Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: The Masters

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Chill out homie. I couldn't care less about what he does on his own time. I'm just goofing around. :))
  • AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    edited April 2014
    We have 2 patrons passes each year.  If you have passes for all 4 days I would suggest you follow some of the past champions and older players who probably won't be around on Sat/Sun.  We've had fun following Mark O'Meara, Crenshaw, Larry Mize, etc.  Usually they sneak under the radar and very few patrons around.  Trying to follow Woods, Mickelson, or Couples is an absolute nightmare crowd wise.  Not worth the stampede.  Regardless take some time and see some of the historical attractions as well.  The Butler cabin, the Eisenhower house (only brick house for security), the par 3 course, and the Bobby Jones cabin. Take a walk around the clubhouse and see magnolia lane as best you can and if they still do it get your picture taken in front of club house.  Go over to the practice range and watch how the prepare or fix problems.  Walk the whole course to see all the holes.  Wear comfy clothes and sturdy/comfortable shoes, its very, very hilly.  Our favourite spots are the side of 10 green, 14 green, and 1 green.  Any of the par 5's you can get to tee boxes to watch how far they hit is awesome.  Pimento or chicken sandwich is a must as well.  Enjoy your trip, it absolutely one of the most beautiful places to do anything, let alone watch golf.  My pick for winner, Jason Day.  Have fun!!!!
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    I have been twice. Sunday of 06 and 11. I will agree with everyone that says walk the course. It is one of few places that exceeds expectations. The price is right for sandwiches and beer, don't expect to pay those normally inflated concession fees. A beer and sandwhich are less than 10 bucks.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

Chill out homie. I couldn't care less about what he does on his own time. I'm just goofing around. :))
    TW is a sore subject with me. Don't care how good he was on the course or how much he's worth (as if jealousy would make a difference in my life). No respect whatsoever. For any number of reasons.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Been a bunch- I don't do the chair thing as I can't stand sitting in one place. If this is your first time get out and walk. Great bleachers on amen corner (I prefer standing on the wood line) also around 16 is a good spot. 9 green is also good cause you can bounce back and forth from 9 and 18 greens. Also good spot to check out all the golfers hot girlfriends =((
    Greensboro, NC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Outside of his horn-dog adultery issues, why?

Now I'm just curious.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I have been a lot also. Definitely wear tennis shoes, a hat/sunglasses, and walk the entire course, I prefer back to front but it doesn't matter. You will be shocked at the contours of the greens and fairways. Number 10 looks easy on TV and impossible in person. Same thin with number 7 green. TV really doesn't do that course justice.

I agree that the best place to sit is in the top right corner of the grandstand to the left of 15 green. You can see 15, 16, and half of 17 from there. Whether you like golf or not, that is one amazing place.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Ospreydog
    Ospreydog Posts: 103
    Buy a flag at the souvenir shop and you can get autographs on it at the driving range. Walk the whole course it is beautiful on every hole. We have been going since the early 80's and I never get tired of. If you have a pocket knife leave it in the car, the security is about like going to the airport. Have a great trip.
  • r2davis65
    r2davis65 Posts: 148
    Forecast is great for Saturday. You will have a great time. I've only missed one since 1976 and they work hard to improve the experience every year. Leave the cell phone in your car. They're serious about that one. Food and drinks are cheap for a sporting event. If the main gift shop is jammed when you walk in, bypass it and hit the one on the back side of the course later. They have the same merchandise.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Be careful... Apparently there are glass houses lining the course in spots, be on the lookout for cast stones
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Thanks everyone! I have taken mental notes on everything and plan on soaking in everything that is Augusta National. 

Now - who's your pick?! I really think Matt Kuchar could put on the green jacket on Sunday.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• hapster
    fence0407 said:

Thanks everyone! I have taken mental notes on everything and plan on soaking in everything that is Augusta National. 

Now - who's your pick?! I really think Matt Kuchar could put on the green jacket on Sunday.
    He's the one guy I'd root against... I'm rooting for Bubba
  • fence0407
    hapster said:

Interesting - I would love to see Bubba win it again. I have a handful of players that I'd like to see win it, to be honest. Just have a feeling Kuchar is due.
    Cumming, GA  

• hapster
    fence0407 said:

hapster said:

fence0407 said:

Interesting - I would love to see Bubba win it again. I have a handful of players that I'd like to see win it, to be honest. Just have a feeling Kuchar is due.

Never had a good feeling about that guy.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    I would like to see lefty get his 4th.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    @hapster‌ Kuchar is a Georgia Tech guy so he's a favorite in these parts...

I'd like to see Keegan Bradley, Dustin Johnson, Luke Donald, or Lee Westwood make a good run of it.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• fence0407
    @Chris_Wang - could you imagine the intensity of Keegan putting for the win? That would be fun to watch!
    Cumming, GA  

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited April 2014

I think Kuchar has a good chance......at least he has been playing well lately.  Jimmy Walker's game fits ANGC and also should be in the mix and Jason Day has been close in the past and is due to close the deal in a major.  And don't forget about Jordan Spieth, even though he's a kid.  I would love to see Lefty take it again and would be my favorite to win in my heart.

Hard to pick one, but if I had to make a prediction, I'd go with Kuchar.  But I'm pulling for Mickelson above all others.    

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• fence0407
    @KennyLee - couldn't agree more!
    Cumming, GA  

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    My dark horse is Russ Henley. Be good to see a Georgia born boy win it.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • anez
    anez Posts: 150
    Awesome, man. HAVE FUN! went last year to a practice round for the first time (took my dad for christmas) and it was everything that I thought it would be. i kept leaning down to pick up some grass to make sure it was real. Just take it all in. And wear good sneakers … the hills were a lot steeper than they look on TV. 

really, just take it all in. everything is amazing. get there early (we left atlanta around 5 am and every car on the road to augusta was full of guys looking EXCITED) and stay late. 

Such an awesome place. 

enjoy. 
  • fence0407
    bo31210 said:
    My dark horse is Russ Henley. Be good to see a Georgia born boy win it.
    Solid pick with Henley. I think there are a few Georgia guys that might be wearing a green jacket next Sunday. Where about's in GA are you at?
    Cumming, GA  

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965

I'm going for the underdog but always a contender Boom Boom, he is playing well these days.

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    In Macon here so Russ is a hometown favorite as well
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Getting pretty damn excited for this to start.  Gonna be a great weekend.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I live 50 miles from the course. I have only been one time. Tickets are hard for us locals to get as well. Yesterday (Monday) it flooded most of the day so they called it. I feel really bad for those people that traveled from who knows where with tickets for Monday. 

They will get a refund, but that won't get them in the gate. We always have stories of people buying fake tickets and finding out at the gate and of course there are always one or two lunatics every year. So far we have a strong contender in that category, http://chronicle.augusta.com/news/crime-courts/2014-04-07/man-arrested-second-time-augusta-national?v=1396932864

The guy tried to get in at 8:30 Saturday night. Security advised him to leave. Apparently he is a Terminator fan because he did an "I'll Be Back" and 10 minutes later he "drove" past security onto the property. Of course he got arrested. 

At 9:00 AM Monday morning he showed back up in a rented 2013 Mercedes GL 450 claiming to be Adam Scott's father. The guy is from Pennsylvania. 

Many years ago when Tiger won his first Green Jacket there was a guy here selling "packages" that consisted of your badge, housing etc,. He would buy the tickets from individuals and mark them up and make a nice profit for himself. 

Well this particular year with all of the Tiger hype the tickets were being scalped for around $10,000 per ticket. The guy ran out of money and couldn't deliver the badges to his clients. 

He knew he was ruined so he killed himself. If I am not mistaken he did this even before the week was over. It was crazy. 

I hope you guys that go have a great time! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • fence0407
    @johnkitchens - that is crazy! What an idiot. On the other hand, the weather forecast looks great for the rest of the tournament!
    Cumming, GA  

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257

Pulling for Lefty and Freddy,  and maybe Westwood--I think as many close calls as he has had Id like to see him win a major at some point.....but if I had to pick a winner Id go with Jason Day.

Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    fence0407 said:
    I'm beyond excited to be attending The Masters a week from Saturday for the first time. Does anyone have any tips/recommendations for a first-timer? 

Good luck.  I would say try to keep the ball above your feet for your approach shots and below the hole on almost all the holes except 8, 10, and 14. The Eisenhower tree is gone this year so 17 I think will play a lot easier.
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    hapster said:
    hapster said:

Never had a good feeling about that guy.

I lost a lot of respect for that guy with his antics at the Presidents or Ryder cup a few years ago and with his recent meltdown blaming his caddy for an errant shot he made. Cant argue , boy can golf just a **** when he does it.