Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All dressed up with no place to grill

Options
Okay, in what may have been the ultimate case of premature accessorizing, I am now the proud owner of: A bag of FOGO A bag of Royal Oak A LoofLighter Now to the embarrassing part...I don't actually have my BGE yet. I've pre-ordered a XL from an Eggfest that is this coming June. My Kamado Joe Jr. gets delivered tomorrow and I'm super excited! I'm thinking of it as my "gateway" to Egging. :) I've decided my first cook will be a spatch-cocked chicken...unless someone makes a good argument for something else. My question is, do I use the FOGO or the RO? From what I've read, FOGO is best for low and slow and RO for faster cooks. By the way, I am also one of those lucky ones that lives within a walmart that still has pallets full of RO for the sale price. Do I stock up when I haven't even done a cook yet? Thanks in advance, Sandy
XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
Sandy

Comments

• ChrisgrillsSTLMO
    Options
    Welcome to the journey, it is a great way to cook! I have not heard anything about a particular brand being better for a particular type of cook, it is more about the size of the lump pieces that you use (based on what I have read on this forum). Spatch Chicken is a great starting cook, you will love it.

Cheers!
    Chris
    St. Louis, MO
    Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    If you have plenty of space to store it I would stock up on the RO at that price.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

Seems like the RO deals at Walmart and Menards are annually in April.  It is a good deal, saved $100 on 20 bags over the weekend.  Have been using RO for years, no issues.  Bags of the good stuff are nice to keep on hand for certain cooks, like low and slows.  But RO is the everyday lump of choice.

I would get 6 or so bags for starters.  That way you are not committed.  You may find you don't like it compared to alternatives. 

Fourth of July week is another annual charcoal sale time.  

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Focker said:

Seems like the RO deals at Walmart and Menards are annually in April.  It is a good deal, saved $100 on 20 bags over the weekend.  Have been using RO for years, no issues.  Bags of the good stuff are nice to keep on hand for certain cooks, like low and slows.  But RO is the everyday lump of choice.

I would get 6 or so bags for starters.  That way you are not committed.  You may find you don't like it compared to alternatives. 

Fourth of July week is another annual charcoal sale time.  

So I was right? Save the FOGO for low and slows and use the RO for my everyday and trial runs?
    Sandy
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

I haven't used FOGO, but yes, you could.  I use the stuff I can find locally for the longer cooks:  WGWW, Ono, and Chigger Creek.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Spatchcocked chicken will be a great first cook. As far as lump, I stocked up on RO last week when wally world was having their sale. I've had no problems running RO for 14+ hours on a low and slow cook. I did make sure to stack the RO with the larger pieces on the bottom though, as many eggheads suggested for maximum burn time. I'd say stock up on the RO at $8/bag. Just my thoughts!
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    ...By the way, I am also one of those lucky ones that lives within a walmart...
    You live in a Walmart? Very sorry to hear! :)

RO is fine, especially at that price. I have always done spatched chicken raised direct, but I want to try indirect next time. Have heard it's really good that way.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Lol, that's funny! I hate Wally World for a number of reasons...my kids were shocked that we would even go there. My boyfriend says he has the space to store...I'm thinking of stocking up. Got my KJ Jr yesterday and am excited to try it.
    Sandy