Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sear then slow cook

UXB
UXB Posts: 21
This afternoon here in NC I'm planning to Egg a 3 lb. pork loin, rolled, that has been marinating overnight. I've decided I want to sear it ahead of the slow cook but I have some concerns: !. Will cooling down the egg (to 325 degrees) be an issue? 2. How long should I sear over direct flame before going indirect and what temp should I sear at and I assume I'll sear with the lid down? 3. How long can i expect the indirect cook to go before internal temperature reaches about 140 degrees? 4. Is wrapping and resting then recommended? 5. If so, for how long?

Many thanks guys!

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    1) Yes and no. 450 to 350 isn't too tough. 600 to 275 is a lot tougher.
    2) Sear for a minute or so on each side... 450°+ is the typical sear temp, but see the answer to question 1.
    3) 3 lb pork loin won't take too long. Half an hour ish.
    4) Resting it under a loose tent of aluminum foil for 10-15 minutes is fine. It just depends on when you are serving dinner.
    5) See #4

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    Any reason why this method over reverse sear?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• UXB
    Well..... a perfectly valid question. Originally I was concerned with the logistics of handling all that hot equipment to get from the indirect to the direct. However, I now have changed my system a bit and think I can handle the changeover from indirect to direct with minimal difficulty. Thanks for jarring my consciousness. I am now going to go with the reverse sear so I won't have to worry about lowering the temperature. Firing things up now!!!
  • UXB
    Then, with a reverse sear, and a target internal temp of about 140, I guess I should pull it from the indirect mode at a number around 120 or so... assuming the direct reverse sear will bump it up another 10+ degrees. Your thoughts appreciated! 
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    That's about right.  Maybe even 115.  That will let you sear a little longer, and remember it will continue to rise as it rests.
    NOLA
  • Chris_Wang
    edited April 2014
    Yeah... I agree with Buzd. Really, anywhere in the 120 range should be fine.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• UXB
    Thanks guys!! A great resource here.
  • UXB
    The finished product was quite good. However... After the direct sear process I pulled the meat at 135... because I accidentally let it stay on too long. It was then foil wrapped to sit for 25 minutes. The final temperature, after it rested, was 157 degrees. It was still quite moist but I would've preferred it to be closer to 140. The wife, however, preferred it the way it came out so all was well. Next time I'll either finish the sear at a lower temperature or, obviously, let it rest for a shorter period.  Thanks again.
  • Chris_Wang
    Congrats. Any pics?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer