Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cast iron seasoning

Options
I've been using a couple cast iron skillets and just bought a two burner griddle/raised grill. I'm planning on washing them and re-seasoning them this weekend in the oven. My questions are: -is a steel wool soap scrubber Ok for the clean or will it harm the surface? I'm seeing a little rust on one. -preferred fat for seasoning? I have olive oil, corn oil and shortening in the house. -does it make sense to season both sides of the reversible griddle all at once or is the chance of some fat pooling and getting weird too big? -related to three, season the outside of the skillets?
It's an obsession, but it's pleasin'

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    ** I have not tried this.

But this seems to be the most definitive (and extreme!) slants on the subject:

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
    NOLA
  • Smokin_Trout
    Options
    There are a few really good YouTube videos on seasoning.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    1 use vegetable oil or shortening
    2 steel wool won't hurt the surface. I wouldn't use it after you get them seasoned. It will take off the seasoning.
    3 season both sides at once. You should wipe it with a thin coat of oil on all sides. It won't pool if you just coat the surface. You don't need a ton of oil. 4 after cooking wash with water only and a scrub brush. Pour veg oil in the pan and heat the pan for a minute or two. Wipe with a paper towel and put away when it cools off.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    ^ I agree with that. I use shortening. Seems to not get as sticky as oil. When seasoning (which the egg is best to use so it doesn't stink up the house) I put the cast iron in for 10 minutes to heat up then I spread shortening on the top side and wipe it up and use that paper towel to spread a super thin layer on the bottom side. Then I put it upside down in the egg for 30 or 45 minutes and repeat a few more coats.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Thanks, very helpful. It's time to get these things proper.....
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

Multiple coats really make a huge difference.  3 seems about right to me.

Santa Paula, CA
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Thanks @tksmoke‌ & @yzzi‌ - I hadn't really considered multiple coats, but will give it a whirl. About cleaning after seasoning and use-I have a basic stiff bristle burgs I use regularly, but of course with no soap. What's going to remove the seasoning - soap or a hard brushing (like sanding)?
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    You can put the cast iron in the egg at a high heat and it will burn off the old seasoning.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    You can put the cast iron in the egg at a high heat and it will burn off the old seasoning.
    Agreed.  I have done this with a dutch oven that looked like people used it for oil changes.  Heated that sucker up to nuclear in the egg and the old seasoning and crud burned right off of it.
    Re-seasoned it with shortening and I am still using it today.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    thoughts on how to handle a brand new reversable flat/raised griddle?  They always say it's pre-seasoned, but it's kinda stick on one spot and needs to be seasoned properly, that is clear.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Careful with the high heat thing. It can crack CI. Don't ask me how I know.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options

Using soap and water will not wash the seasoning off of cast iron. Several seasonings is the way to go for sure. Using high temperatures will burn off old crud and may very well crack the cast Iron.

Gator Man

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• yzzi
    Options
    I don't use soap, but I will scrub the heck out of it sometimes, or use a wooden spatula and scrape it down.
    Dunedin, FL
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    When I was a kid, my dad threw our skillet in the wood stove to burn off the crud. It came out better than new. I was amazed. My step-mother on the other hand was irate. She worked hard to get it seasoned. So that makes me wonder, why would you want to clean and season or basically start over?
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

A before, during, and after restoration of a nasty, carbonized, rusty, gunked up #16 Griswold.

Order top left to right, top to bottom.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options

Brandon what did you clean it with? Back in my Griswold collecting days I soaked them in a large tub of water & draino (lie) and after several days it would just fall off. Then I would wire wheel the rust off and coat with mineral oil. No need to season as they were collectors pieces and just sat around and collected dust or I sold them in the Antique mall we had a booth in. At one time I had about 500 pieces of Griswold.

You coming to the GA  Fest this year?

Jupiter Jim

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options

Jim,

I do the same, lye bath, barkeeper's friend for the flash rust post bath, then season.

500 pieces, that is cool!  I knew you guys liked antiques, but for some reason, thought it was bigger things like furniture.  Please tell me you kept a couple of pieces stashed in the RV for the eggs. All of mine have been used in the eggs.  I seek out the crusty ones at the antique shops and flea markets, etc.  If it is clean, somebody usually knows what they have, and I have yet to pay retail for any piece.  I consider them useable collectibles, or at least I tell myself that before buying triples of #3s or #8s. lol

What is/was your favorite piece?  Mine has to be the one pictured, or my high base Griswold WI.  I have a ghostmarked #12 bailed griddle for my small egg that holds a special place in my heart as well.  My unicorn is a heart and star high base waffle iron. lol

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make this year's GME.  2015 is in very early planning though.  Really enjoyed spending time with you and Kay, and look forward to hanging out with you guys in the near future.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    ** I have not tried this.

But this seems to be the most definitive (and extreme!) slants on the subject:

http://sherylcanter.com/wordpress/2010/01/a-science-based-technique-for-seasoning-cast-iron/
    That was definitely an interesting read.  I do not have flax seed oil at home, nor did I want to buy some just to season my CI pans.  But I have a bottle of organic hemp oil, relatively cheap at Costco that I take as a dietary supplement.  I figured since both flax/hemp oil need to be refrigerated and go rancid easily, their properties are somewhat similar.   Did three coats with hemp oil yesterday and this morning the eggs literally slid off my cast iron skillets  =).     Sounds like others have had success with other oils, lard, fat, shortening etc... but those never worked for me.
  • Dragonwmatches
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I used vegetable shortening and the cooking surfaces turned out great. I might try one or two more coats as I stopped at two due to setting off our smoke alarms. That was getting annoying as hell. But on a couple edges or the handle I can definitely see where I left the fat a little too thick or missed a dollop, as there's a noticeable raised edge that's slightly sticky. So the lesson is make sure it's VERY thin.
  • BigGreenCraigdotcom
    Options
    This is how I season all of my cast iron. This guy is a professional chef with a passion for all cast iron. I think he has close to 100 pieces. This method is spot on and works great! I can literally fry an egg in my cast iron without any of it sticking. 

• yzzi
    Options

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I used vegetable shortening and the cooking surfaces turned out great. I might try one or two more coats as I stopped at two due to setting off our smoke alarms. That was getting annoying as hell. But on a couple edges or the handle I can definitely see where I left the fat a little too thick or missed a dollop, as there's a noticeable raised edge that's slightly sticky. So the lesson is make sure it's VERY thin.

Use your egg to season! My wife makes me do all seasoning on the egg to keep the house from smelling. Yes, thin layers are key.
    Dunedin, FL