Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Benefits of a Salt Block?

I was at my dealer yesterday and he was selling salt blocks for cooking. I remember discussions on these a while back. Do any of you use them? Also, we try to watch our salt intake. We season lightly with salt but don't use it at the table. Will this make my food too salty? Are there health benefits to using a salt block?
Mark Annville, PA

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Never used one... However, if I was inviting a doe or buck, I'd absolutely get one.
  • daffy1909
    daffy1909 Posts: 498
    I have the salt rock shot glasses!! They r great!!! Just need a slice of lemon and a bottle of Cabo!!
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    edited April 2014
    @cortguitarman I have one but seldom use it. No,food isn't too salty and it does a good job. I probably will break it out this week now that you asked. Believe it or not, you really don't season what your cooking the block seasons it. Scallops are really good on the block (come to think of it). My block gives a unique flavor to the food. As for health benefits, I don't know.
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I can understand the "romance" of having your food lightly seasoned by cooking it on a salt block, but it's gotta have a huge thermal mass, with a very long time to heat up to cook properly; I'd accept one as a gift but I doubt that I'd use it, and certainly wouldn't pay good money for one.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    @Botch‌ it said that it takes about 20-30 minutes to heat up. I'd think that you could bring it up to temp with the egg. They were $30. Compared to what I've spent on the egg, $30 isn't so bad. :D
    Mark Annville, PA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    I've seen them as high as high $200s for the pinkish looking 3"+ thick large blocks. I've only seen fish prepared on one and didn't get to taste it. I think I I'll stick to my kosher salt and regular spicing regimen. I've heard "it leaves it to salty" and I've also heard "wow this $#I+ is awesome". Would I try it? Yes. But, not gonna pay a ton of $$$ just to "try" something I may only use every blue moon. Imho.
    @Randy1‌ I've heard scallops, shrimp, etc were excellent? I was just about to buy the $150 one. Think it comes from some exotic salt etc not sure didn't read to far into it but, the idea itself was pretty cool. And I love fresh seafood here in FL. So hey, maybe it would be worth it. Not sure yet.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Randy1
    @NPHuskerFL‌ mine was a gift. It is Himalayan salt ( maybe they all are). I think it was $100. If you have access to fresh seafood I might say that it would be worth it for you. Everything I have cooked on it has been good. It has been so long since I used it.....I don't remember how good!?
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • NPHuskerFL
    @Randy1‌... That's it! Himalayan salt. This thing was huge that I was looking at. Large enough for close to 15-20 Sea Scallops, same on some jumbo shrimp or some nice sized fillets. Hmmm...my Birthday is next weekend. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Randy1
    edited April 2014
    @NPHuskerFL‌ Here's mine. It is sitting on a 12 inch tile. imageimageimage
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • NPHuskerFL
    Perfect size for doing most meals.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I love mine for seafood and just replaced my old one. I am actually breaking out the new one tomorrow. Scallops are outstanding on it as are shrimp and fish. It does impart a slight salt taste but very mild. I just watch how I season before cooking and it has never been a problem. It does take a while to heat up but pretty much just the time for the Egg to come up to temp. It is a little bit of a novelty but we definitely like ours.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I use mine for scallops, that's it. 
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    I have one that is  Himalayan  salt and I personaly have never used it my Son who is a chef uses it quite a bit and SWMBO also uses it and I have to say the food is not too salty it gives a nice flavor my son made filet mignon strips cut thin on the salt block he put the meat raw on the hot salt block and the meat was out of bounds!!!
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    edited April 2014
    Father's Day is coming. I don't know if I'll use it very often but it'll be another cool tool in the arsenal to keep turning out great food. Since we've had the egg, the variety of food we cook is so much greater. Thanks for all of the feedback.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Worrying about salt is over rated anyway other than flavor...but, it seems to me that if you cook on a block of salt, you may want to NOTsalt the food first...just thinking... I'm a sucker for toys and not only did I get a round cooking stone, but , I also got one of the eggs that go inside of a turkey.  I'm thinking if re-gifting that one since the turkey sitter makes the best turkey in my life and maybe I got carried away...
    BTW, we have made the best cookies we've ever made on the egg...go figure.  I love the thing and can't wait to cook more on it.  My next plan is to use the salt block as a flat top to sear burgers, then pull them to the grill, cover with cheese, shut down the heat and see what happens...sounds good to me.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    I got one in the tub exchange and I'm embarrassed to say I haven't used it yet.  I really need to but I just haven't had the time to do the proper research. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    It looks cool and adds a little salt. That's about it

The craze had a logical start in restaurants, where a hot block would be brought to your table along with raw meats. It retained heat so well you could cook in it for a half an hour or so. 

Cooking short term on one, on your grill, is just a fancy substitute for a griddle and some salt. 
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• My son and daughter-in-law got me one for Christmas.  It is great for seafood.  It does not need cleaning--it is self cleaning from the properties of the salt.  Just scrap away the dried residue and you're good to go.  It's great for thinly sliced steak, ham, filets, anything thinly sliced and accepts a fast sear.  The salt block does need to come to temp and be allowed to cool after use.  Just let it cool next to the egg.  Bringing it up to temp is easy as well, just allow it to get hot in stages.  The flavor is light and with lemon juice and seasonings on the salt block, you get all the flavors you want.  Don't forget it keeps cold seafood fresh and cold fruits as well--refrigerate or freeze the black first and you;ve got a cold serving tray.  
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.