Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg+searing meat

Options
Pretty new to the egg. Have had a medium for a few months now. Traditional grilling wisdom says set up your grill as close as possible to hot coals for a proper sear/crust, especially on steaks. The egg has a large gap between the fire and grill. Using an Adam perry lang technique has gotten me around this when using my egg for beef. (Lots of fat basting+flare ups = crust and flavour).
Question: anybody tried buying a smaller grill to set deeper into the egg, thus closer to the fire? (Ps. First time on forums, be gentle.)

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    Options
    smaller grill works, you can also just fill the lump up to the grill level
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Like this? :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Poo_hand
    Poo_hand Posts: 3
    Options
    Love it. All over that.
  • SunDeviledEgg
    Options
    great user name.
  • SpartanPride
    Options
    I cut down a Bradley rack and dropped it down on the coals. Worked pretty well but I'd probably go with a more heavy duty grate like Carolina Q.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    you don't NEED a grid. just drop it on the lump, commando.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,767
    edited April 2014
    Options
    commando leg of lamb

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Poo_hand
    Poo_hand Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the pics. Love em. Used to drop meat directly on coals when I had my weber kettle. Just haven't attempted with the egg. I'll nut up and do it.