Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Price of a cover :(

Love my Eggs, and just got great warranty service form my local dealer on an issue with my Mini, But while shopping around for something else to buy to show my appreciation, the Medium cover for my basic Medium, no table, no eggmates, is $87 !?! That's crazy. Hope they aren't pricing themselves out of the market, 'cause the Egg prices looked pretty crazy too :(

Comments

• brock9281
    brock9281 Posts: 64
    Check out The Cover Store. Great covers available for just egg and nest and MUCH cheaper
    Atlanta, GA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Weber cover $8. Or leave it uncovered. :)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    SAMs cover $28 and it covers my table and egg. Been going strong 3 years and in Texas.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Cover? I have the one for my large... Used it twice in two years now.

Don't worry about the cover and just cook more...
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    I cook plenty, and generally do without a cover, but like to cover in winter so it is easier to open after a snow or long freeze. Just sad to see the BGE stuff priced so crazy. I will check out the Cover Store, thanks! 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I wish I had bought a different one(price) but I grabbed it for my medium back in the day. It fits my large too so I guess that's okay.
  • Husker_13
    Husker_13 Posts: 29
    I'm on the road until Friday but I found two great Weber alternative covers for my XL and medium. They are heavy duty & fit perfectly including side shelves. I didn't want to purchase the expensive BGE covers and I wanted black not green covers. Each one was less than $45. I don't have the model numbers of the covers with me but I can post them later if anyone is interested.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Sewing maching, fabric store, American ingenuity.  If you have those three things available to you, it's pretty easy to make one.  If the price of a cover is outrageous to you, then that's a good solution because you control the materials, quality and price.   Otherwise, surf the interwebs and buy something or put a lawn and leaf bag over it.
    edited April 2014
    Husker_13 said:
    I'm on the road until Friday but I found two great Weber alternative covers for my XL and medium. They are heavy duty & fit perfectly including side shelves. I didn't want to purchase the expensive BGE covers and I wanted black not green covers. Each one was less than $45. I don't have the model numbers of the covers with me but I can post them later if anyone is interested.

L-)  I'd be interested in XL cover info, please!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • I have one for my small. It's still in the box.
    Flint, Michigan
  • I got a cover at Lowe's for my LG egg for under $10. It works fine.
  • A leave mine out all winter in MN with no cover. A good broom after a snowfall is all it takes to brush the snow off. The EGG is the only reliable charcoal grill/smoker I have for winter cooking.
    Love smoking chicken...but they are hard to keep lit ;-) http://daveyrayland.wordpress.com/ Small Egg / Weber OTG 22" / CharGriller Trio / Masterbuilt 30" Electric
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Aloha
    BGE cover for my large here in Hawaii ....$145.00   Off to Lowe's and picked up a nice cover for $15.00

Because of the salt air and VOG we need a cover ... not just for the Egg but the table as well.

For those of you who have not experienced it VOG is the volcanic gas and grit that comes from the active volcano on the Big Island.

Aloha  
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Durangler said:
    Husker_13 said:

L-)  I'd be interested in XL cover info, please!
    +2
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • terry_b
    terry_b Posts: 68
    edited April 2014
    This cover is amazing. It is built with heavy duty material. Of course it doesn't fit very well over my large, but that doesn't bother. For the price and quality you can't go wrong.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    galen said:
    Aloha
    BGE cover for my large here in Hawaii ....$145.00   Off to Lowe's and picked up a nice cover for $15.00

Because of the salt air and VOG we need a cover ... not just for the Egg but the table as well.

For those of you who have not experienced it VOG is the volcanic gas and grit that comes from the active volcano on the Big Island.

Aloha  
    VOG sounds like some nasty "stuff" (feel free to substitute your favorite S-word as appropriate).

I can imagine needing covers to protect the covers with Volcanic Grit.  Presumably the gasses can form acid rain as well.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    I bought a camaflouge colored tarp at Harbor freight for $7 to cover my Large BGE with nest. Fits perfect when use with some bungee cords.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Husker_13
    The model number for the Weber heavy duty cover for the XL is 7574 (black color). It covers the XL perfectly including the side mates and extends down to the wheels. I picked it up at Lowes. I have tried two or three other covers and this one is ideal. I just turn the cover around so the Weber name is on the back side of the the XL. It also has velcro at the bottom to keep it from blowing away in the wind. Hope that helps. I can provide the Medium model number later if anyone is interested.
  • Basscat
    Basscat Posts: 803
    Medium model number would be great, thanks!
  • Husker_13
    The Weber model number for the Medium Egg is 7569- bought this one at Ace Hardware. It's heavy duty and black similar to the one I mentioned above for the XL. It is actually customizable and there are two zippers, one on each side. If you zip the zippers down to consolidate it will fit the medium perfectly. It will probably fit larger eggs too if you keep the the zippers unzipped. Very nice cover at half the price of BGE's. Let me know how they work out.
  • Husker_13

I have the model numbers switched around above. Guess I should have waited until I was back home today from the road to check instead of relying on memory. Corrected model #'s below:

Weber cover for XL- model # 7569- this is the one with the zippers. Still need to zip both zippers closed to fit the XL with side mates.

Weber cover for the Medium is model #7574- no zippers but Velcro around the bottom to hold it tight.

I love both covers and they both fit well. Sorry for the confusion.

• Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    edited April 2014
    I have this cover from Amazon. It fights my large on a nest with my side tables attached.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    I bought one from my dealer on her recommendation. It works OK, but pretty pricey. Wish I would have gotten advice here first.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    I got a generic birkman one for my egg table - fits great and $40.......
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Duck Brand covers are available from Home Depot online. They may also be carried in the stores, but I have not looked. They are said to be of high quality and reasonably priced.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Husker_13 said:

Corrected model #'s below:

Weber cover for XL- model # 7569- this is the one with the zippers. Still need to zip both zippers closed to fit the XL with side mates.

Weber cover for the Medium is model #7574- no zippers but Velcro around the bottom to hold it tight.

I love both covers and they both fit well.

Thank you very much, Husker13.
    I'll check into these.   :)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    This thread has just sparked my imagination. Have never used the cover for my large. Thinking I'll wear it out for Halloween.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini