Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Wagyu Tri-Tip

Ordered two of these suckers through work. Product of AAco (Australian Agriculture Co.) Came out to $9 and change per pound. 

Absolutely awesome piece of meat. Made killer 'Tip sandwiches! 

Smoked indirect at ~350 for about 8 minutes total. Finished up direct over the coals. 

Comments

• pantsypantspantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Oh man that's unreal
    Toronto
  • FLbobecuFLbobecu Posts: 309
    Yes sir! 

Couldn't find any buddies that wanted to share; so I ate the whole thing myself (in two sittings, plus a lunch).
    You are a good man
    Toronto
    Also next time ask me
    Toronto
    No problem. :)
  • TerrebanditTerrebandit Posts: 1,621
    Looks great
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,230
    how is Tri-tip compared to steak? I never had it before. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
    edited April 2014
    GATABITES said:
    how is Tri-tip compared to steak? I never had it before. 
    Technically, it is a "steak". It can be cooked in minutes, not hours. 

Now, normally, this is a rather lean piece of meat. However, in this instance, there is an abundant amount of marbling throughout this particular Tri-Tip. The one pictured, was extremely rich and buttery. 

It is from the bottom sirloin, and generally weighs between 2-3lbs per "roast" or piece of meat. I believe there is either one or two pieces, per cow. I think it's two, but now I'm second questioning myself. 

Anyway, it is normally sliced thin and across the grain of the meat. It is the best meat for any type of sandwich. However many slice and eat like any other steak. :)
  • GATABITESGATABITES Posts: 1,230
    I have to try it sometime. thanks for the explanation. I ned to expand my protein cooks. the typical are getting boring. 

Tri-tip reminds me of a london broil. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
    When cut properly, it is a heavenly piece. Cook it no more then medium. Let the steak rest for 10-15 minutes, and rest the sliced pieces of steak in the "steak juice". Awesome! :)
  • PNWFoodiePNWFoodie Posts: 1,014
    GATABITES said:
    I have to try it sometime. thanks for the explanation. I ned to expand my protein cooks. the typical are getting boring. 

Tri-tip reminds me of a london broil. 
    SO much better than a London Broil! The flavor of tri-tip is amazing.

XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 8,592
    That looks awesome!  Please share the link with your fellow eggers where we can order for $9 a lb ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fletcherfamfletcherfam Posts: 888
    Yes, share the link. Tri tip up here for choice costs $7 per pound anyway. MIght as well go prime.
  • cssmd27cssmd27 Posts: 208
    Yes, share the link. Tri tip up here for choice costs $7 per pound anyway. MIght as well go prime.
    Just reading between the lines, but since he said he got it through work, it may not be available to the gen-pop.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
    cssmd27 said:
    Just reading between the lines, but since he said he got it through work, it may not be available to the gen-pop.

Correct. This was ordered through work (wholesale premium meats). Typically I am paying around what most others are, for regular Choice tri-tip ($7-8/lb). When the opportunity came, I jumped at the chance. :)