Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT...anyone here do indoor gardening?

Options
Dyal_SC
Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
About to plant our spring garden tomorrow with my two little nephews. We are planting tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, zucchini, red bell peppers, green bell peppers and yellow bell peppers. I also picked up lots of spinach, red romaine and green romaine. I know it's getting kinda warm out, so I was thinking about planting the spinach and lettuce inside. Was contemplating a vertical pallet planter with my old rolling BGE nest for easy transport. Found those in my shed. Anyone have any luck planting lettuce inside? Any tips or suggestions? I've never planted lettuce or spinach before.

Comments

• NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    We planted lettuce for the first time last year (our whole "garden" was inside).  We planted everything in plastic bins and hung a few lights.  We started everything from seed and most of it did well.  The basil did the best. 

Your pallets will make it
    way prettier. :) 

I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Every year, I keep thinking I'll plant a small garden, but all I ever wind up with is container herbs. I had to laugh when I saw your "getting kinda warm out" comment. According to the Farmer's Almanac for my area, there is a "50% probability of frost free after April 25."  :D Years ago, we used to have a small garden up here. Never planted it until Memorial Day!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thanks, Kristi! Did you have any issues with the lettuce getting bitter or starting to bolt? That's the reason I was thinking of doing it inside. I was thinking it might help delay bolting.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    When we lived in Iowa, SWMBO would start everything in flats indoors while it was still cool/cold outside, so that she could get a head start once the frost date was past. She used 40W grow lights (I think).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    Options
    We didn't have any trouble with it bolting.  The lettuce was very tender and flavorful.  I just wish we had planted more of it.  
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I grow my herbs in pots and works perfect.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Dyal_SC
    Options
    Thx for the info @caliking and @NecessaryIndulg. Gonna hafta pick up one or two good lights. Should be fun playing with dirt with the youngins'... ;)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    edited April 2014
    Options

I grow my herbs in pots and works perfect.

I was waiting for someone to go there.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Thought this was going in a different direction.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you are serious you will need at a minimum a 400 watt metal halide. Easiest thing to do is build a small flood table and get some peat moss cubes or rock wool and get some nutrients like general hydroponics. These lights give out a large amount of heat so its best to vent them.
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    I start seeds every year indoors in February. I use a seed starter heat mat and used to use 4" fluorescent shop lights. Now, because I am planting a smaller garden, I use the heat mat and a South facing window light. Lettuce is very easy to start...just lay the seeds on top of the starter soil and add water and light. Lettuce tip to avoid bolting: Harvest the entire plant off one inch above the soil, the plant will grow back again. You can do that several times. Chard will come back also as well as several other Victory garden plants. I have never been able to grow spinach.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Lit said:

If you are serious you will need at a minimum a 400 watt metal halide. Easiest thing to do is build a small flood table and get some peat moss cubes or rock wool and get some nutrients like general hydroponics. These lights give out a large amount of heat so its best to vent them.

Damn that sounds very in depth. Seems like the broke hippies in the 70s just used the basement with low ambient light. But, on a serious note why not just use a "grow" lamp?

Edit> maybe a "grow" lamp only works on plants that have already emerged. But, we use to do this to start seedlings for our Son's science experiments many years ago when he was in science fairs etc. So, thought it should work and they run cooler (don't give off much latent heat).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Its all about how far the light is useable. Many low power lights will only work within a foot or two of the plant.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I used to but I can't talk about it for 2 more years.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've converted some folks at work to eggheads and they read this forum and know I'd never admit to such behavior on social media.  I do, however, grow algae in my fish tank for the plecostomus.

Options
    Do be sure to have good light. Even in a south window, any of my starts become spindly after a week or so.  Most plants can use as much light as they can get, tho' they do need a day night cycle.

Lettuce quality may depend on the variety. For the last few years I've been growing an Amish heirloom variety called "Deers Tongue."  The leaves remain mostly sweet until the flowers start to open. Likewise, the leaf lettuce seems overall to be more hardy then those that produce heads.
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Yep. Everyone is right about the lights. No light = no lettuce. Also, lettuce in soil is a cool weather crop. Bolting is caused by heat. This is my set-up.

You harvest what you need and it regrows for about 4 months. It's not soil, but it works for me. I also grow tomatoes, peppers, herbs and lots of other veggies.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC