Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock chicken fajitas with creamy poblano sauce and Mexican rice

Options
caliking
caliking Posts: 18,731
Gotta make this snappy. The title says it all.

Groceries:

Veggies. First run with a cast iron pizza pan I found at HEB. Makes a great comal/griddle for the large.

Creamy poblano sauce. Not enough heat, so I had to add extra Thai chiles and another cherry chile (or something like that).

The bird. Skinless, Julio's seasoning, AR with rig extender.

Poorly composed plated shot. Caliprince's bath time was rapidly approaching.

Its been a while since I made a spatched bird. This was the first time doing one higher in the dome with the AR rig extender, first time using Julio's seasoning - @Mickey loves that stuff, now I do too. The chicken was fantastic, definitely must repeat this. Cut up the breast for dinner tonight, the thighs and legs will be lunch over the next few days. The poblano sauce was damn good too - roasted poblano, chiles, roasted garlic, Fage, cilantro, and cotija cheese. Also made the pickled onions posted a few days ago (my apologies to whoever posted the recipe - I would love to give you credit for it). The Mexican rice was loosely based off of an internet recipe (cooked on the stove) and was remarkably similar to an Indian rice dish I make for potlucks. 

And... my first pour of Woodford Double Oaked tonight. Pretty good stuff. @hapster and @henapple are on to something...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Looks good Cali! GJ!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Julio's is outstanding. We use it all the time. If you have an HEB try their branded Mexican Rice sauce.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Outstanding! 

I egged some fajitas (beef) tonight.  They turned out delicious.  No pictures, sadly.  But I could take some of the leftovers just to prove it happened. ;)
    Options
    No need for pics. Just send the leftovers instead!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    oh, you think you stay up late :D
    Options
    Looks delish! Love the poblano sauce. Now I'm hungry. Looks like I'll be roasting some poblanos to make that sauce.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • caliking
    Options

oh, you think you stay up late :D

Au contraire. The progeny needs to be fed :)

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    @Caliking - as if you think we believe YOU were the one to give Caliprince his bath......

Great looking cook, btw.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Thst is awesome. Is the poblano sauce a recipe or did you just throw it together?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks great.  I'm in love with double oaked.

It looks like you scored the breasts on the bird?  Do you just do the skin, or did you go into the meat as well?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• cdthomas23
    Options
    Nice. One of my favorite things about spatchcock chicken is using the leftovers the next day for fajitas. Great flavor. May have to give your sauce a try.
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Great looking cook!

Here is a link to the pickled red onion recipe. Not sure if this is what you were referring to @caliking

Thanks to @coffeeguydenton for the below recipe and @jls9595 for the link.

Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Muy Bueno.  Thanks for sharing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • caliking
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @Springram - hey now! Give me some credit :) I taught momma how to bathe the kid the first week. I mentioned it now because momma had to be fed, so SHE could go bathe him!

@SmokeyPitt - both. Browsed a few recipes then figured out what I wanted it to be like. I routinely sub Fage in place of sour cream, and have never been disappointed. The recipe was roughly:

1 poblano pepper, roasted
    Several garlic cloves, roasted
    4 Thai chiles
    1 tsp salt (or to taste)
    1 tsp (sugar)
    1/2 teaspoon Slap Ya Mama Hot (I put it in everything)
    1 cup cilantro
    2 avocados
    1/2 - 1 cup cotija cheese
    4-5 TBSP Fage yogurt

Throw everything in the food processor and puree/blend the cr@p out of it. Let it sit for 30mins or so for everything to get friendly.

• caliking
    Options
    Looks great.  I'm in love with double oaked.

It looks like you scored the breasts on the bird?  Do you just do the skin, or did you go into the meat as well?
    I skinned the bird. We're not fans of chicken skin. Never had a problem with the bird drying out. Once skinned, I score the meat deeply all over - legs, thighs, breast - and then apply the rub/seasoning liberally. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    That's a good idea, never thought of scoring a bird before.
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Great looking cook!

Here is a link to the pickled red onion recipe. Not sure if this is what you were referring to @caliking

Thanks to @coffeeguydenton for the below recipe and @jls9595 for the link.

Thanks to all of you! The pickled onions were a great condiment for this. Made a batch last week and let it pickle for a few days. Do you think the pickling solution can be reused? Should it be boiled again?