Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

First Steaks in Cast Iron

Inspired by a recent post by@BigGreenCraigdotcom, I decided to do some steaks in a cast iron skillet on the Egg. I followed Craig's blog post here:

http://www.biggreencraig.com/cast-iron-filet-mignon.html

I seasoned them with DizzyPig Raising the Steaks and let them sit for a while. I wanted the Egg around 500 and heated up the pan for about 20 minutes. I put the steaks in and I think my fire was a little hot as they smoked like crazy. I flipped after about 2 minutes and cooked the other side same amount of time.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

After flipping the second time, I added some butter and garlic to the pan and closed off the vents to create an oven effect. After another minute or two they were done. I let them sit for a little while, while I cooked some asparagus on the Egg.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

The crust on the steaks when you do this way is unbelievable. I'm not sure why the steaks look so red as that wasn't the case. The flavor was outstanding and big thumbs up from the family. Next time, I will probably use more rub and take them off of the Egg a little sooner because they were probably a little past Medium which is where I like it. I am definitely doing this again.
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments