Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Startup time

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Sitting here letting my egg come up to pizza temps after starting with an electric starter. Just wondering why anyone would want it to start faster? Sorry torch guys, having a few and enjoying my egg therapy session. :))image
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    Most eggcellent view and I'm slower than you...use non bge paraffin wax starter pieces-one for slow two or three for the high heat cooks.  Of course, I'm in the empty nest mode and thoroughly enjoy the quality time with the BGE.  Adult supervisory beverages run at about a constant flow so more start-up time...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Beautiful view. I like the weed burner and 5 minutes from lid open to cooking. My philosophy is that just because the Egg is ready doesn't mean I have to be. I also have 2 little kids so not a lot of time to sit around anyway. No kids and more time on my hands and I would be right there with you.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I'm just a redneck I guess. image

\:D/
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited April 2014
    The torch is less messy than fire starters or oil soaked towels and I don't have an outlet near my egg. Well, I do but I don't feel like getting out an extension cord.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I use the wax blocks... Don't mind the time at all
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    I use starter cubes. Love the tranquility...

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,427
    Paraffin squares here too.  
    One thing I do is always start the remaining lump first; if more lump is required I dump it on top of the remaining, burning lump, so the heat goes up and drives up the volatiles quickly.  Today I dumped about 2/3rds a load of lump into my Small, and it went from loading to clean smoke in less than 15 minutes.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• DMW
    Here's my little guy who joined me soon after lighting. And one of the pizzas. This was San Marzano, fresh mozz, red onion, basil, and oregano. Really good flavor combo.
    imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited April 2014
    I am a enjoyer of the start up time too @dmw No need to get in a rush!! And the pizza looks good too!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    I'm a torch guy, but that's just to get things started quickly and evenly. I have learned to relax and enjoy my beverage(s) while I'm letting it stabilize to temp. Also, during the regular time crunched weeknight cooks, it does help getting a good fire going quickly.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I like knowing that I have few minutes for the egg to get ready before I need to jump in... Plenty of time to grab a beverage
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    hapster said:

I use the wax blocks... Don't mind the time at all

Gives me time to prep and more importantly soak in all the outdoors. I'm outside right now enjoying the subtle scent of our citrus trees in bloom. Next will be all our jasmine and gardenias (lots of them). Not in a hurry here my friend. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    What a view you have there @DMW.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Jeremiah
    Yuengling! Nice, @NPHuskerFL‌!!!!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Jeremiah‌...ya decided to try this one out vs my usual Corona and key lime. Yep, I'm liking it!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Jeremiah
    Honestly I've never tried the black
    And tan. Lager only here. How's it different? Someone on here mentioned premium lager the other night but I don't think it makes it to sc. My mom is going up to pa next month so I'll try to attempt some exporting. :)
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Proud Father & a good looking son.
    Hang on tight, they grow like weeds!!
    :)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • DMW
    Durangler said:
    Proud Father & a good looking son.
    Hang on tight, they grow like weeds!!
    :)

Don't I know it, he's my youngest (4), his brother is 9 and sister is 12. I still can't believe I have one just 4 years from driving.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Jeremiah said:

Honestly I've never tried the black
    And tan. Lager only here. How's it different? Someone on here mentioned premium lager the other night but I don't think it makes it to sc. My mom is going up to pa next month so I'll try to attempt some exporting. :)

It's lager mixed with porter. Great stuff. I had a few at my sister in law's today. Starts off with a strong lager flavor and the porter comes through as it warms a little.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I started out with the 3 fire starter method (10:00,12:00,2:00) with 1/2 starter block at each location. I switched to the twisted paper towel and cooking oil method (2 places 10:00 and 2:00). Now I am using the 91% alcohol method at 10 and 2. The alcohol seems to be the easiest and fasting for me with my XL. Any negative drawbacks from using alcohol??? I have seen it mentioned before.....but not in this thread ?????

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!