Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: The Masters

fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,236
I'm beyond excited to be attending The Masters a week from Saturday for the first time. Does anyone have any tips/recommendations for a first-timer? 

Besides that, who is your pick to win? Assuming you have to pick someone else besides Tiger now that he isn't playing! :((

Anything else Masters related - Go!
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Here's a good tip someone gave me once: don't look directly at the sun.

Just kidding!  Have fun - I bet it will be a blast.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    My favorite sporting event besides a Tennessee football game. I have never been. I apply every year for the past 8 years for practice round tix but haven't been drawn yet. I'd say get there before the gates open and put your chair at amen corner then walk around the course.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • Never been myself but, I've heard that the course is much hillier than it looks on television.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    @JohnInCarolina :)) Thanks for the advice!

@jls9595 - Believe it or not, my dentist (yes, you read that correctly) had an extra ticket for Saturday's round and invited me along. I try every year like you do and never get picked. He said the tickets are in his family and get passed down, which leaves hardly any tickets for us "normal folk" to get. Good idea on putting a chair at Amen Corner, btw - thanks!
    Cumming, GA  

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    Get there as early as you can and speed walk with folding chairs to the spot you want to claim for the day. Some hot ones would be amen corner and the 18. Bring a few extra bucks for the merch building. There's stuff in there you can't get anywhere else. Buy a nice golf shirt with the Masters logo on it. Once you own one you'll start seeing them on other people. It's a great group to be a part of and you'll be able to tell the story for a lifetime. Comfortable walking shoes. Sunblock. A taste for $2 pimento cheese sandwiches. Go Phil!!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Meant to mention the pimento and egg salad sandwiches. Supposed to be really good.

Me my dad my brother and my uncle are all dentists but, alas no tickets. Not fair. Oh well. :((
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • fence0407
    @TexanOfTheNorth - I've heard the same - I'll make sure to stretch a few extra minutes when I get there  ;)

@MaskedMarvel - Extra $$ for a nice shirt is on the list for sure. Driving from the Atlanta area, so it'll be an early morning drive to make it there when the gates open. Of course, I probably won't be able to sleep the night before with excitement so that won't be an issue! Still can't believe Tiger won't be there. I'll be pulling for Phil and my long shots to win it with Tom Watson and Fred Couples (how cool would that be?!)
    Cumming, GA  

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited April 2014
    I've been a couple times. Definitely buy some stuff with the Masters logo on it. Like @MaskedMarvel‌ said, you can't walk into academy and buy that. I also like my hat or polo to have the year associated with it. Some people like buying the yellow pin flag, so to each his own.

I love sitting in the stands at 15 and watching the players hit into the green on 15 and play 16. But every hole at Augusta is a spectacle of it's own.

Winner? You never know at Augusta. From Fred Couples to Ernie Els, from Adam Scott to Jason Day. Anything can happen.

I'm a Bubba Watson fan, but I also like seeing golfers win it for the first time.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• fence0407
    @jls9595 - I think his family is from Augusta, hence the tickets. I lucked out by starting a conversation with him about a month ago about golf. One of his other patients is a caddie for one of the younger guys on the tour. Next thing you know we are talking about the Masters and said he'd let me know if he ever had an extra ticket. Funny thing was, my dad called on April Fools day to ask if I wanted to go with him. I went and bought a lotto ticket that night because I figured my luck must be up (won a free Fantasy 5 ticket, so there's that). Hope you get the chance to go soon!

Thanks @Chris_Wang. I think I'll go for something with the year on it like you mentioned. Luckily, the guy I'm going with has been there a number of times, so I'm sure he'll show me around. Loved watching Bubba win it a few years ago and wouldn't be surprised if he did it again. And you're right - you never know!
    Cumming, GA  

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I've been to the practice rounds a few times. I love watching them skip a ball across the water on 16 and try to land on the green. You will be amazed at how cheap the food is. Probably the least expensive in all of sports. As mentioned above, the course is much hillier than it looks on TV.
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    edited April 2014
    Pimento sandwiches are a MUST. I was there in '04 and '08, got in free as a PGA member. To truly understand the course, walk it from 18 green to #1 tee looking back as you go. Also stand directly behind #10 tee and watch a few players tee off. The elevation changes throughout the course will surprise you.I don't care much for blind shots but it is Augusta National. The 6th green is like a roller coaster off the Matterhorn.

Don't let the souvenier line intimidate you, it moves very fast. Buy something that will last, glasswear or jewelry (in the back corner). Pin flag is good as is a grilling apron.

I think 'griffin' of this site operates the scoreboard on #15.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    My blood ain't blue enough to attend one of those.  And my ascot is at the dry cleaners.... ;)
    edited April 2014
    @berndcrisp‌ Good call. My dad goes with the cylinder glass that has the current year and all the former champions. He has been to the Tuesday practice round every year since 1997. We have a whole cabinet full of those glasses lol.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• fence0407
    @berndcrisp - this is exactly what I was looking for thank you. Notes taken and plan to do some of those things! I've heard of the souvenir line being long - good to know it moves along. 
    Cumming, GA  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Pimento sandwiches are a MUST. I was there in '04 and '08, got in free as a PGA member. To truly understand the course, walk it from 18 green to #1 tee looking back as you go. Also stand directly behind #10 tee and watch a few players tee off. The elevation changes throughout the course will surprise you.I don't care much for blind shots but it is Augusta National. The 6th green is like a roller coaster off the Matterhorn.

Don't let the souvenier line intimidate you, it moves very fast. Buy something that will last, glasswear or jewelry (in the back corner). Pin flag is good as is a grilling apron.

I think 'griffin' of this site operates the scoreboard on #15.
    It's not Griffin, it's @Chubbs
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Tuesday and Wednesday are the best, You can talk with the contestants and study them practice various shots from different angles.

Sunday afternoon is as good as it gets in all of golf.

BTW, I said in 2000 that TW wouldn't last because of his reckless abandon swing. It's caught up with him and so are the young-ens.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Eat lots of pimento cheese sandwiches.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • fence0407
    Tuesday and Wednesday are the best, You can talk with the contestants and study them practice various shots from different angles.

Sunday afternoon is as good as it gets in all of golf.

BTW, I said in 2000 that TW wouldn't last because of his reckless abandon swing. It's caught up with him and so are the young-ens.
    Sunday at the Masters is my favorite day of the year. My dad went to the practice round and loved it. Hope to have the chance one day.

It's crazy how much torque and strain his swing creates on his body. You were right - it is catching up to him and there are PLENTY of new guys that are capable of winning major championships. He's also lost his intimidation factor if you ask me.
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • fence0407
    Cumming, GA  

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @fence0407... Living here in FL and frequenting the PonteVedra Beaches area I can't say I'm a fan of the crazy traffic that TPC brings (makes it hell to get to a service call). SWMBO & I affectionately refer to it as the "TPC Tiny Penis Club". Which oddly enough the members don't find funny (scratching head). =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806

Man, I'm jealous.  Maybe my favorite sporting event of the year for a variety of reasons.  Never been, but have several friends who have and they say, as others have, it's much hillier than it looks on TV.  Definitely get there as early as you can.  Also heard the prices for gear and concessions are surprisingly affordable compared to other sporting events. 

Have a great time!!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• kudzu
    kudzu Posts: 1
    Lots of good advice here...have been going since I was 12...1960! Saturday tee times are late barring wx problems - Go early, hit the shop and get that out of the way. They have check stands so you don't have to carry that stuff all day. When people find out you are going they will be asking you to bring them stuff! Buy one of the green Masters bag chairs and put it where you want to be late in the day. Now, go to #1 and WALK THE COURSE! It is not really practical to follow any particular group but you need to see every hole and get a feel for the extreme elevation changes that do not show on TV. Now you are exhausted so grab another beer and a pimento cheese, go sit in that green chair and enjoy the show! I like the new hill over #16 green for a view of holes 6,16 , and 15. Enjoy!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Nice score.

This is the best time of year.  My favorite weekend by far.

I've been trying for years to get tickets.  Failed every year so far.  I have a Augusta National/Masters room in my house with tons of stuff that I'll once again enjoy watching the tourney in.  One year I'll get there even if I have to buy my tickets at inflated prices.

Until then, I'll conjure up another menu of beer, bourbon and food from my Egg.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't understand this ticket thing. Some say they have been TRYING to go every year, but haven't made the cut. Kudzu says he's been going since 1960!! I have no interest in going and if someone were to give be a ticket, I'd pass. I am a casual fan at best and I sure wouldn't go all the way to Georgia to watch some golf thing.  :D 

I am disappointed that woods isn't playing. Now I have no one to root against. Hope he never wins again. Watson or Couples would be awesome, but they are like 90 years old!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Carolina Q
    Absolutely. And no qualms at all about it.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I'd be jealous of him too. Lindsay Vonn is a fox.
  • Carolina Q
    Jealous? You really think that's what it is? Don't care how good he WAS at golf, I have ZERO respect for tiger woods. Or vonn.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    edited April 2014
    Comfortable shoes. It is very hilly. $$$ for the merchandise tent. I would also encourage you to walk the whole course to truly appreciate the beauty It is a special place. Neighborhood around it is sketchy. Also, all the pimento cheese you can eat. When God wants a pimento cheese sandwich he calls upon Cliff Roberts and Bobby Jones to get him one! Truly, they are that good. My pick to win....Lefty although I would love to see Freddie win. He plays very well at Augusta.
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!