I have the small woo I want to try it raised direct. My question is will it hurt the wires on the maverick from the direct heat, or should I just stick with my thermapen?

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Should be fine.  You can wrap your wires in aluminum foil to help protect them.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• awm
    Options
    I figured it would be ok just didnt know about the direct heat, thanks.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    You usually raised direct at 350 and the wires on the new Maverick are capable of withstanding up to 500 degrees I believe.  Like you said,  you could direct for one hour and then start sticking it with the Thermapen.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I wouldn't.  Those probes are notorious for failing.  Ask Cen-tex, he had some real bad luck with them.  You could put in a regular oven thermometer and when you're in the ball park, probe it with an instant read.   Most people just start probing it when it looks like it's getting near done.
    Options
    Yea I think I'll just stick with the thermapen. The maverick has been awesome for the short time Ive had it and I dont want to chance messing it up on a simple cook.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    That's why they call it a probe...After buying 6 sets you get a "I got probed" t-shirt. I've got several.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I don't use my Mav except for low n slow cooks. For chickens I just check with Thermapen when its getting close.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • awm
    Options
    henapple said:

That's why they call it a probe...After buying 6 sets you get a "I got probed" t-shirt. I've got several.

now that would be a shirt worth getting... Thanks guys
  • awm
    Options
    it turned out pretty good but the skin was not as crispy as I was hoping for
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    There's no rule that says you can't flip it over and cook the skin.  I usually do.