Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Briket IN-PROCESS

Options
Hello all... it's been a while since I have posted.  I've got some family coming over later today for the Final Four, so I decided it would be the perfect time to attempt my first brisket.  I've read a bunch of posts, watched a bunch of YouTube videos, and shopped around for a brisket.  I finally decided on a 13.5lb packer from GFS... didn't want to pay a fortune for a brisket from the butcher if I was going to ruin it.  Not sure of the grade, probably low-grade, but it looked like a nice fat cap, decent marbling, fairly pliable, and somewhat symmetric.  Last night I trimmed it up (followed Franklin's video as best as possible), rubbed it up in a custom rub, wrapped it up, let it sit in the fridge overnight and prepped the egg with lump and some wood chunks.  This morning at 5am I lit the fire and put the brisket on at approx 225.  The brisket was about two inches to long, so I had to fold over the flat end... I'm hoping it shrinks and I can then lay it down evenly.

Here's my questions/concerns... 1)  it's only been on for a little over three hours and it's already at 150 internal temp.  Dome temp has been steady at 225.  Is this thing going to cook too fast?  I was hoping for about 5pm-6pm dinner time.  Should i turn it down?  and 2)  I used a few hickory chunks and some apple chips, evenly mixed through the lump.  When i went out to check on her, she smelt really smokey.  Is hickory too strong for a brisket?  Or is she tough enough to withstand it.

So far the only picture i have is cryovac'd but I'll take more later.

South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    No brisket expert but I try to help all I can. 1st on the 150 in 3hrs - no worries because you will hit the stall pretty soon and may take several hrs for the temp to start rising again, my guess is you will be pushing it to be be done by 5-6 at 225 and will prolly end up having to bump the temp up to 275 or so to be done in time. 2nd - with the massive hunk of beef hickory will be fine. My guess is a new junk just started smoking before you checked on it and that is why it smelled so powerful.
    I am sure @cazzy , @dmw or CT will be along shortly and can give better info.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Temperature on a brisket is just a guide.  And if your thermo is in the point it will run a good 10*F or so hotter than the flat due to higher fat content.  No worries with that as the point can take the "heat" all the way to the finish-line.  For an oversized brisket another option next time is to lay it over a fire brick wrapped in foil or and upside-down rib rack to get more space.  Just make sure anything laying outside your heat shield (plate setter or stone) has foil under it so it doesn't burn.
    The finish indicator is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance-and that can happen from around 190*F on up into the low 200's.  And I agree with @Mattman3969 on likely having to dial up the temp.  With 225*F on the dome your cooking grid temp is around 200*F-gonna take forever at that temp.  I would take the dome up to around 260-280 now for the duration.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...Enjoy the journey and eats.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    +1 on what @Mattman3969‌ said.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    At a dome temp of 250-275 , a brisket will usually take between 1.5 and 2 hrs per pound. If you started with 13,5 lbs, you probably still have 11.5 lbs or so. Doing the math, you won't make 6 pm.Possibly if you "crutch" it ,but still doubt it. Is your thermometer calibrated ? Good Luck !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Options
    Thanks guys. It's already at 165 at the four hour mark. I had to leave for a couple of my kids baseball games. I'm hoping for the best. Will turn up when I get back of necessary.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    You're a brave man to do your first brisket for company. I'm sure it will turn out okay. If you do get done early just FTC... you can hold a brisket for several hours if necessary.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Every brisket is different guys, so assuming he won't make dinner cause he's at 225 isn't accurate.  It's 60/40.  Cen recently had a briskey take 12 hours at 235, and I've seen others end up with a quick result at 225.  While I agree he likely won't make it, there is still a good chance he will.  For the record, I roll at 250 for my brisket cooks.   :P

Either way, have some faith!   ;)

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • FaceDance
    Options
    Almost at the six hour mark and she's at 168.  I'm cranking it up to 250 now.  Depending where she sits at 1pm-ish... I'll crank it up even more.

Thanks, say a prayer, and stay tuned.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    I think you'll be fine...you just need to have it off to rest by 4 or 5pm.  Just need an hour.  Plenty of cook time left to go.  Make sure to check in at 1pm and I'll offer my suggestion on what to do then.  
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    From everything I've read and experienced (and I've read way more) you're probably gonna hit the stall right about now. Cranking the temp can dry it out. I'd consider foiling. You've got plenty of smoke by now, and foiling will speed up and keep juicier. I'm from Pittsburgh, so I care little of using the crutch and don't feeling like its against all of my roots, so I so go foil.

Just my opinion, that and a $1 will buy u a crappy cup of coffee. . .
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • FaceDance
    Options
    Thanks Cazzy... will do!  Potential problem is oldest boy's baseball game at 1pm.  Will be gone for +/- 2 hours during critical point.  Even if we eat at 7 or 8, it's not the end of the world.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    -1 on the crutch. Personally I don't like to sacrifice great bark because it WILL soften it. What say you @cazzy‌ in 3,2,
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • cazzy
    Options
    From everything I've read and experienced (and I've read way more) you're probably gonna hit the stall right about now. Cranking the temp can dry it out. I'd consider foiling. You've got plenty of smoke by now, and foiling will speed up and keep juicier. I'm from Pittsburgh, so I care little of using the crutch and don't feeling like its against all of my roots, so I so go foil. Just my opinion, that and a $1 will buy u a crappy cup of coffee. . .
    If he cranks it up to 300 maybe.  Foil, Texas Crutch...hell no, and this is coming from a Texas boy.  Foil will steam his brisket and will ruin his precious bark.  If you wrap with anything, wrap with paper as it breathes and still protects the flat.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @cazzy Amen my brotha from another motha!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Crutch no [-(
    FTC :-bd and I only FTC to keep fresh & hot till guests etc are ready for consumption.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    Options
    Again, not from texas, so its not in my blood. I worried I'd use folks with that. I'd just rather have moist brisket with soft bark than great bark with smoked shoe leather.

Here's my question though, and again not from the south so maybe I'll never get it, why does it seem that they foil in all competitions? It seems like the norm from all I've read. If bark is so important why isn't it there in comps?

I do agree the bark is the best part. When I do pulled pork, my wife and I are crunching on those pieces while I pull and she finishes he rest of dinner.

I'm just saying, if I have to choose, I want the rest to be edible, not just the point, and I'll sacrifice bark to get there.
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • cazzy
    Options
    Again, not from texas, so its not in my blood. I worried I'd use folks with that. I'd just rather have moist brisket with soft bark than great bark with smoked shoe leather. Here's my question though, and again not from the south so maybe I'll never get it, why does it seem that they foil in all competitions? It seems like the norm from all I've read. If bark is so important why isn't it there in comps? I do agree the bark is the best part. When I do pulled pork, my wife and I are crunching on those pieces while I pull and she finishes he rest of dinner. I'm just saying, if I have to choose, I want the rest to be edible, not just the point, and I'll sacrifice bark to get there.
    They do a lot of things in comp that shouldn't be brought to the egg.  I'm all for wrapping, just have the best of both worlds and use paper.  You can protect the flat with paper, so why even go there with foil.  Don't get it twisted though, just because you don't wrap doesn't mean you'll end up with shoe leather.  That being said, it's much easier to turn out more consistent results when you wrap.

I agree with you though...the goal should be to have the entire product edible.
  • FaceDance
    Options
    A little over the seven hour mark and we've got IT of 176 at 250 degrees. I should be good, no?
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    May want to consider bumping your temp to 275*
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    For the sake of the following I'm assuming a worst case and you are in the Eastern time zone-that said, if the brisket finished now you are in a window where FTC will get you to eat time.  You may be okay with the temp where you are but if you want an hour of FTC then I would dial it up.  Finishing early (once in the FTC window) removes a lot of stress/concerns from the equation.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cazzy
    Options
    FaceDance said:
    A little over the seven hour mark and we've got IT of 176 at 250 degrees. I should be good, no?
    What time is it where you're at? How long will you be gone for your kids game?
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Sounds like you're in a good spot to go to the baseball game, come back and if needed bump your temp.

As for the competition and wrapping in foil question, bark is not very important in KCBS competitions. Judges score taste, tenderness, and appearance. By far taste gets the greatest weight, followed by tenderness and then appearance. I think most comp cooks will do whatever gives them the most flavorful and tender product using whatever method that gives them the most consistently good results that appeals to the judges. That said, I love to eat a good bark and often don't cook the same at home as we do in comps.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • FaceDance
    Options
    Eastern... It's currently 2:25pm. I'll be home in 30 minutes .
  • FaceDance
    Options
    Nine and a half hour mark an I've got an IT of 186 at 250.  Thoughts?  Let it ride for another two hours and then FTC?  Turn it up to 275?  At what IT should I pull this puppy?  It looks really good (I couldn't help but peak).
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Here's a reprint of a post from earlier this AM on this thread-may help answer your ??
    "Temperature on a brisket is just a guide.  And if your thermo is in the point it will run a good 10*F or so hotter than the flat due to higher fat content.  No worries with that as the point can take the "heat" all the way to the finish-line.  For an oversized brisket another option next time is to lay it over a fire brick wrapped in foil or and upside-down rib rack to get more space.  Just make sure anything laying outside your heat shield (plate setter or stone) has foil under it so it doesn't burn.
    The finish indicator is when you can probe the thickest part of the flat with no resistance-and that can happen from around 190*F on up into the low 200's.  And I agree with @Mattman3969 on likely having to dial up the temp.  With 225*F on the dome your cooking grid temp is around 200*F-gonna take forever at that temp.  I would take the dome up to around 260-280 now for the duration.  Just an opinion and we all know what those are worth...Enjoy the journey and eats."

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Options
    Pull when a probe slides in and out without resistance; which can be anywhere from 195 - 205*. You're probably okay with your temp where it's at
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Point is at 200 but flat is ranging from 185-190. 

CORRECTION... I just moved the probe to the thickest part of the flat... IT 180 and there was resistance.  I just got nervous.  Turn it up a little?  Ideally, I'd like to pull it around 5pm-5:30pm Eastern (it's currently 3:30pm).
  • lousubcap
    Options
    You may want to read a few posts above...FWIW-
  • cazzy
    Options
    275 to 300.  Always, always probe the thickest part of the flat.  I never check the point.  
  • FaceDance
    Options
    My bad... I think I knew that.  But at 5am... it's a little fuzzy.