Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal temp for Spare Ribs

Options
to get the best texture and yet get a tender rib and does anyone on the farm use the BBQ Guru to get that perfect temp?

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    The BBQ Guru is a fine tool. But all you need for A & A+ ribs is the bend test.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Bend test to around 90* or so with a full rack of ribs-if you cut them or equally as accurate in my opinion is the toothpick test-insert into the thickest rib meat and no resistance in or out = ready to eat.YMMV-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    I don't bother using my Guru for ribs - more effort than benefit, but if you have a Thermapen you can check the meat between the bones! You'll find a reading between 198 and 202 will mean you have some mighty fine ribs! BTW I don't use the bend test simply because I always cut my rack in half to start with.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    When the ribs bend to 90* and the meat just starts to tear, they ribs are near perfect!!!
  • PA Dutch Egger
    Options
    If we having friends over use guru so I can visit without interrupting conversation,  if only wife and myself don't bother.  I will have to check temp next time I do ribs. 
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I think the guru probe would be to big and the heat from the bone would throw off the temp anyhow. However if you wanted to check temp with a food probe the temp would be in the 190's.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Just for kicks and giggles here is half of a rack of spares I egged tonight indirect, turbo at 350 for 2 hours with Mickey's Rub and then hit with 50/50 Blues Original & Tenn Red. While to some they may appear to be overdone they were not and I pulled them off when my Thermapen read 202 between the bones. I could show you a pile of bones, but here is a quick picture before the feast!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bend test or toothpick test (if you cut the racks). No point in trying to measure the IT, as already stated above.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    gdenby said:

The BBQ Guru is a fine tool. But all you need for A & A+ ribs is the bend test.

+1

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.