Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri Tip with Pics

Options
stemc33
stemc33 Posts: 3,567
Just wanted to say thanks to everybody that posts on the forum. I've learned a lot from here and it has made a huge difference in my cooking endeavors. A few learned lessons for my first tri tip include: 1. Cut across the grain. (This was a little challenging because the grain of a tri tip runs in multiple directions) 2. Upgrade to a better thermo (used my new green ThermoPop tonight for the first time. Awesome). 3. Keep the seasoning simple with the tri tip. 4. Posted pics helped me figure out how I wanted to finish my tri tip without having to cut the meat. 5. The importance of resting the meat. ( usually I have a platter full of juice, tonight the juice stayed in the meat) This was the best piece of meat I've ever eaten.
Steven
Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
two cotton pot holders to handle PS
Banner, Wyoming

Comments

• stemc33
    Options
    Forgot to add the pics in the post so there're easier to see. imageimageimage
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Outeffingstanding!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Tri tip has become one of my favorites and looks like you did it right, nice work!
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Looking good!

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    Great job! 
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Awesome looking cook....This is def on my radar for down the road cook..Thanks for the inspiration !!!!
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    That looks amazing!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • stemc33
    Options
    When I cooked this, I seared, then dropped the PS in and finished. I see lots of people on here do reverse sears. I've been looking for information on the advantage of the reverse sear, but all I'm finding is techniques. Just seems so much easier than trying to guess the finished product with the reverse sear. Maybe it's not guessing, just a learning curve. Anyway, I know there are probably tons of discussions on here about the advantages on the reverse sear. Can someone help me out?
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    The cool looks awesome. Last month when I was up in Casper I went on a search for tri tip and people looked at me like I steeped of a space ship. Where did you find it up there?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• stemc33
    Options
    TUTTLE871 said:
    The cool looks awesome. Last month when I was up in Casper I went on a search for tri tip and people looked at me like I steeped of a space ship. Where did you find it up there?
    I got it in a local butcher shop in Sheridan that buys/sells local meat. Sheridan is about 2 hours North of Casper. First time I've seen them here other than on some of the restaurant menus. Never tried it until this cook. I'll definitely be cooking more. I liked it better than most of the popular steaks like rib-eyes and T-bones.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • BoomerTheWeim
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    When I cooked this, I seared, then dropped the PS in and finished. I see lots of people on here do reverse sears. I've been looking for information on the advantage of the reverse sear, but all I'm finding is techniques. Just seems so much easier than trying to guess the finished product with the reverse sear. Maybe it's not guessing, just a learning curve. Anyway, I know there are probably tons of discussions on here about the advantages on the reverse sear. Can someone help me out?
    I am going to do a reverse sear today to try and get some more oak smoke into the meat. 
    Clayton, NC

Large BGE, Mini BGE, Two Weimaraners