Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any news on minimax availability?

I think I read somewhere that it will be available at authorized dealers in June. However, I have called 4 local dealers and none have even heard of the minimax yet?!?!?! I have a large and have been going back and forth between a mini or a small, the minimax would be perfect! I call headquarters and haven't heard anything back. I'm sure they would have a great market for this size egg... Has anyone heard anything?
Mechanicsburg, PA

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I asked mine too. But he's a moron so that shouldn't count. I heard June as well but I wouldn't count on it. I'm saving my loose change for one, so I'm in no real hurry. ;)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • I got about the same response from my dealer. They told me it was a prototype and they haven't heard of a official release date. I think I might have to get one as well
    Pure Michigan
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Mini BGE, Weber Smokey Mountain, Weber Performer.
    If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    My dealer called local distributor and they thought next year, but nothing official
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I am pretty sure this announcement stated June 2014, but I don't see any mention of a date any longer:

...not a good sign that it will be coming out soon. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My dealer said he'd never heard of it. He said he has a XXL on order, but he told me that last summer. Why would BGE build hype about something then wait for so long to release it? I know Apple is infamous for this, but they don't even wait this long.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I heard June from my dealer.
  • loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited April 2014
    I have a feeling all this is just talk! I asked my dealer and she said June! I ask her did she get that info from BGE or her Distributor and she said no....so I said you are just reading the same thing we are! not a good sign! 
    Brandon, MS
  • Tylerd76
    Tylerd76 Posts: 43
    I'm thinking I might go with the KJ Jr, watched the video on YouTube it looks good and is available now!
    Mechanicsburg, PA
  • cortguitarman
    I read that the joe jr doesn't have a screen on the lower vent to prevent sparks from flying out. I think this is an important safety feature. Don't know of this is true but it is worth checking into.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    I have a Joe Jr. and I love it...you are are right...no screen on the lower vent.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    No screen but I don't use the screen on my eggs anyway and have never seen a spark fall out. Not sure how a spark would shoot through the bottom grate then bounce off the bottom of the egg through the firebox opening then through the bottom vent. I love my KJ so far. Its great how it ships you literally lift the 4 sides off the box and its fully put together sitting in the stand. 10 minutes after opening you can be firing it up.
  • cortguitarman
    I just had a few sparks fly out through my screen the other day. It was 2 little pieces of fly ash but none the less, I feel the screen helps these situations from becoming worse.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • plumbfir01
    plumbfir01 Posts: 725
    ill post a video up tomorrow if i get a chance about sparks coming from both ends... lots of moisture here on the river and my lump sparks something awful... it pops from the bottom and top of LBGE and KJJr
    Beaufort, SC
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Isn't hot ash blow out how Nature Boy's fire started and one of the factors that lead to BGE adding the screen? I wasn't around the BGE scene for that, but I thought I saw that mentioned somewhere.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Lit said:
    No screen but I don't use the screen on my eggs anyway and have never seen a spark fall out. Not sure how a spark would shoot through the bottom grate then bounce off the bottom of the egg through the firebox opening then through the bottom vent. I love my KJ so far. Its great how it ships you literally lift the 4 sides off the box and its fully put together sitting in the stand. 10 minutes after opening you can be firing it up.

Obviously you are a non-believer in the value of a screen and that's fine - but I AM a believer so please let me state my opinion. The picture below isn't all that great, but I took it without flash after being startled by the sound and then the bright glow. When I realized what had happened I ran back inside, grabbed my camera and took this picture! Even though it was taken minutes later those were some serious burning chunks which thankfully were stopped by that screen.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    @RRP highque grate I am guessing? I could see that with the high que due to the size of pieces that can fit through it. If that's the standard grate I may start using my screen.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    If you've had a flashback blow out the bottom vent while wearing shorts, you won't cook without a bottom screen. All I lost was leg hair, but with no screen could have been worse.
    fletcherfam Posts: 935
    I actually had hot coals come out and start to burn my table. Luckily I was right there. This happened with a standard grate. (two dark circles in the picture)
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited April 2014
    Lit said:
    @RRP highque grate I am guessing? I could see that with the high que due to the size of pieces that can fit through it. If that's the standard grate I may start using my screen.
    NO - it wasn't a highque grate, but you seem so opposed to the value of that cheap screen, which I don't quite understand -  so I'll quit endorsing it to you, but if others ask I will still tout the value.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Lit
    Not sure where you got that I am so opposed to it. I even stated in my last post that you quoted that I may start using it. I have never seen sparks come out of mine but if this many people have its probably a good idea to use it.
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure one of the reasons BGE added the screen was because Nature Boy (Dizzy Pig Chris) had his house burn down from a spark that popped out the lower vent.  Personally, I am a fan of the screen.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Sorry @DMW  I need to read more closely before posting.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Many times I have had many sparks pass through the bottom vent - even a few with the screen closed that still made their way through somehow. (and those are the ones I saw) I'm starting to re-think having my eggs on my deck. I also have a wooden table. This combination of things has me considering a stone outdoor kitchen. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • I do use a hique grate, and I have seen sparks/embers pop out bottom grate when I left screen open. First time it happened it burned a spot on my nice table so I put a foil lined brick in front of bottom grate to protect the table (sometimes I leave the bottom screen open on start up just to help crank the airflow--probably should not do that).  
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Anything new? My dealer said mid may but still hasn't seen one and didn't have a price yet?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    edited April 2014
    Anytime you play with fire, you need to exercise caution and expect the unexpected. I wouldnt let the lack of a screen keep me from buying a KJ Jr., nor do I consider the inclusion of a screen on my BGE a fail-safe against potential fire hazard. End of the day, if I light a fire in a BBQ or anywhere, I feel responsible for it.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • JNJGoeders
    JNJGoeders Posts: 90
    I called Headquarters Retail Division in GA...the gal told me Late July!  HURRY UP! I have been saving for one since March!!!

Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • JNJGoeders
    JNJGoeders Posts: 90
    Gogogordy said:
    Anytime you play with fire, you need to exercise caution and expect the unexpected. I wouldnt let the lack of a screen keep me from buying a KJ Jr., nor do I consider the inclusion of a screen on my BGE a fail-safe against potential fire hazard. End of the day, if I light a fire in a BBQ or anywhere, I feel responsible for it.
    While I completely agree with your general logic, as in "Anytime you play with fire..."  I am holding out for the MiniMax for two reasons 1) the screen.  I have seen flames/cinders/ash fly out of air flow opeing in the bottom of my XL BGE when the screen wasn't closed.   2) The quality of the ceramic.  I did a TON of research before I purchased my egg.  I looked at every kamado I could find and compared them.  BGE has the best quality ceramic with the best warranty in its' class.  I also throw pottery, and fire it myself. SO, I feel qualified to make that judgement.  GO BGE!!!
    Iowa, 1 BGEXL, 1BGEMiniMax, a truck, a camper and some horses and atvs :D Let's play!
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Our distributor told us that they will be available to ship to dealers in mid-late July.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Lit
    @JNJGoeders‌ i personally would not say BGE ceramics are better than any others. I would guess I have had about 10 warranty claims in 5-6 years. As far as the warranty they are great but KJ is right down the road from me so I have a feeling if I have a warranty claim they will be just as easy to deal with. When I called them up looking for a KJ junior they were completely sold out but invited me down to their warehouse to checkout a floor model they had so I could at least check it out. Kj without a doubt is putting way more thought into their accessories and its obvious their accessories are designed by daily users. For the ash door I tried to slide a small BGE ash door on to the KJ junior and the metal was too tight but with a screw driver and 10 minutes I can easily change that and slide the ash door in.