Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blown gasket

Options
Ah man! Just got a large egg last week. Made pizza last night, not sure why, but the gasket stuck together (top to bottom) and tore free when I opened it. So bummed. My dealer gave me a new gasket, but pretty disappointed. Hope I don't screw this up. Got it off and cleaned the glue. I will put on the new felt in a bit. Any advice? Thanks

Comments

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I'm a new egger too!  Common wisdom is to do a couple of cooks @ 350˚ to help season the gasket and get it to seal.

Good luck.
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It happens. You can use the gasket you received or get an aftermarket one like Cotronics, Rutland, or Nomex.

"Cure" the gasket with 3-4 cooks around 350-400.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yep. don't bother. It will just happen again. And again. You need to get a Rutland gasket and some Permatex Ultracopper to use as adhesive. Mine is 4 years old, looks new (albeit a bit dirty) and has handled anything I've thrown at it, including a few 900° cooks.

You can sometimes find it locally, but RRP on this forum sells it at a good price.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Options
    PS, some guys don't even bother with a gasket. Even if you do want one, you can still use the egg until you replace.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bluedemon1999
    Options
    That is good to know.
  • Bluedemon1999
    Options
    Put the new gasket on and it went on perfectly. I will let it sit 24 hours as directed and see what happens. If it fails, I will by the adhesive you recommended.
  • EggoMatic
    EggoMatic Posts: 130
    Options
    This looks like a case for @RRP to take care of you man. Once you put that Rutland on you can rest easy and not have to worry about changing your gasket like you are doing now.
    LBGE Virginia Beach, Virginia
  • Bluedemon1999
    Options
    I'm sure you're right, I got this one free so I figured I would put it on as instructed. If she fails, I'm definitely going the other direction
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Thanks Michael! 5 gaskets ready to ship in the morning making me now up to 1,101 to date!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Bluedemon1999
    Options
    He is now on the radar. This forum is impressively active and responsive. So glad I finally pulled the trigger on the BGE. Thanks guys!
  • Carolina Q
    edited April 2014
    Options
    RRP is Ron Pratt, a member here. Buys Rutland gasket material in bulk and sells lengths of it based on the size of your egg. No splicing for the XL peeps, no buying 7' for a mini. I think he charges what it costs him (per foot) plus shipping. He actually charges less per foot than I can buy it here (off a large spool at my local hardware store), but I don't have to pay shipping.

Ron's been doing this for years. Last I heard, I think he said he's sold over 1000 gaskets.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Not knocking @rrp or the Rutland but this is a 4yr old BGE gasket. It is dirty but still functions great. I don't do a lot of high temp cooks and my clean burns are only around 600*. Maybe I have been lucky. image

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Not knocking @rrp or the Rutland but this is a 4yr old BGE gasket. It is dirty but still functions great. I don't do a lot of high temp cooks and my clean burns are only around 600*. Maybe I have been lucky.
    Yeah, maybe. :)  Mine lasted a few WEEKS at low temp cooks before it failed. For the past 4+ years, my Rutland has been through everything I can throw at it (up to 900°) with no problem.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I went through 3 gaskets in a year before going with the Rutland. If it ever fails, which I doubt, I will put another Rutland on the egg. My experience was that the nomex gaskets didn't fail. The adhesive (3M Super 77) failed. This causes the gasket to fall into the fire which it couldn't withstand. With that being said, the nomex is good. The Rutland is better.

I believe new eggs are coming standard with nomex gaskets now.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    My nomex lasted about a year. ..rutland now.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    Options
    RRP said:
    Thanks Michael! 5 gaskets ready to ship in the morning making me now up to 1,101 to date!
    make that 6!
  • FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    Options
    Yep..Rutland solved all my problems...haven't replaced a gasket in 3 years even with nuclear burns. 
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    And would these Rutland gaskets ship to Canada? I just blew mine out in a clean burn. I knew it would happen, its been going bad for a while and i and have a replacement handy but if there is a better option than what I have...
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Bluedemon1999
    Options
    Just emailed RRP to place an order. Now if my new one blows, I'll have the real deal ready to go
  • keepervodeflame
    keepervodeflame Posts: 353
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I purchased a new large egg, last month. I was used to cooking on my old Vision which was equipped with a nomex gasket. I heard that BGE was fitting their new eggs with nomex. The gasket on my new egg was silver grey and the nomex I was familiar with had always been white. I called the mothership and spoke to Duane who told me that the silver grey gasket was, in fact, BGE nomex. I have done 3 high heat pizza cooks at 600 + since then and my gasket looks exactly as it did, new, on day one. I bought an extra gasket from my dealer, but at this point it does not look like I will need it for quite some time. 
  • RRP
    edited April 2014
    Options
    gmac said:
    And would these Rutland gaskets ship to Canada? I just blew mine out in a clean burn. I knew it would happen, its been going bad for a while and i and have a replacement handy but if there is a better option than what I have...

I ship to Canada all the time and to date to 10 other countries! Send me a PM, but I'm off to bed now so won't be replying til tomorrow
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I'm with @Mattman3969, my Nomex is over two years old and is working like a champ. Friend's KJ has a five year old Cotronics on it. 

What always concerns me with Rutland is the food safe issue. Given the cost, which is less than a couple of dollars for a factory built egg assuming BGE would buy Grapho-Glas tape in rather large quantities - you have to ask why BGE, Primo, Visions, KJ etc… do not use it. Given the gasket is the most common failure (BGE seems to be getting more years out of their Nomex gaskets) and is only warranted for a year, a lot of customer good will could be bought if BGE used a "last forever" Rutland. Why don't they?
    I use Rutland on my wood stove, but I will stick to either Nomex or Cotronics for my egg. Just my opinion. 
    @gmac - RRP will ship to Canada, but I'm betting there is a wood stove store in Woodstock that can help you if yo need immediate help.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Has anyone tried asbestos?  It's really, really heat resistant, 100% natural (and you know natural stuff isn't bad for you) and Coors filters (or used to) their beer through it, so I don't think it's dangerous to eat some now and then.  Pretty neutral in flavor I'd wager.  Just don't inhale the stuff.
    Options
    I used enriched plutonium...gives a certain glow.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    henapple said:
    I used enriched plutonium...gives a certain glow.
    Put that Rutland on and it is one step above plutonium, of course it doesn't have the ability to get the OO going the way the glow from Pu does... nor does it have a half life that will outlast the ceramic in the egg itself. 
    Me, i'm with @nolaegghead, one of the less deadly derivatives of SiO4 would make a great gasket - it will last longer than the owner and it could even be used to line the fire box. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!