Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Easter Ham - Attempt #4

Wife informed me today that I am in charge of Ham for Easter dinner.  After my last several attempts with hams on the LBGE, I still do not have the process down. So here is what I am going to try based on my past attempts (on the dry side) and everyone's previous input:

Going to Target to see if I can find a Cook's ham (Been using Publix in the past)
Will use the AR to get higher in the dome
I am thinking 325 indirect and pulling at 135 degrees

I just do not want to overcook the thing.  I know there is a debate about direct and indirect so I am trying to err on the safe side. I really appreciate how the wife puts me on the spot for Holiday meals with guests!
Milton, GA.

Comments

• Did this last fall and it was one of the best hams we'd ever eaten. Plan on doing it again for Easter.image
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I do them every Easter.  I use a Cook's bone-in shank in the 10-12 pound range.  Place the ham cut side down in a disposable pan and add a half inch or so of apple juice.  On to the egg at 250 indirect with a couple chunks of apple and cherry.  After one hour I tent the ham in foil and bump the temp up to 350 until the internal temp is 140.  Remove, FTC for an hour and serve.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Mike is that Cook's ham already cooked and smoked before putting it in the BGE?
    XL Owner
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    That looks super yummy!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • flynnbob
    flynnbob Posts: 665
    I went on the Cooks website and under where to buy they had Target.  Went to Target today but they only carry Cooks ham steaks.  I looking at some alternatives - Maybe Costco - I would prefer a spiral sliced as I am also cooking 2 rump roasts which I will have to carve but maybe a non sliced ham could be the ticket - Can always slice everything on my meat slicer. That ham looks mighty good TOTN.
    Milton, GA.
  • ElCapitan
    ElCapitan Posts: 154
    Did this last fall and it was one of the best hams we'd ever eaten. Plan on doing it again for Easter.image
    This is what I did today and it was great.  I scored it too deep but otherwise it was the best ham I've ever had.  I cooked it at 350 until it was 140.  
    XL Owner
  • flynnbob
    ElCapitan said:
    Did this last fall and it was one of the best hams we'd ever eaten. Plan on doing it again for Easter.image
    This is what I did today and it was great.  I scored it too deep but otherwise it was the best ham I've ever had.  I cooked it at 350 until it was 140.  

ElCapitan said:
    Maybe that's the ticket.
    Milton, GA.
  • flynnbob
    OK.  This is what I ended up with.  A 16lb Publix whole spiral sliced ham.  She spoke to me from the meat counter.  I am going indirect in the pan at 325 wit a little apple juice per @bowhunr recommendation.  Will post the results later.

Milton, GA.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Good luck!
    NOLA
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Make sure you remove the plastic plug from the sliced end ! They are usually clear and do melt !

Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I have a 13 pounder on now. The temp got away from me and I burned the outside a bit :-/ and it's completely uneven in temp. I'm sure it'll still taste good at least. Oh well. You win some and you lose some.
    Dunedin, FL
  • flynnbob
    Here is the final result.  Kept covered in the pan for almost 2 hours with the apple juice in the bottom.  Pulled at a little over 100 and let rest.  It was to die for.  My daughter and her friends enjoyed it as well as the parents.  Also did 2 rump roasts in the oven.  A very good Easter.

imageimage
    Milton, GA.