Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Pulled Pork (plus Salmon for the Infidels) (A semi-sordid tale, with pix)

Options
Took a forced 2 week hiatus from egging and posting, but am finally back in the swing of things.  After much studying, and knowing my schedule wouldn't allow for an overnight low and slow cook, I picked up a smallish (5.5 lb) Boston Butt on Saturday with the intention of doing a not-quite-turbo all day Sunday cook instead.  Rubbed it early Saturday morning with Dizzy Dust that had arrived in the mail earlier in the week -- this was accomplished despite moving slow from having been over-served Friday night.  Up again early on Sunday morning (despite having had the same problem with very efficient bartenders and waiters on Saturday night) to slather it with French's and cover it with more rub.  Loaded up the egg with Cowboy lump (a first there, too) plus 3 chunks of cherry wood.  Lit it up, let the voc's burn off and settled the dome temp at a not-quite-turbo 300 or so just before 8 am.  Checked the temp a few times before leaving for the day's chores and errands and nonsense.  Returned home around 3:30 to a dome temp of maybe 250, and the butt firmly in the stall.  Got the dome back up to my target 300 and 2 hours later, IT was a solid 195.  Another 2 hours FTC, pulled at 7:30, adding nothing at all to the pork.  Very pleased with the results -- moist, smoky, porky goodness.  Some Bone Sucking Sauce on the side enhanced but didn't mask the flavor.  And toward the end of the FTC hold, I even planked some salmon for the non-believers.  

I'm just a newbie with a serious urge to egg working my way through the meats.  That means brisket has got to be next.  Anyone know whether it absolutely requires an overnight or can I try for a repeat of the early mornings prep and cook (with or without the aforementioned personal dehydration and withdrawal issues)?
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Very nice.

My last brisket was turbo-ish. 325 or thereabouts, stone, water pan then brisket in it's own pan. Took about 7 hr's (12 #). One of my best yet.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • stevethegreat
    Options
    Looks good!
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    It doesn't impart much flavor if any but rather acts as a binder to hold the rub in place.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Bluedemon1999
    Options
    Wow that is why I got the egg. Can't wait to try pulled pork. I see a lot of use of mustard in these posts. Can anyone elaborate on the flavor it provides? I love mustard but never thought about using it on pork. Great job dude.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    How did you prepare the pineapple?

Try marinating in a brown sugar/water/cinnamon mixture for an hour or two (or replace water with tequila if you prefer) then grilling to perfection.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    You won't taste the mustard..it just holds the rub on. Some use it and some don't.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    henapple said:
    You won't taste the mustard..it just holds the rub on. Some use it and some don't.
    Chuck Norris CAN TASTE THE MUSTARD. 
    I used the mustard BOTH on top of rub and under it (when I added more the next day). I figured it would do 2 things: keep more rub on and also keep in some moisture. Definitely don't taste it and I don't have anything to compare it to, so I don't know if the moisture theory worked. But the end product was awesome, so I prob will stick with it.

I just straight up grilled the pineapple direct and it rocked. I might try a glaze or rub, but am wondering if it really needs it or adds. DD has something called Pineapple Head. Any thoughts on that? (My wife has given me a shelf for rubs, but it quickly is filling up!)
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    PS @onebdguru:  soaking the pineapple in tequila sounds awesome.  I suppose the alcohol burns off, but I think I'd have to do a batch for the adults and a separate virgin batch for the kids (who power down that grilled pina like it's going out of style).
    It's a 302 thing . . .