Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Saturday Night Jambalaya

Options
Yesterday's weather was pretty cold and crappy (until early in the evening) so, it seemed like a good day for chicken and sausage jambalaya. I spatched a chicken and used some andouille sausage that I'd made in Jan. The actual making of the jambalaya was done on the kitchen stove and the aromas are fantastic. This stuff is always a big hit and was again last night!

Here's the chicken on the egg

Everything prepped and ready for the cook

Ready to simmer until done

Ready to serve

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    I love Jambalaya. That looks great. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Me o my o big fan o jambalayo!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    That looks awesome! Phoebe inspired me to give it a go. I think I've got all your ingredients figured out. But the small piles chopped on the board, is that jalapeño, garlic and ginger? Also, what's the spice mix, and about how long do you leave it to simmer for?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Here's the recipe (sans his comments) from Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Tastes:

2 Tbsp vegetable oil
    2 cups chopped onions
    1 cup chopped celery
    3/4 cup (each) seeded and chopped green, red and yellow bell pepper
    1/2 lb. andouille
    1 Tbsp seeded and minced jalapeno
    1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic
    1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
    2 cups uncooked converted rice
    4 cups beef stock

Seasoning mix:
    2 tsp salt
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp dillweed
    1 tsp garlic powder
    1 tsp onion powder
    1 tsp paprika
    3/4 tsp dry mustard
    3/4 tsp ground dried ancho chile pepper
    3/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
    1/2 tsp cayene
    1/2 tsp ground dried pasilla chile pepper
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp white pepper

This recipe actually calls for 1 lb. of lamb sirloin, cut into 1/2 inch cubes. I've made it with the lamb before but often just use chicken instead. In the instructions below, I add the chicken in place of the lamb. Obviously, since the chicken is already cooked you'll need to adapt accordingly.

- heat vegetable oil over high heat until it begins to smoke. Add the onion, celery and all the bell peppers. Cook, stirring every 1 or 2 minutes for about 10 mins. Add the andouille and 1 tbsp plus 2 tsps of the seasoning mix. Cook, stirring and scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot every 2 mins., until the andouille is well browned, about 10 mins. You can deglaze the pot with some of the broth (and turn down the heat a bit) to prevent scorching.
    - Push vegetables and sausage to one side and add the lamb. Stir the lamb and let it brown slightly, about 4 minutes, then mix it in with the vegetables and sausage and add the rest of the seasoning mix. Stir and scrape the pot for about 4 more minutes then add everything else except the stock and stir it all together, making sure to scrape anything off the bottom of the pan.
    - If you turned the heat down earlier, turn it back up and add all of the stock. Cover and bring just to a boil, reduce the heat to low, stir once, then re-cover and simmer w/o stirring until the rice is tender and the liquid is absorbed, about 25 mins. Remove from the heat and let sit, covered, for 10 mins. before serving.

Enjoy!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    That looks delicious John! Thanks for posting the recipe and adding to my bookmarks!
    Flint, Michigan