Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My first hog head today

yzzi
yzzi Posts: 1,843
edited April 2014 in EggHead Forum
My wife is out of town this weekend, so me and the boys decided to give a hog head a try after the inspiring thread a couple weeks ago. I was able to get a 7 or 8 pounder. It was frozen, but cost less than $15 so what the heck. Wish it was a little bigger or at least that I bought the other one they had, but I've got pulled pork in the freezer for backup. I'm thinking this one will take than 8 hours so I'm going to put it on around 10 at 250-275 and I think we'll go a mix of Apple and cherry. Maybe a handful of maple pellets too. Excited to see how this turns out, especially since the skin seems pretty dry. imageimage
Dunedin, FL

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I think you will have fun w. it. I only managed to get mostly tough skin, but everything under the skin was super. Honestly, as I cut into the cheeks, the bacon-ey aroma was unbelievably intense. Most of the meat was surrounded by more fat than in the shoulder, and I was sure every mouthful I had was richer than ice cream.
  • yzzi
    Yeah part of the skin looked just like bacon, so I see what you're saying there. Doesn't look like there's much of that though, but hey, a few bites will be enough.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Any suggestions on timing for a 7#er?
    Dunedin, FL
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    You should forward the pic to your wife of the head in the fridge...
    :-@
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • gdenby
    My recollection is that mine was a little bigger, maybe 10#. Started a little after noon, and finished just before 5. I had the vent settings for around 250, but the dome therm never was above 210. I knew it was cooking well because the rendered fat in the drip pan was simmering. The pig had been "shot" between the eyes, and I waited till there were bubbles and steam coming from the hole.
  • yzzi

You should forward the pic to your wife of the head in the fridge...
    :-@
    Yeah, she doesn't know yet.
    :|
    Dunedin, FL
  • I plan to do one in about a week. How much did you pay for your head and what the hell is going on with that left (as you look at your picture) ear?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    The pig had been "shot" between the eyes, and I waited till there were bubbles and steam coming from the hole. Some might argue to cook to temperature but that is a heck of a way to gauge when your head is done. Best line I have ever read on this board.
    Franklin, TN Medium and large Green Egg
  • yzzi
    Did you guys put it sitting in a drip pan? I have an AR and was planning having a drip pan underneath. @TexanOfTheNorth‌ I don't know what the hole by the ear is from. Guessing they killed it from there or something.
    Dunedin, FL
  • bclarksicle
    bclarksicle Posts: 167
    Yes!

Mine was 15 pounds and took 8-9 hours. Be ready to foil the ears and snout early. I also had areas of tough skin, but still awesome. Let us know how it goes
  • yzzi said:
    Did you guys put it sitting in a drip pan? I have an AR and was planning having a drip pan underneath. @TexanOfTheNorth‌ I don't know what the hole by the ear is from. Guessing they killed it from there or something.
    I guess I was looking at the actual ear itself. The ear on the right side is lying flat while the one on the left is more extended from the head.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I used an AR as well. Had the head on a grid above a drip pan. There's a loooot of fat to render out of that bad boy.

And on the skin...I saved the tougher parts. Used some in a pot of collard greens recently...turned out awesome. 
  • yzzi
    Waiting for bad smoke to clear before putting it on. I've never had so much bad smoke pour out of the egg. My patio is completely filled with smoke. Thank goodness it's my last batch of gfs lump.
    Dunedin, FL
  • yzzi
    Here she is. Was a bit tricky to fit on but finally got the lid closed. Now we wait. image
    Dunedin, FL
  • gdenby
    Lookin' good. Don't know if you will be able, but I took fat from the pan and brushed it over the head. Didn't improve the tenderness any, but the browning effect was great.

• yzzi
    Sst finished up here. It was pretty good, and I was really surprised that there were almost no fat drippings. There were some pieces that were the best pork ever, and some funky pieces that were gross. Didn't get many pictures. Also did potatoes, asparagus, butternut squash, and my neighbor dropped off some fresh amberjack that I blackened. Pretty good meal, not bad for guys night out.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Awesome!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Nice work
    Toronto
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Wow that looks good, love me some cheek meat. SWMBO and the kids will be gone for 10 days, might need to try this.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Love me some hog head! Looks like you hit a home run. If you would like for your skin to be a little lighter and even in color for presentation try this one time. About 15 minutes before you place head in your egg spray the head down with Pam cooking spray. Let sit 5 to 10 minutes. Then pat dry with a paper towel. You will not remove all the oil if you pat as opposed to wiping. Only the excess. Cook until you get the color you want then foil until done. There is so much reflective heat from the ceramics I find it much easier to get the color I want if I use the Pam and foil method. Again looks good my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.