Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE in a Salty Island Climate?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I live on Dauphin Island Alabama, and am wondering how the egg does in a salty air coastal environment? My intial thoughts were it would do great being ceramic but I was really wondering about the grilling surface & all the accessories. Will they be eaten up by the salty air just like my last 2 cheaper charcoal grills (one wheel has rusted thru & the grill cover hinge also)? I also want to purchase the nest egg and arm tables, and do these have a problem rusting in harsh climates. We have a local seller here called Sand Dollar Lifestyles and I just wanted some feed back before I possibly make a hefty purchase.[p]Thanks for reading!
Greg Graeber

Comments

• TideJoe
    Options
    Greg Graeber,
    I'm from the Baldwin county area and I know several boat captains in Orange Beach that have eggs on their boats. I main thing is probably just giving it a good freshwater bath every now and then.

• EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    I live 3 miles from the St.Lucie River....which is really a long intra-coastal waterway that goes along the Treasure Coast....West Palm Beach...Jupiter....Stuart...Port St. Lucie....Ft. Pierce....and Vero Beach (FL)....and haven't seen any salt water / salt air damage as of yet......and I've had my egg for nearly a year.....[p]I will say this.....in time you might very well have to replace the hardware.....But can't replace the really awesome food and the good times that we've had with our egg.....buy the damned thing![p]Ed
    Ft. Pierce, FL

• Greg Graeber,
    I live on a sliver of Miami Beach that is no more than 1/2 mile wide with the bay behind me and two canals between me and the ocean. In other words were surrounded bysalt water. After three years, some of the bolts are begining to show rust. I have also NEVER done anything to protect them, so I deserve it. The grid is fine, except for chipped porcelain from being droped so many times. Even with our abuse this thing is close to indestructable. Our large stood still thru Wilma, while our neighboors Sea Grape tree not 40' away blew over.
    With that said, I think stainless accessories look better.

• Bruce Fischer
    Options
    I got a cypress table for mine and put a coat of spar polyurethane on it.
    (The table, not the egg)
    'bluffer

• egghead
    Options
    Greg Graeber,
    Pensacola Beach, Florida had 4 feet of salt water, covering the island during Hurricane Ivan. My egg did not float away, I did repaint the hinge and band and after drying, smokes better than ever. Buy one, buy two!

• Capt. Dan
    Options
    Greg Graeber,
    I go fishing every year on the Sea Spray with Captain Bill Staff out of Orange Beach Marina. He has a large Big Green Egg bolted to the deck of his 65 foot boat. I have been going for a long time and I have seen the hot egg turned white with evaporated sea water and the remaining salt that is left behind. This happens all the time and it is still operating like it should. An important note though is the entire boat is washed down with fresh water whenever the Sea Spray returns to port.

• guavawood
    Options
    Greg Graeber,[p]I live next to the beach in Hawaii with salt spray and lots of rain. Holding up great! My weber kettle is another story...[p]Aloha![p]Greg