Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Longboat Key

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
My wife's Grandfather (does the word grandfather-in-law exist?) is turning 85 this weekend.  Headed up to his place in Longboat Key for a Birthday weekend, then my wife and I are going to stick around the area for another 4 nights.  We both like to kayak, I like to fish . . . and we both love to eat!  Any recommendations for us?

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Siesta Key is a nice spot just south Longboat we alway stay at a place Palm Bay Club, condos right on the beach.  They have a great beach there, made for walking.  We usually walk to the little downtown area about two miles down the beach have a coffee and walk back then do something in the afternoon away from there.

Gerhard
  • Cremaster
    Cremaster Posts: 34
    The Columbia Restaurant on St. Armand's Key, the next key south of Longboat
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797

I second the Columba. If you want Amish/Mennonite, go try some pies from Yoder's or Der Dutchman. The other I would highly suggest is Louie's Modern. Get this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl_mca3bSE8

No BBQ suggestions

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    If you are looking for a place to eat last time we where down we enjoyed Walts Fish Market on the Tamiami Trail in Sarasota, they have a great bar and some of the best seafood in the area.

Gerhard
  • One more vote for Columbia. Sandbar on AMI is a cool spot for a cocktail and a grouper sandwich in the afternoon. Pacific Rim is a good sushi joint in Sarasota too. I suggest that you eat your weight in stone crab claws while you are there.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Euphemia Haye Restaurant & Haye Loft on Longboat Key.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • NDG
    Wow you guys are awesome.  A nice mix of recommendations - exactly what I was hoping for!  I told my wife I asked for recommendations here on the forum and she looked at like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears (thats a weird quote from christmas story - it got typed and I am not erasing it).

I took a look at the Columbia website and excited to read it is "cuban" and excited that the Stone Crab season is still going on!  @hairless_hand I will do my best to eat my weight in stone crab claws . . . thanks everyone.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • 55drum
    55drum Posts: 162
    Don't forget this place right before you cross into LBK.....

• berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Simple, take your fishing gear with you when kayaking and cook your catch.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• NDG
    @55drum . . . what is that hut?  Should I tell them the DRUM sent me?
    Columbus, OH

• Rascal8
    Rascal8 Posts: 8
    Lived in Sarasota my entire life. Siesta Beach is gorgeous. Nancy's BBQ downtown is great. ja-pan for sushi. Walts has been around forever and has good seafood and a nice outside bar though on a busy road. My guy is a charter boat fishing captain and fishing is good right now. Enjoy your trip!
    Large BGE
    Sarasota, FL
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    I agree with Columbia and Yoder's both are great.

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Hey Rascal, where do you live in Sarasota? I grew up just east of 75 off Fruitville Rd
  • NDG
    Today is rainy - so just saying thanks for the good tips.  We did Columbia on Sunday and really enjoyed it.  Yesterday we kayaked through the mangroves for 5 hours then got the prime spot at "The Sandbar" on AMI ( thanks @hairless_hand ).  The waiter was trying to flip tables fast and this was his prime spot.  Our table was in the white sand with nothing but sand and ocean in front of us - so flip flops off with feet in the sand! We countered his aggressive flip mentality by ordering a steady stream of margaritas, patron shots and 4 apps.  Only bummer is that the Stone Crab harvest this year was really down so almost everyone is sold out already.  What a great day!
    Columbus, OH