Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Questions for you bacon cold-smokers

Options
Rind on or off the pork belly before you smoke it?  Rind on or off before you cure it?  And smoke for 12-14 hours?

I'm going to try my hand at bacon starting tonight (picking up 5 lbs. of pork belly on my way home).  I'm going for the sweet breakfast bacon recipe from Rhulman.  If the bacon is as much better than store bought bacon as the home-smoke lox are better than store bought I will be a happy camper.

Comments

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    You will be a happy camper .

I keep the rind on the whole time , I cut it off when i am slicing it to put away .

That said I don't think there is a wrong way to do it
    Toronto
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I'v done it both ways and either way it comes out fantastic which ever you prefer it's your call 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    Thanks for the information.  Charlesmaneri - have you removed the rind before curing or just done it before smoking?  If you've done it before curing have you noticed the bacon being a lot saltier?

I think for this go-round I'll just leave the rind on for curing and smoking and do like pantsypants and remove it before final slicing.
  • Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    New2Q like I said I did it both was I like to cure with the skin or rind on thou I'v cold smoked with and with out if I remove the skin or rind before smoking I still smoke the rind and put in zip lock bag and put in the freezer and use when I make split pea soup
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've cured it both ways.  Maybe slightly preferable to remove it before the cure/smoke so your bacon has some outer color.
    Options
    Well, I guess I don't get a choice.  The pork belly I got from the butcher (different butcher than I usually use but it was late and my normal butcher closed an hour earlier) had no rind on it.  So, I guess this batch of bacon will be cured and smoked without the rind.

So let's see if I have this correct:
    1. turn every couple of days
    2. pull out of the zip-lock after 6 days
    3. wash, pat dry
    4. put on rack in fridge for 24 hours
    5. cold smoke for 12 hours (or however long the amaze-n-smoker lasts)
    6. slice, cook and eat
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    +1 to Nola.
    Also,  after the cure I soak it to pull some of the salt out. usually 30 min or so  
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    12 hours of smoke?
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    12 hours seems a bit long , but I guess it goes by taste .
    I would recommend half filling up your A.M.S. and taste a piece mid way ,
    As they say. You can always add more smoke ......

Oh also i never put it on a rack and dry it out for 24 . I have done this but really noticed no difference.  It will form a pelicle while in the egg during the cold smoke .
    That said I also have no patience .
    It wont hurt you to dry it but i see no point . ( my 2 cents) 

Now excuse me as I go put my cured belly and Almonds  on the egg !
    Toronto
  • New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Options
    Sounds like there's plenty of variations and smoke times.  I guess I'll have to make several more batches of bacon to see which I like best.  :D