Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: This looks like it FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!

Options
13»

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Well, that was a bit distorted  - 16mm lens on an full frame DSLR.  Looks different from human eyes.
    Options
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What I used to tell people to do was make a paper template of the screen size and hang it in the space(since most are wall mounted) to test space accommodation. It's most often an
    issue with fireplace mounts because the mantle is most often proportional to the room, so a monitor that overshadows the mantle really screws the room up, like an oversized couch. You don't have that disadvantage.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    16-35mm f2.8?
    Yep.  Canon D5 II with that lens on it.

That's a good idea.  I forgot you're the trained expert on that kinda thing.
    Options
    I was thinking about buying a Raspberry Pi back at the first of the year. I am a prime member so I know I can watch all of that for free but these other services, do you have to pay monthly service fees? Obviously netflix isn't free.
    It's a pretty good mix of free and paid service apps.  For instance, Hulu is a subscription and Crackle is free.  Look at the app list and research the ones that appeal to you.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    Options
    It just got delivered, and it took less than 3 minutes to hook it up.  

It had to download and install new software, but no problems so far.  I didn't set it up via WIFI, I have it wired into the Uverse.

Let's see how the picture is...

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• TheShaytoon
    TheShaytoon Posts: 420
    edited April 2014
    Options
    this thing is QUICK...the voice search is pretty cool....

the You tube app is great...you can pair it just like the chrome cast, and send a video from pc to it with one click.  

I have a very hard time engaging in passive relaxation. Twitter.Instagram.
    Dallas, TX

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Great to hear Shaytoon! I was home, but I had to come into the office so installation will have to wait to later.

The reviews on Amazon are blowing my mind. 95% of the 1 star reviews are trolls giving it a 1 star because it doesn't have HBO or that it's just not for them and a waste of money. They don't own it so it's just opinions and assumptions. Amazon really needs to fix that and only allow people who purchased the product review.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Saving my money for Oculus Rift to go with my gaming PC in 4th quarter.  Then will just run a long HDMI over to my couch and won't need these set-top boxes for the TV :)
    Pentwater, MI
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Focker said:

I should whip mine out....2001 36" Sony Wega, analog converter, and Mohu leaf. hahaha

Bought it new before the Ravens SB game.

Now, if I can find a way to cut the DSL cord with no monthly bill.

I'm glad I'm not the only one................ it still works so why replace it.
    :!!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Focker said:

I should whip mine out....2001 36" Sony Wega, analog converter, and Mohu leaf. hahaha

Bought it new before the Ravens SB game.

Now, if I can find a way to cut the DSL cord with no monthly bill.

I'm glad I'm not the only one................ it still works so why replace it.
    :!!
    That was a great TV, I hated loading those things into vehicles. XBR FTW.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    I hear ya, a beast at 225lbs and all in the glass, but a decent picture for analog at the time.  Still good enough for me and the little amount of time I watch it.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I don't even watch tv any more. I watch movies and get all my news through the DSL. I want to get my mom and dad off dish tv. Will one of these boxes provide enough entertainment and access to news? About the only thing they watch is the local news and FOX. Dad watches some basketball and football.

I don't either, but I like to watch the Bears, Cardinals, and Blackhawks on occasion.

You may want to look into an HD antenna called the Mohu Leaf.  Runs about $70-80.  In this area, we get about 15 channels.  All the locals, FOX, and some others. 

http://www.amazon.com/Mohu-Indoor-Antenna-formerly-Ultimate/dp/B00APPDX86/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396704926&sr=8-4&keywords=mohu+leaf

One-time up front cost for the antenna.  It is paper thin, and about the size of a sheet of standard paper.  Would easily hide behind a frame on the wall.  Hooks directly into their HDTV, super easy to install.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    @Focker‌ I tried that leaf antennae and regret being too lazy about returning it. Just didn't work well indoors.

The fire TV is great so far, but my only complaint is its not compatible with my harmony remote. Sucks going back to needing 2 remotes. Interface is great and voice search is amazing. My 3 year old already can search for caillou, lol.
    Dunedin, FL
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    yzzi said:

@Focker‌ I tried that leaf antennae and regret being too lazy about returning it. Just didn't work well indoors.

The fire TV is great so far, but my only complaint is its not compatible with my harmony remote. Sucks going back to needing 2 remotes. Interface is great and voice search is amazing. My 3 year old already can search for caillou, lol.

I like it so far too...interface is nice and it's blazing fast. I think harmony support will come.
  • yzzi
    Options
    I'm not sure it will with mine. Looks like the remote is blue tooth which my remote doesn't support. I miss the remote from my phone like I had with roku.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    I've got the newer Harmony which does support blue tooth, at least it works with the PS3. So far no support for the Fire TV though. Honestly if it doesn't support it that will be a huge negative for me, maybe even a deal breaker since my TV and PlayStation do most of what I need now, even Amazon Prime videos.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Just thought I would mention:

Amazon Prime is getting older HBO shows.   Article also states HBO Go on the fire TV by the end of the year.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• yzzi
    Options
    Yeah having a second remote is proving to be annoying once again. I'm keeping an eye out for a phone app at least. That was nice having that with the roku. My son thinks the fire remote is "his" and he's always stashing it somewhere his brother (and parents) can't find it.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    yzzi said:

Yeah having a second remote is proving to be annoying once again. I'm keeping an eye out for a phone app at least. That was nice having that with the roku. My son thinks the fire remote is "his" and he's always stashing it somewhere his brother (and parents) can't find it.

Another reason I like my chromecast. Everything is on my phone.