Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heat Deflector

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK, Busten another plate setter. Had a chipped leg, no big deal, but now it's in two pieces.
I was going to hang a lower grid and use a pizza stone. Is it out of the question to use a terra cotta plate saucer? The kind that is normally placed under a potted plant. Would attempt to breack the rest of the platesetter to fit on the lowered grid, but am sure it'd bust into pieces if I tried to break it neatly. They seem to be designed to breack neatly only when accidently dropped.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    BK,
    don't know if you have the tools, but maybe a friend does, but using a masonry cutting wheel you can cut it precisely to size and shape. Blades are realatively inexpensive and available for angle grinders and even circular saws. HTH

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    BK, hopefully C~W will pass this way tonight and give you some ideas about use of terra cotta as I know he has tried several things - in fact I'll ping him.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RRP, Good advice...Got your e.mail. I have made mini pizza's in terra cotta clay saucers, (not recommended) and have not broken them. Best is firebricks use as legs.
    The reason I don't recommend using anything but a proper stone or dish is the off flavor of the crust when I did them in the terra cotta clay saucers.
    I also have a two legged stone and use the FB's for the extra leg.
    Cheers..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    RRP, :-) been here, did that...cheers..
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,
    As usual I'm in need at the last minute. Ended up placing a tin foiled terra cotta saucer on top of a pizza stone. Filled the saucer with orange juice (guess it's a florida thing). Have two turkey breasts on grid with foil lined terra cotta saucer below for gravey.

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Options
    I'm sending a smooch your way, old friend.