Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Req: Chili & Bread Recipe

Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 974
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I would like to make chili on my large and some bread to go with it on my small for tomorrows Giants game. I ran out of pulled pork and I do not have any brisket. I have a couple of chili recipes that we do make on the stove but I would like to make one on the BGE. Anyone have a tried and true chili recipe that has a good smokey flavor? I would also like to make a good bread to go along with the chili. Nothing fancy just something to go along with the it. Thanks!!
Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• CampCook
    CampCook Posts: 157
    Retired RailRoader,
    There are several good chili recipies in the recipe section. If you already have a recipe you like, I would start with that one, do it in a cast iron pot and cook it in the egg uncovered at a dome temp of 300 to 350 degrees.[p]Other than that, here is my favorite adapted for the egg.[p]Green Chili Stew[p]The secret to this recipe is good green chilies – roasted and peeled. Fresh are best. Other wise use frozen or canned.[p]Ingredients:
    ¸ 2 _ or 3 pounds of meat. A beef roast, stew meat or venison all work well. Leave some fat on or add suet.
    ¸ Six pack of beer (I prefer regular beer rather than light in this recipe. Don’t worry about the alcohol, it leaves during cooking – at least that is what I am told. Also, beware of dark beers. They can leave a distinct flavor. If you find too much beer flavor, stir in some oregano to compensate.)
    ¸ 6 whole onions – coarsely chopped
    ¸ 8 whole tomatoes
    ¸ 6 to 12 whole Long California or Sandia chilies, roasted and peeled. (If you must substitute frozen or canned, use 8 or more ounces of chopped HOT chilies.)
    ¸ 8 to 10 cloves of garlic - chopped
    ¸ Oil and butter as required
    ¸ Spices:
    1 tbsp. Salt
    1 tbsp. Pepper
    2 tbsp. Red pepper, crushed
    1 tbsp. Cumin
    2 to 3 tbsp. Paprika[p]Procedure:[p]1. Cut up meat into bite size chunks
    2. Sear the meat on the big green egg. (Alternatively, brown the meat in oil - stir until all pieces nicely browned. But, the BGE gives a better flavor)
    3. Add beer and beef to large Dutch oven on the BGE. (Dome temp no higher than 350 degrees)– bring to boil, then simmer for 45 minutes to an hour.
    4. In separate fry pan, brown onion and garlic
    5. Chop up tomatoes and chilies.
    6. Mix spices.
    7. After meat has cooked in beer, add onion, garlic, chilies, tomatoes and spices. I like to put some in, cook for awhile, then add the rest.
    8. Stir well and cook in BGE for at least 60 minutes. (It should just bubble slowly). A smoky BGE environment is best. Continue to stir occasionally. Add more spices to taste if required.[p]Options:[p]1. Sometimes I soak the meat overnight in the beer.
    2. A “roux” made from 1/2 to 1 cup flour browned in 1/2 to 1 cup lard may be added before vegetables and spices if desired.[p]Enjoy. You will find this recipe needs to cook for a while to make sure all of the flavors mix. This recipe makes a bunch but it freezes and re-heats well.[p]PS: If after tasting this mixture is too spicy hot for your palette, let the mixture cool and chill in refrigerator. On the first chill, a layer of fat will form on the surface. Skim part or all of fat layer. The spices will concentrate in the fat. Stir remaining mixture and reheat.[p]Note: I found a version of this in an old book about chili called a “Bowl of Red”. The recipe has been refined and tested to my liking (and memory) over the years.

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    CampCook,
    I tried this today and it was fantastic. Thanks for the recipe. A bit spicy but nothing a few beers to go with it couldn't fix. ;) I just tried a bit of it tonight but this and some cornbread will be my main course tomorrow while watching football. Just another advantage to living in New Mexico; an abundance of Hatch green chilis.