Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Virgin

Options
AndymanBBQ
AndymanBBQ Posts: 6
I want to thank you all for your postings on Pork Butts. I recently purchased my BGE and have been having a BLAST cooking with it. I spent this week reading tons of the posting on cooking a Pork Butt and decided to give it a try.

Step 1. Purchase a fresh 8.5 lbs. pork butt from my local butcher. boneless nice and clean with some good marbling
Step 2. Covered it in my favorite pork rub, my creation from a few different recipes, (going to have to write that one down sometime soon) and let it sit in a plastic bag for 6 hours
Step 3. Stated up the BGE, got it to 225, loaded it up with Apple wood chunks, (I like the apple wood because it takes the smoke edge off on long smokes), smoked, for 3 hours, and cooked @ 200 for 6 more hours
Step 4. FTC for 9 hours (Had to go to class in the morning and couldn't get to unwrapping it earlier), I thought i was going to be bad.
Step 5. Unwrapped the but.... and .... OMG!!!!! this was AMAZING!!!!  The long FTC made the outside of the butt caramelize, it completely fell apart as I unwrapped it, the rub is a little spicy but the caramelizing was a bit sweet. This turned out so much better that I could have ever imagined!!

THANKS FOR THE POSTINGS ON THIS SUBJECT!!!!! Especially the folks that explained the FTC process!

This is Pork Butt Perfection!!

Comments