Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak question

My Steaks just don't turn out as well as I would like. I have a Large and most of the time I cook 4-5 steaks,at once and seems like they never cook evenly. I started to wonder if I should ignite all the lump before I start cooking? I normally get the egg up to 450-500 before I start but I still have unlit coal when this happens. What do most of you all do? Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Reverse sear rib eye. Home run after home runimage this is how they started. Indirectimage
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @pigoutsc‌ ...what method are you using?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • pigoutsc
    pigoutsc Posts: 92
    Hey Henapple. Last couple of cooks have been 450 or so direct. 
  • grege345
    If your going to cook steaks straight thru at 450 I would think you would have to move them around. Rotating steaks from the back to the front. Steaks toward the rear by the hinge will cook faster than the ones in the front

• henapple
    Try a reverse sear. I go indirect around 250 till 110. Take out the placesetter and crank it up as far as you feel comfortable. BURP THE EGG AT HIGH TEMPS. I finish open flipping often till 125 or 130. I also sear on my cast iron platter. Take off and tent with foil...just lay it over the steaks..5 minutes and I'm eating. There's many methods but that's what I do.
  • pigoutsc
    That sounds good. I have done that before but hate messing with the hot platesetter. Maybe the best way though. Thanks
  • henapple
    Just some decent gloves. Before you lift it have a close place to set it. It's worth it.
  • grege345
    pigoutsc said:
    That sounds good. I have done that before but hate messing with the hot platesetter. Maybe the best way though. Thanks

pswoo will can help from touching hot platesetter but as @henapple said welding gloves will work well

• henapple
    I have welders glove but also keep cheap leather construction gloves around. As long as you move with a purpose you'll be fine.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited April 2014
    Here's another idea...hot tub your steaks before you even put them on. That way the internal temperature will be 100 or more before they go on your egg and then just sear them direct at 650 to 700 degrees or even higher for a few short minutes and you are through and serving Great steaks!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Personally on bone in steaks I use procedure @henapple‌ described. For steaks with no bone I start raised direct 325℉ till med rare, pull let rest, bump temp to as high as you are comfortable (I've been going to 700℉-800℉) then let c.i. pan heat up butter and steak in for 2-3 min per side allowing for nice crust (and of course take the i.t. to get steak to persons liking). But, as you can see there are many methods to making great steak. You'll find the way that works best for you.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP
    To each his own, but I still am a BIG fan of hot tubbing. Here for instance is a prime rib I egged to med rare to our liking. Heating the meat internal temp and then just searing the exterior is a kick butt way of egging steaks and chunks-o-cow.
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    Dome at 650. Throw steaks on. At 2 mins. Burp and flip steaks. After 2 more mins. close vents. After 2 more mins., pull steaks and tent for 3-5 mins. Ready to serve in about 10-12 mins. total for medium doneness.
  • Orthobear
    Orthobear Posts: 84
    I get the dome to 550-600 then sear the steaks 2 min per side, then take off and foil tight. Then I close the vents down to about a half inch, put in my AR, which has been outside of the egg, and let the temp drop down a little (around 400 or so). Then I finish them off raised. Doesn't need much time once putting them back on since they still cook while wrapped tightly in foil.
    Houston, TX
  • pigoutsc
    RRP said:
    To each his own, but I still am a BIG fan of hot tubbing. Here for instance is a prime rib I egged to med rare to our liking. Heating the meat internal temp and then just searing the exterior is a kick butt way of egging steaks and chunks-o-cow.
    Looks Good. I may try that
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I hot tub thinner cuts or hot and fast with frequent flips.

For thicker cuts I reverse sear.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    I used to buy whole filets from Costco and cut them into steaks and freeze. Thinner ones for my wife and thicker for me. She always had some left over and since they were past medium, I didn't want to finish hers. So we had another couple over last night and I took a whole filet and cut a section that would give us each a 2" piece, knowing the ladys would only want a thin slice and us guys would get a thicker piece. Cooked at 300 on raised grid, had a CI griddle on the spider below. Pull at 110-115 and rested. Removed the grid and opened up the vent, got to 600 in a matter of minutes. Seared 90 seconds on each quarter turn (total of 6 minutes). Pulled and it was 125-130, tented and rested for 10 minutes.

I had seasoned with worcestershire sauce and my espresso-cocoa rub. After the rest, set it on a board sauce of EVOO, parsley, garlic, salt and pepper. Sliced two 3/4" pieces for the women and guys each got pieces over 3" thick. The result was no left over pieces and everything was a perfect medium rare. Personally I don't care much for filets, as they don't have much flavor, so we made a gorganzola cream sauce that was great and had some left over dressing and VI's jalapeno cream corn.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • It is virtually impossible to not have a hot spot somewhere on any grill. I use a cast iron skillet. The cast iron heats evenly. Try this:

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    You know I had to go look up hot tubbing....being the 3-month old newbie that I am.. My question is......"is hot tubbing the same as SV"????

Just kidding guys.....please don't get started !!!!!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• pigoutsc
    I appreciate all the helpful advice
  • RRP
    edited April 2014
    dldawes1 said:
    You know I had to go look up hot tubbing....being the 3-month old newbie that I am.. My question is......"is hot tubbing the same as SV"???? Just kidding guys.....please don't get started !!!!!!
    Yes - Hot tubbing is a "poor man's SV" - all you need is hot tap water, a small container to keep it in for an hour or so plus a clean food safe plastic bag and twisty to place your meat in while hot tubbing. BTW welcome aboard!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I agree with Brimo. I did a 1.75 lb porterhouse tonight in 10 mins to medium. I got the dome temp to 700°, put the steak on for 2 minutes, flipped for 2 more minutes, then pulled it to the side, closed the top & bottom and took it off after 6 more minutes. If you want raw go for 2 to 3 minutes when closed. Give it a try. I saw this technic on You Tube.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    @BigGreenCraigdotcom

WOW.  That is THE method I've been digging around for.  My mom and dad are coming to our house this Memorial Day.  My old man is going to help me install carpet in the newly finished basement, and I'm trying to come up with two or three days worth of knock-your-socks-off meals.  This will be the first thing on that list.  Your website is now bookmarked. 

The goal is to convince him to buy one of his own.  If I make something like that, it will be a pretty easy sell. 

Thank you!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE