Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

hey AZRP - roasting chestnuts

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
saw your questions about roasting chestnuts .. . [p]first. .. most grocerys carry fresh chestnuts in the fresh produce dept. .. . just ask.. .my safeway has them in barrels right near the fresh bulk nuts .. . .[p]DSCN0647.jpg[p]roasting them is easy. ..set up your egg like you would for a pizza (in my case, inverted plate setter with grid and pizza stone). .. set dome temp at 425 degrees. .. .i like a chunk of wood (something like apple, cherry or pecan), it adds a nice flavor to the nuts, and when they are chopped up in your stuffing, don't add that much smokey flavor to the stuffing.. . .[p]like has been said, cut the X in them so they don't explode, and put them on the stone for 25 minutes. .. . NO LONGER than that. . .if you leave them on too long they do get mushy. .. .[p]remove them, let them cool, and peel. .. . [p]you can do this a couple of days in advance and just keep them in the fridge if you want. .. i'll probably roast mine on tuesday night. .. [p]HTH

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome,
    I received a shoppingbag of chestnuts from a friend a while ago. How do you preserve them raw, cooked? Is it too late?
    I made an orange chestnut focaccio but haven't had time to do much else lately.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    kk,
    raw?. ...they last a long time. .. .go ahead and roast some up and see how they are. .. .[p]cooked, peel em, throw em in a tupperware and keep in the fridge. .. i think if you did them today, they'd still be fine for thursday. . ..

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Options
    kk,
    Make sure their dry before storing in the Refrig, or a cool, dark place. My favorite 'no muss, no fuss' way of cooking them is to slit them, then boil them for about 35 mins. Key: after cooking don't leave them out at room temp for long. I left some out last week for about three days and they got moldy and looked like they were nestled in an Italian women's unshaven armpit!!!

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thanks, my Safeway has fresh chestnuts so I'll roast some this afternoon. I didn't have any luck finding them in a jar. -RP

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    I bought some today and will follow your method - gotta ask though since in 61 years on this planet neither my wife or I have ever had chestnuts. What do I do with them? Eat as a snack? Plain? I only bought 18 so it's not like my purchasing a lifetime supply of juniper berries a few years back!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BlueSmoke
    BlueSmoke Posts: 1,678
    Options
    RRP,
    There are few better snacks than a handful of chestnuts right out of the roaster. They're also great in the stuffing next Thursday.[p]Ken