Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ribs-fail

Options
Tried ribs for the first time. Slow cooked 2-2-1 method at 225f. Everything looked great, until I served them up. Ribs were a little dry and tough. Paid good money for the pork backs. Wondering where I went wrong???

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I think 2-2-1 is to long for baby backs thus the dryness. Unfoiled I cook mine 4 hours, maybe 2-1-.5 would be better for baby backs.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Tom67
    Tom67 Posts: 10
    Options
    Makes sense. I started to get pullback after 2 hrs. Ok I'll change up that time. Cheers
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    My first cook on my new egg were baby back ribs I tried the 3/2/1 method witch I had read was the best way to go.Holy cow,what a bad mistake.I now never wrap babybacks in foil.I cook them at 250 dome temp for about 3 hrs. do the bend test,they are getting close to being done I sauce for about 20 to 30 mins. until sauce is a little bit carmalized. Good luck with your next cook.
  • Tom67
    Options
    I'm not really a competition style rib guy. I like when they fall off the bone. Did the three hrs then sauce finish this way?? Thanks for the comments.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    I do mine baby backs around 5.5 to 6 hours depending on the meat. I never foil and they are never dry when cooked 225 to 250 dome temp with sauce the last hour. Just my .02 as they is more than one way to skin a deer.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Dry and tough usually means underdone. If you were cooking indirect w. a dome of 225F, even w. foiling the meat might not have finished. The grill temp is often 25 - 30 degrees less for several hours.

Rely on the bend test. Whatever procedure is used, at around 3/4 of the expected time, gently lift the rack of ribs in the middle. perfectly done ribs will almost bend in half, or even start splitting in half.

I stopped foiling long ago. I don't like infusing extra flavor and sweetness by adding extra fluid. I've moved more towards "dry" ribs w. sauce on the side.

Some "fall of the bone" is good, some, not good. The way I look at it, great ribs have bones falling out of the meat. The thin sheath of connective tissue has completely dissolved, and the heat has traveled along the bone, draining moisture from the bone. Over cooked, often par-boiled ribs produce meat that is rather mushy, and doesn't come clean off the bone. The mushiness is due to the muscle proteins being over denatured, which causes all water to be squeezed out. W/o sauce, that meat, tho' tender, is likely to be gummy and dry in the mouth. At the same time, not all of the collagen may have converted to gel, shown by the meat still sticking in small shreds to the bone. Its the gel which is what gives 'Q its real succulence.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    gdenby said:

Dry and tough usually means underdone. If you were cooking indirect w. a dome of 225F, even w. foiling the meat might not have finished. The grill temp is often 25 - 30 degrees less for several hours.

Rely on the bend test. Whatever procedure is used, at around 3/4 of the expected time, gently lift the rack of ribs in the middle. perfectly done ribs will almost bend in half, or even start splitting in half.

I stopped foiling long ago. I don't like infusing extra flavor and sweetness by adding extra fluid. I've moved more towards "dry" ribs w. sauce on the side.

Some "fall of the bone" is good, some, not good. The way I look at it, great ribs have bones falling out of the meat. The thin sheath of connective tissue has completely dissolved, and the heat has traveled along the bone, draining moisture from the bone. Over cooked, often par-boiled ribs produce meat that is rather mushy, and doesn't come clean off the bone. The mushiness is due to the muscle proteins being over denatured, which causes all water to be squeezed out. W/o sauce, that meat, tho' tender, is likely to be gummy and dry in the mouth. At the same time, not all of the collagen may have converted to gel, shown by the meat still sticking in small shreds to the bone. Its the gel which is what gives 'Q its real succulence.

This! 225 dome put you at about 200 grid for the ribs. Your ribs were 100% under done.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Tom67
    Options
    Thanks for the insite to this newbie bge
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Don't fret.  There are more mistakes in your future.  At least there were in mine.  Bend test is the key to ribs.  The egg is not fool proof.  As your expectations rise so do the little nuances that change a poor cook into an outstanding cook!  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Somewhere along the line the 3-1-1 method got misremembered and repeated as 3-2-1, probably because it sounds like a count down, and is easier to remember. Two hours in foil is too much I think.

Your 2-2-1 might have been enough at 250 or higher, with the extra hour in foil making up for the loss of the hour up front, but your temperature of 225 was probably just a tick too low.  I've had loin back ribs take seven hours sometimes.

I no longer do 3-1-1, but when I did, I found it often needed to go longer anyway.  They are done when they are done, and pull back from the tips as well as flop and bend easily. 

Overcooked ribs will be dry, but still pull apart easily.  If they are tough, they are underdone.

I agree with you, 2 hours is too long.  However, 3-2-1 was an actual rib technique created by someone way back when.  

Here is a good article from amazing ribs...he actually touches on the 3-2-1 and agrees that it is too long too!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    All ribs are dry.  Tough = undercooked.
    Options
    So from most advice, I'm hearing bend test is more important then pull back on ribs?? And what would optimal internal temp be?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Tom67 said:
    So from most advice, I'm hearing bend test is more important then pull back on ribs?? And what would optimal internal temp be?
    Internal temp doesn't work on ribs.  The bend test is the best.
    Options

try 325 dome for 1.5  to 2 hours,  or when the bend test passes.  works great for my family.. I just don't have 5 hours

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Ditch the foil. Unnecessarily complicates things. If you are pressed for time, try the turbo method, which also yields good results. @Mickey should be along shortly with a great pic he has of turbo ribs and the bend test all in one!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    Somewhere along the line the 3-1-1 method got misremembered and repeated as 3-2-1, probably because it sounds like a count down, and is easier to remember. Two hours in foil is too much I think.

Your 2-2-1 might have been enough at 250 or higher, with the extra hour in foil making up for the loss of the hour up front, but your temperature of 225 was probably just a tick too low.  I've had loin back ribs take seven hours sometimes.

I no longer do 3-1-1, but when I did, I found it often needed to go longer anyway.  They are done when they are done, and pull back from the tips as well as flop and bend easily. 

Overcooked ribs will be dry, but still pull apart easily.  If they are tough, they are underdone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,391
    Options
    In addition to the bend test and if you have cut your racks, the toothpick test is a great finish-line indicator.  Insert into the thickest section of meat and get no resistance either way=finished.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    if the ribs bend they will have plenty of pull back.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Tom67
    Options
    All I have to say is wow. Lol. I'm an egghead forever. Love the support. Cheers to all.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

Agree with what others have said, definitely underdone.  I cook mine for 5 hours (sometimes 5 straight, sometimes 2-1-2) at 250-280 and they always turn out perfect. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    If a thick bamboo skewer will sink right through with hot butter like resistance, they are ready...
    Pentwater, MI
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Bend test: Passed image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I use the .5.5.5.5.25.75.5.5 method. Work my ass off but they're great.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    The above ribs:Baby Back Turbo Ribs 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @Tom67‌ ...did you pull the membrane?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • LBC Dawg
    LBC Dawg Posts: 116
    Options
    Mickey said:
    The above ribs:Baby Back Turbo Ribs 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
    +1. Just don't see the need to cook something 4+ hrs when you can have it in 2 tops. plus they come out the way i like em. 
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    Options
    henapple said:
    @Tom67‌ ...did you pull the membrane?
    This.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Another vote for turbo! 350 degrees check them at 1:45, these were two hours , ill never go back to 4-5 hours for ribs, it isn't necessary. image
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Tom67
    Options
    Those look awesome!
  • coachsteve
    Options