Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Meat Slicer Blade Sharpening?

QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I bought a used Univex 7510 meat slicer that has seen its better days.  The sharpener attachment is broken and a replacement assembly is over $400!  Does anyone know if sharpening a smooth slicer blade can be done at home or if they can be taken to a sharpening service?  Any advice is appreciated.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments

• I paid $350 for the whole slicer with a brand new sharpener! That sounds really high to me

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Sharpening service. Google it for your area. The commercial slicers I work on get sharpened annually or as needed.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • QDude
    I paid $350 for the whole slicer with a brand new sharpener! That sounds really high to me

It's a 10" commercial slicer that runs about $1,700 new.  I paid $150 for it but didn't realize that it had a few issues!  Live and learn.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014
    Take it to a pro.  Call around, or ask the delis in your area where they get them sharpened.  For my Hobart blades, he charged $12.  I touched them up with chosera stones after he restored the edge.  I was fortunate that my Hobart does not have the built-in sharpening system.  Most times, the operators burned through them by grinding too much and too often.  They will keep an edge for a long time.  A new 12" Hobart knife is $200-$250.   
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• you can buy a new blade for $124 on ebay but that is an expensic but there has got to be a way to get a sharpener cheaper than $450. Buy a junk slicer with a good sharpener assembly and buy new stones for it for 
    QDude said:
    I paid $350 for the whole slicer with a brand new sharpener! That sounds really high to me

It's a 10" commercial slicer that runs about $1,700 new.  I paid $150 for it but didn't realize that it had a few issues!  Live and learn.
    I did the same and sold it for $250 when I saw all the issues. Then I bought a nicer one for 350 that was in great shape. 10" Globe Chefmate. with new belts and sharpener. If I can get mine professionally sharpened for $12 i'll do that in a second. The stones are better for maintenance but my edge is shot.

• Focker
    edited April 2014

Honestly, save the $400, you don't need one.  Get it sharpened as needed.  I sharpened mine two years ago.  With what I consider light use for a commercial unit, it still slides through things with minimal effort.

What are the other issues?

These things were made to be rode, and rode hard.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,734
    if no sharpening service around will do it, any small machine shop with a lathe could do it by hand with a diamond hone in a few minutes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QDude
    Focker said:

Honestly, save the $400, you don't need one.  Get it sharpened as needed.  I sharpened mine two years ago.  With what I consider light use for a commercial unit, it still slides through things with minimal effort.

What are the other issues?

These things were made to be rode, and rode hard.

One of the three screws that holds the blade in place is sheared off.  The carriage sliding assembly was bound up also but I got it cleaned up and it slides like butter now.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude
    if no sharpening service around will do it, any small machine shop with a lathe could do it by hand with a diamond hone in a few minutes
    I have a wood lathe.  I may try that.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• QDude
    you can buy a new blade for $124 on ebay but that is an expensic but there has got to be a way to get a sharpener cheaper than $450. Buy a junk slicer with a good sharpener assembly and buy new stones for it for 
    QDude said:

I did the same and sold it for $250 when I saw all the issues. Then I bought a nicer one for 350 that was in great shape. 10" Globe Chefmate. with new belts and sharpener. If I can get mine professionally sharpened for $12 i'll do that in a second. The stones are better for maintenance but my edge is shot.

For some reason here in Colorado, all of the commercial units on Ebay are at least $500, with some being listed for $1,000 or more.  That's crazy!

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• I may try my Ken Onion Worksharp....hmmm.

• Focker
    Most operators would use Pam to lubricate, a huge mistake gumming up everything.  Before degreasing, mine was terrible.  Buy commercial food grade grease/lubricants and follow the manual to a T. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited April 2014
    I may try my Ken Onion Worksharp....hmmm.

What grit(s)?

Maybe go freehand with it?

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker said:
    Most operators would use Pam to lubricate, a huge mistake gumming up everything.  Before degreasing, mine was terrible.  Buy commercial food grade grease/lubricants and follow the manual to a T. 
    I use mineral oil. That is what globe recommends (or at least did at when I had the shop) and it works great. Cheap too.

• Focker said:
    I may try my Ken Onion Worksharp....hmmm.

What grit(s)?

Maybe go freehand with it?

yeah- that's what I'm worried about. I'm not the steadiest guy around. I'll probably go med/light and see how that works. I think I'll just set the edge and use the stone to remove the burr on the back edge. 
  • Focker

That should work CT.  I was surprised at the quality of the steel on these commercial blades.  Took me awhile to hone the new edge.

Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker said:

That should work CT.  I was surprised at the quality of the steel on these commercial blades.  Took me awhile to hone the new edge.

yeah- stainless. I can't get a good edge with just the stones so I want to set a razor edge and then maintain with the stones. We will see. If I butcher it, I'll take it in and have it professionally done.

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    I worked in a deli as a kid in college - we all ate well for a year.  Now I can't eat cold cuts or drink rum.  I digress.  There were folks that brought in meats, and we sliced it for them for free.  Venison, hams, turkey, whatever.  I was good people.  Now I'm older and gassy.

With all the cuts I got, I'd love to have someone else slice it up :)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • I also bought a really used Hobart and basically rebuilt it. Works great. Ebay can be your friend and I bought some aftermarket items and a sharpener was one of those items. A Hobart brand sharpener was like $350, I bought aftermarket for $100 and it works great. You can also Google for aftermarket parts and find some great places to try.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    I'm not familiar with your particular machine, but think about it: the blade is already mounted on a spinning shaft.
    I would first look at ways to expose the blade (remove a guard, turn the machine upside down, crank some setting to its max) and then just touch it up with lightly-touching sharpening stones, while the machine is running.  Be aware of how/where the dust goes (hopefully not towards the motor air intakes).
    I do a bit of woodworking on the side so I'm used to using stones and diamond plates for sharpening various things, but its not that hard.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

I also bought a really used Hobart and basically rebuilt it. Works great. Ebay can be your friend and I bought some aftermarket items and a sharpener was one of those items. A Hobart brand sharpener was like $350, I bought aftermarket for $100 and it works great. You can also Google for aftermarket parts and find some great places to try.

Again the units I service are sharpened annually or as needed but, most of the restaurants I service are able to sharpen onsite with the onboard sharpener. If that's not available or feasible I recommend having pro sharpened. Or purchase the OEM sharpener. Just my .02¢.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL