Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first time salmon, help !

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Picked up about a 3/4 lb salmon fillet at the fish market. Have some dizzy pig raging river rub i was gonna use. was hoping for some help as far as time and temp. I know fish VERY delicate and can overcook quickly.
Thanks !

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Howdy Jenn
    Salmon is really flexible. Best way to tell doneness is to press on it. When it starts to firm up a bit it's ready. Still squishy and could probably go some more. You can sear it at 400 for 3 minutes a side, or slow cook it at 225 for several hours. I like it with direct heat at 275-350 around 8 or 10 minutes a side. The thicker the cut the lower the temp. The goal being to get a good crust built up right when the inside is a medium rare to medium. Just cook it til it starts to brown up good, then flip gently. The second side browns quicker, and you can start applying the maple syrup/butter mixture shortly after flipping.[p]Enjoy.
    Chris

[ul][li]Raging River Maple Salmon[/ul]
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Nature Boy,
    Thanks for the info. I was looking at middle ground and that helps. Wasn't going to slow cook or sear like a steak at high temp, though I may try that once I get the hang of it a little bit.
    Happy weekend !

• Prof Dan
    Prof Dan Posts: 339
    Options
    Jenn in GA,[p]I just do it for 40 minutes at 275, without flipping it. Comes out smoky and moist, and it's really easy.

• Jenn in GA,If you got a Publix near you try their bourbon salmon next time they have it on sale. We had it and a baked sweet potato one night this week and it was great. Cooked around 350/400 for about 3 min. on each side.[p]Poppasam
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Hi Jenn,
    All of the suggestions sound great. One final one is putting on a cedar plank. I let it go for about a half hour at 300. Plank is like you can purchase 3/4 by 5 1/2 by 15 1/2. I personally like all the ways suggested as long as its on the egg
    billyg