Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: North Texas Hail Storm

So we had this massive hail storm in North Texas yesterday. No damage to the dome itself, but destroyed my thermometer. Also cracked windshields on both cars and destroyed the metal roof over our back porch. I'm sure there will be significant roof damage, too. Anyone else in NT get hit?
Justin in Denton, TX

Comments

• New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    At my home in Plano we weren't hit very hard - just 10 minutes of nickel to dime sized hail.  I'm thankful because I just put a new roof on the house last Spring.  However, some friends up in Allen got a lot more hail and will have to replace their roof.  From the radar and looking at the sky it appeared I was just south of the bad stuff.
  • jrf316
    jrf316 Posts: 55
    Rowlett; nothing at all.  just lightning

Visca Barca
    Mes Que Un Club

• drewaars
    drewaars Posts: 63
    Got a little rain in Arlington, right when it looked like the sky was about to rip apart it all just stopped
    LBGE in Arlington, TX

Thanks and Gig'em
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    We dodged the big stuff in Prosper
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Nothing at all over by White Rock lake.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    +1 at White Rock

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• So looks like Denton got the brunt of it
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Hail Storms Suck. We had one last year and it only lasted about 15 minutes, but caused over $20,000 damage between the roof and two trucks. Good thing it happened before I got my BGE. My egg sits out in the elements.

imageimage
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    And my house in Plano must be further south than you @new2Q   as we got some nice, but short lived rain and no hail.
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    edited April 2014
    I'll bet the CGS got hit too. Maybe he will have a scratch and dent sale.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Navymom
    Navymom Posts: 167
    I was driving when the second hail storm hit, some dings in my car but could be a lot worse. One skylight broken haven't heard the report on the roof yet. Pictures of our side yard and back porch when I got home.
    Wear maroon, live maroon, bleed maroon.
    Fightin' Texas Aggies Fly Navy.
    Denton TX
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255

When our roof took a 20 minute beating from dime size hail a long time ago, I took photos of the piled up hail in our yard and around our house.  Then I called my insurance company in spite of the absence of visible damage.  I'm glad I did.  The adjuster came out and did a thorough inspection and concluded that the hail probably reduced the life of our shingles by at least 40% as evidenced by the large amount of aggregate in the gutters.  They were probably 25 year shingles, meaning they probably wouldn't last 15 years due to the damage.  I seem to recall that in the end they adjusted it to 60% because of damage to all the other houses in the area.  The adjuster told me that unless there were leaks he would just leave the roof in place for a few more years, then replace it.

You guys might think about 'hidden damage' and 'accelerated wear-and-tear.'

Spring "Ice Drops Keep Falling On My Head" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

• New2Q
    New2Q Posts: 171
    Angus1978 said:
    And my house in Plano must be further south than you @new2Q   as we got some nice, but short lived rain and no hail.
    @Angus1978 - I live between Hedgcoxe and Legacy. 
  • stemc33

When our roof took a 20 minute beating from dime size hail a long time ago, I took photos of the piled up hail in our yard and around our house.  Then I called my insurance company in spite of the absence of visible damage.  I'm glad I did.  The adjuster came out and did a thorough inspection and concluded that the hail probably reduced the life of our shingles by at least 40% as evidenced by the large amount of aggregate in the gutters.  They were probably 25 year shingles, meaning they probably wouldn't last 15 years due to the damage.  I seem to recall that in the end they adjusted it to 60% because of damage to all the other houses in the area.  The adjuster told me that unless there were leaks he would just leave the roof in place for a few more years, then replace it.

You guys might think about 'hidden damage' and 'accelerated wear-and-tear.'

Spring "Ice Drops Keep Falling On My Head" Chicken

Spring Texas USA

This is one of the dents from the hail. I didn't even think about roof damage until I went to State Farm to file claims on my vehicles and then the agent ask about my roof. I had no clue, so the adjuster came out to the house and totaled the roof. About $13,000 for the new roof. Glad the insurance rep ask me or I would of had a shorter roof life.
    Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    @new2q I'm at Custer and 15th...so yep...farther "south"
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    We live at Greenville and Bethany in Allen, hail, no damage!
  • We were visiting my BIL in WY a couple of years ago and were pelted by some nasty hail stones. Our beater mini van looked like someone beat with a ballpein hammer. We still have the van, its white and named Titleist.
    Flint, Michigan
  • stemc33

We were visiting my BIL in WY a couple of years ago and were pelted by some nasty hail stones. Our beater mini van looked like someone beat with a ballpein hammer. We still have the van, its white and named Titleist.

That's what we call a Wyoming welcome. It's not always hail (seldom), but the weather is gonna get you. You always gotta be ready. I've seen snow as late as June 29th and then I have also have wore shorts in January.

Steven
    Banner, Wyoming
  • He was in the Air Force stationed at FE Warren AFB in Cheyanne. Now he's retired and they moved to Alaska. Wilma will prolly want to visit next year during their summer month.
    Flint, Michigan