Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

K.I.S.S. Packer

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
For Sunday early supper a packer with sides to be decided. This CAB Choice Packer after trimming weighed in at 11.8# (2# was lost during trim but, that's ok it was fat that would've never rendered). I have (after several discussions with @cazzy‌) decided to use the good ole KISS theory I often recited while in the Navy. Keep It Simple Stupid. This is a basic packer trimmed, rubbed down with kosher salt and coarse grain black pepper. Water pan I decided to use at the last moment and filled with Corona Light :-). Using WGWW Lump with mesquite wood and cherry wood for smoke. Egg is settled in at 250℉ dome. Finishing off a couple of Yuengling Black & Tan and then off to bed. See y'all in the morning.
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Navy 90-95. KISS Army since 77. Don't judge me!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Gotta eye on this one @NPHuskerFL. Looking like a great start!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @TUTTLE871‌...Navy (Aviation Support Equipment Technician) 92-99. Kiss Army 77 ;-). Not judging
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fence0407‌ l...I'm hanging with you on your "1st flat" also ;-).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fence0407
    Options
    @fence0407‌ l...I'm hanging with you on your "1st flat" also ;-).
    Speaking of....bout to get the fire started...fat side up or down??
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fence0407‌...that is a discussion in itself right there. I go down. I've done both and haven't seen a significant difference either way in an egg. In a stick burner it's a whole different story because of the draft causing meat to dry out. Stick burners tend to go fat cap up. Me I go down. It is a preference and opinion. Up to you ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fence0407
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - so I've read lol...I think I'll go with fat cap down. Got the cyberq dialing in to 225 as we speak. Gonna be a good night! 

I have hickory chunks in right now...apple or cherry on top?
    Cumming, GA  

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    @NPHuskerFL - so I've read lol...I think I'll go with fat cap down. Got the cyberq dialing in to 225 as we speak. Gonna be a good night! 
    Just to confuse you even more, I go fat cap up.  The Brisket Jedi, aka Cen-Tex also rolls up!    B-)
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @fence0407‌ I layer the wood in everywhere throughout the lump.
    @cazzy‌ I guess I'm living on the edge flying by the seat of my pants. I'm such a rebel lol :P
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fence0407
    Options
    cazzy said:
    fence0407 said:
    Just to confuse you even more, I go fat cap up.  The Brisket Jedi, aka Cen-Tex also rolls up!    B-)
    Lol damnit. Ummmmmmm up?!
    Cumming, GA  

• cazzy
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    cazzy said:
    fence0407 said:
    Lol damnit. Ummmmmmm up?!

=))
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fence0407‌....ah hell be a effing mad man and sit it on its side. You'll start a new trend :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fence0407
    Options
    @fence0407‌....ah hell be a effing mad man and sit it on its side. You'll start a new trend :))

=)) after this bottle of wine it might happen!
    Cumming, GA  

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ ct3 on a destroyer. I was the weirdo sitting in a room spying on people.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @TUTTLE871‌ my first roommate was a CT2 interpreter. We use to get crazy drunk to try to get him to tell us what he did. He was a rock! Good times good times. 92-99 active duty. 99-01 active reservist. Proudly served. USN!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TUTTLE871
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ first rule in A School don't mention a word what you do. It was good Times though and I was giggle about certain things going on though.

I was a CTR, the CTI's were the ones who were crazy.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @TUTTLE871‌ +3 loose lips sink ships...literally. and yep he was crazy as bat $#i+ and a CTI guess that's why we were roommates and got along well.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ My best friends were a MS and a QM they gave me s..t all the time of what I did. But come days end my MS buddy gave me cinnamon rolls hot out the the oven at 0200 and my QM buddy let me know exact location and exact times of when and were we were heading.
    I
    I used to give them sports hot of the press.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Well if the "humidity" helps inside and outside the egg for a smoke ring. I should be doing good. Just started to sprinkle as I'm starting on my last Yuengling for tonight.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fence0407
    Options
    "I'm starting on my last Yuengling for tonight."
    Only an old woman counts... :))
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @fence0407‌...lost count. Only know this is my last for tonight. This cowboy is tired and going to hit the hay. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fence0407
    Options
    @fence0407‌...lost count. Only know this is my last for tonight. This cowboy is tired and going to hit the hay. :-)
    Loosing count isn't a bad thing. Think I'll follow suit.
    Cumming, GA  

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Someone is sleeping in. Lol
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Woke up late (930am). Dome temp 330℉. Flat temping at.... 212℉! Hopefully didn't ruin this! I've never had a bad brisket ever. Will be disappointed if it is. Overslept so there ya go. FTC since around 935am. Will update when we slice it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • CheeseheadinAZ
    Options
    did you foil at the stall?
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014
    Options
    At 212, you're likely over. It will be tender, but will look very loose as the fat rendered too much.

Also, saying you've never made a bad brisket is like telling us you don't jerk off! :P If you were to compare your first brisket to your current, you'd probably be like oh. It's like looking back at your kids day one baby pics. I remember thinking my son was the most handsome baby ever when he was born. Then we looked back and I was, he kind of looked like a little ugly alien. Lol
  • cazzy
    Options

did you foil at the stall?

He was sleeping during the stall so no. ;)
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @CheeseheadinAZ‌...no. I woke up late. Missing the stall. Went to bed at 330am. Put on egg at 1130 pm grid temp 230℉. Went way fast. Hopefully didn't ruin it.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    cazzy said:

At 212, you're likely over. It will be tender, but will look very loose as the fat rendered too much.

Also, saying you've never made a bad brisket is like telling us you don't jerk off! :P If you were to compare your first brisket to your current, you'd probably be like oh. It's like looking back at your kids day one baby pics. I remember thinking my son was the most handsome baby ever when he was born. Then we looked back and I was like he liked kind of like a little ugly alien. Lol

Ya, SWMBO basically said same thing. Well minus the jerking off and ugly baby. But, real close. Lol

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy...now that I think of it. Worst brisket ever was on Kingsford tasted of creosote and got a little crispy with flare ups. So ya I've had worse but, will suck if this one is dry etc. But, live and learn. Will update with slicing shortly. One thing I did not second guess was i.t. using my new Thermapen. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014