Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Uh oh, touring again! :D

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
In Austin, doing a lil tour! Ugly weather, but the food should be great!
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Can't wait for the report!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    "This brisket sure is moist...."  Curse you rain!!!

Nice.  Post lots of pics.  A lot of nice scenery on the UT campus.
    Options
    Go ahead and rub it in with gusto...enjoy the eating circuit :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Sweet!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Darn you. Darn you to heck.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Now I know what normal people feel like in Austin...no special stories to report and it wasn't free.  lmao

The food was unreal...La Barbecue really hit out of the park!  No @eggcelsior and The Cen-Tex Smoker, it wasn't better than Franklin, but a 30min wait for this quality of BBQ is hard to beat!  :-\" The pork ribs blew me away!  Last visit, I thought the pork rib was pretty bad...the low point of the visit.  After I left, I texted John and told him how unreal they were.  He said he just changed his seasoning and glaze on the ribs and was glad I liked it.  The glaze was good and the seasoning was very bold.  

Exceptional flat!!   =P~

Man, the boy had a great time playing in the rain!  I'll call this the ever changing faces of Kyle!   :)

Next, I wanted to hit up Micklethwait Craft Meats  so I could get a sammie on his homemade bread.  The brisket isn't on the same level as Franklin or La, but damn, the bread made that sandwich!  Brisket had nice strong flavors and just enough fat.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yeah, but when I come down I get sorry bbq and you take 30 bags of lump.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    Options
    henapple said:
    22 bags!!!    b-(
  • Socalcajudo
    Socalcajudo Posts: 132
    Options
    Amazing food trip report. Now I'm feeling so hungry. If only Austin was close by.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks like you had a blast again. That roll is what I'd like to try, just got some of my bread books back after loaning them out, want to work on a good roll, that crust looks perfect.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Options
    Wow, that sandwich does look out of this world good...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    henapple said:

There are good people just a little north of @cazzy‌, we'll set it right. :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    edited April 2014
    Options
    what a sorry life you lead... eating stellar bbq... occasionally for free, at that.

I wish it were mine :)

BTW, I would gladly take the 30min wait at La Barbecue over the many hours in line for Franklin's. I don't care how good it is. 

And the pics of your boy are priceless. Looks like he had a great time!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks like a great way to spend the weekend.  These pictures make me miss living in Memphis.   :(
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Great pics! Your son is beautiful!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That sammich looks unbelievable.  Love the pics of your boy! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    pictures are off-the-hook, caz!
    Options

Nice report cazzy, you're spoiling the boy with all this good Texas Q.  ;)

I know you love Franklin, but man, you've got my full attention.  Would gladly wait 30 minutes for that Texas offering sampler.  Even the sandwhich at Micklethwait looks perfectly cooked. 

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    edited April 2014
    Options
    cazzy said:

This - this right here - this is insane.  That is one heckofa plate of food!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Thanks everyone!  

@caliking @PNWFoodie @SmokeyPitt

I'm obviously partial to him, but he's just a fun kid!  Lot's of energy and very loving!  PNW, I think he's beautiful too!   :)

@nolaegghead  I always like compliments like that from a fellow shooter!  Preesh!
  • cazzy
    Options
    Focker said:

Nice report cazzy, you're spoiling the boy with all this good Texas Q.  ;)

I know you love Franklin, but man, you've got my full attention.  Would gladly wait 30 minutes for that Texas offering sampler.  Even the sandwhich at Micklethwait looks perfectly cooked. 

Yeah man!  I will still do Franklin 2-3 times a year...but La BBQ is a once a month type of place!  

That was a killer sammie, would get it again in a heart beat!  For his plates, he hands out homemade thick cut white bread!  He's using the same brisket packer that they use at La BBQ.  IBP Prime CAB
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Looks like a great weekend spent with your little man tearing up some stellar BBQ. Enjoy it! They grow up way to fast. Our Son is 19 and with 3 jobs, college and his band playing gigs I don't get to see him nearly enough. We have a tight family so it blows not seeing him (pre-empty nest syndrome I guess). Good to see good Dads out there that step it up to be there for their Sons and Daughters :-). Here's a song my wife and I would sing to each other when we thought we were "to busy" for family and it is so true. I'm glad I've put family first :). And appears you do also ;)
    Harry Chapin Cats in the Cradle (Soundstage): http://youtu.be/-s5r2spPJ8g
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy‌... The forum is a hippie on a Grateful Dead acid trip. =)) I noticed it too. Strange.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed how posts are all out of whack?  NPH was responding to me calling him a hippie, but it's showing up before my post.  

*******It just did it again...this should be most recent!
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @cazzy‌ ...I'm a 2nd amendment sort of hippie. Peace through superior fire power. :-P + I'm not much of a singer but, that song has a powerful and true message. Always busting balls aren't ya :-). Was just saying your a good Dad :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • cazzy
    Options
    Looks like a great weekend spent with your little man tearing up some stellar BBQ. Enjoy it! They grow up way to fast. Our Son is 19 and with 3 jobs, college and his band playing gigs I don't get to see him nearly enough. We have a tight family so it blows not seeing him (pre-empty nest syndrome I guess). Good to see good Dads out there that step it up to be there for their Sons and Daughters :-). Here's a song my wife and I would sing to each other when we thought we were "to busy" for family and it is so true. I'm glad I've put family first :). And appears you do also ;) 
    You weren't lying, you are a hippie! Were you all wearing tie dye shirts when you serenaded one another?   :P

You're right, they do grow up very fast!  Trying to enjoy as much as I can!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy‌ ....hmmm now it's back on track. Crazy. b-(
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    Above posted at 9:23!
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    That is one sweet little fellow. Enjoy! ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !