Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pork Spareribs and spatchcock chicken Chupacabra Style

I am cooking the ribs with a slather of spicy brown mustard, and 2 gringo's chupacabra rub, cooking at 275, indirect for about 4 hours with Central Market Mesquite Lump, Pecan wood chunks and Jack Daniels, smoking chips for smoke. 

Then raises temp to 375 and cook the chicken, for about an hour and a half.  Chicken spatchcocked and rubbed with same chupacabra rub. 

Corpus Christi, Texas.  LBGE, Weber Smoky Joe, and Aussie Walk-About
·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,052
    Looks like you will be eating well later today!
    ·
  • TexanOfTheNorthTexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2014
    Sounds good.

If that's a 3-4lb. chicken I doubt it will take 1 1/2 at 375*. I just did one for some chicken for a chicken and sausage jambalaya I'm making for dinner and it only took about an hour @ 350*
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Sounds good.

If that's a 3-4lb. chicken I doubt it will take 1 1/2 at 375*. I just did one for some chicken and sausage jambalaya I'm making for dinner and it only took about an hour @ 350*
    It is a 4.35lbs, but do expect it to done earlier, thanks for the reminder, a bottle Goslin's Black Seal Rum is starting to give me dirty looks, so I might have to show it what fer.
    ·
  • direct or indirect on the chicken?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
    ·
  • direct or indirect on the chicken?
    That's a good point @Dragonwmatches! I was basing my comments on a raised direct set-up.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.

Indirect..

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,272
    I keep seeing the "chupacabra" label these last couple weeks, I thought it was a rare North American mammal, like a Bigfoot.  History?  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • Botch said:
    I keep seeing the "chupacabra" label these last couple weeks, I thought it was a rare North American mammal, like a Bigfoot.  History?  

I thought it was a devil-like creature from Latin countries (ie, Mexico) mythology. But what do I know?
    It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'
    ·
  • TexansurfTexansurf Posts: 290
    edited April 2014

It is  a Latin  American mythical beast  used to scare the ninos into  behaving.  Basically it translates into Goat Sucker..  They come out at night and suck the brains/blood out of goats and little children who are misbehaving or out to late.

·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,438
    Texansurf said:

It is  a Latin  American mythical beast  used to scare the ninos into  behaving.  Basically it translates into Goat Sucker..  They come out at night and suck the brains/blood out of goats and little children who are misbehaving or out to late.

I could use that at my house, to keep the little bastids around here in order as their parents don't.  :D

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • TexansurfTexansurf Posts: 290
    Well, here is my plate, I ate most of the ribs before plating, I was really hungry after an hour in the water....
    ·