Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Line at Franklin

Comments

• chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    definitely on the bucket list
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    edited April 2014
    Aaron Franklin is doing a class on "Beef and Sides" at the Texas Eggfest this month.  Hope I can take a break from cooking to sit in!  
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Did you bring beer?
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2014
    From a 2012 Aaron Franklin interview...

There is a way to order food in advance, right?
    With at least two days advance notice, if you order at least five pounds of meat — no sandwiches or anything like that — you can pick your food up without waiting line, like if you work in an office or something. You can get like a whole brisket or one pound of each meat and so forth.

How much does that tend to be?
    Oh, maybe like 75 bucks or something like that.

So you can bypass the line?
    Yeah, you can, but there's only so much extra we can cook. We tend to sell out of the advance orders very quickly.

Rest of the interview... http://eater.com/archives/2012/03/13/how-to-get-into-austins-franklin-barbecue.php 

No idea if the large order thing still works. Or ever worked. I do know that there is no food - anywhere, cooked by anyone - that would cause me to stand in a line that long! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    You're missing out, then.

You can still pre-order, but it opens on the first of the month in the month previous to the time you want to go. It fills with in a few hours on the first.

When I tried to pre-order(2/1) there when I was in town for Salado, it had sold out in minutes. Most likely due to SXSW.
  • Galbi
    Galbi Posts: 27
    I'll be there on Saturday! very excited.
  • Eggpharmer
    Eggpharmer Posts: 479
    @Eggcelsior‌ - absolutely, but not sure I have enough... Per one of the employees, I'll get food around 1

@Carolina Q‌ Preorder no longer done like that. See @Eggcelsior‌ Comment
    Austin, TX
  • Eggpharmer
    No more ribs per employee getting estimates. About 20 lbs brisket when got to me.
    Austin, TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You're missing out, then.
    No doubt. I'm sure it's delicious. It's okay though... the last time I was in Texas it was 1969. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• No more ribs per employee getting estimates. About 20 lbs brisket when got to me.
    just get the brisket and sausage. Beef rib if they have it. Everything else it filler.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

No more ribs per employee getting estimates. About 20 lbs brisket when got to me.

just get the brisket and sausage. Beef rib if they have it. Everything else it filler.

My wife loved his pork ribs.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Eggpharmer
    Definitely getting brisket and sausage. Hopefully estimate was wrong and will get a pork rib or two. No beef ribs today unfortunately. Was going to try a little turkey and pulled pork. Kinda figured might as well probably only time I'll ever do this. Probably not getting sides, unless someone on here really thinks I should.
    Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    I think he only does beef ribs on Saturdays.

The pork ribs were good, but the star is brisket. I had 1 pork rib, 1 bite of pulled pork, and around 1 lb of brisket when I was there. I just put my face right onto the butcher paper "plate". I haven't played with my food in around 25 years but I was making the flat slices "bounce" by holding one end up in front of my face while I giggled. He must wrap them in spandex to hold in that jiggle.

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    I don't think he'll have beef ribs today, but definitely get brisket (go with 1/2 pound of both "lean" and "fatty"), sausage, and a couple pork ribs. Also get the banana pie.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Eggpharmer
    I didn't bring enough beer :((
    Austin, TX
  • Everything is good but you can't get this brisket anywhere else on the planet. The ribs and pulled pork and turkey are all good- but you can eat good pork ribs and pulled pork lots of places. 

• EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    I thought I heard the Franklin gives away beer to people in the line.  Not so?
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • I thought I heard the Franklin gives away beer to people in the line.  Not so?
    They sell it at Franklins or you can bring your own. 

LABBQ gives it away
  • Eggpharmer
    They sell beer, soda and water. $3 per beer. There is a drug store around the corner that people are walking to for beers
    Austin, TX
  • Eggcelsior
    I thought I heard the Franklin gives away beer to people in the line.  Not so?
    They sell it at Franklins or you can bring your own. 

LABBQ gives it away
    In glorified shot glasses like 25 cent beer night in college. At least there isn't a cover.
  • cazzy
    John Mueller Meat Co. also gives away beer. The trailers do this because they can't get a beer and wine license. They can give it away though, but they try to offset the cost by encouraging tips.
  • Eggpharmer
    Walked to cvs around corner and got more beer. Shot of line from street corner
    Austin, TX
  • cazzy

Walked to cvs around corner and got more beer. Shot of line from street corner

The blonde in the green shirt was checking you out bro!
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    The thing that makes me the most jealous at this point is people wearing shorts and tshirts.  We still are wearing heavy jackets here :(
    Pentwater, MI
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited April 2014

With at least two days advance notice, if you order at least five pounds of meat — no sandwiches or anything like that — you can pick your food up without waiting line, like if you work in an office or something. You can get like a whole brisket or one pound of each meat and so forth.

Yeah, you can, but there's only so much extra we can cook. We tend to sell out of the advance orders very quickly.

Rest of the interview... http://eater.com/archives/2012/03/13/how-to-get-into-austins-franklin-barbecue.php 

No idea if the large order thing still works. Or ever worked. I do know that there is no food - anywhere, cooked by anyone - that would cause me to stand in a line that long! :)

Agreed.  I would have a hard time waiting even at L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele.  And this is just BBQ.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• The thing that makes me the most jealous at this point is people wearing shorts and tshirts.  We still are wearing heavy jackets here :(
    89 yesterday. It's on brother!
  • Focker said:

Agreed.  I would have a hard time waiting even at L'Antica Pizzeria da Michele.  And this is just BBQ.
    The line is fun. I wouldn't do it more than a few time a year but it's like a tailgate party. 

Day drinking in a parking lot is something I am sadly very familiar with. I have never regretted it once.

• Eggcelsior
    That must make one of you, CT.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    edited April 2014
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker‌ NO!! You do day drinking in a parking lot? Next time I'm in Austin this is the first place I'm heading with a case of Bud Light(Yes that's my beer of choice)

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364

@ The Cen-Tex Smoker,

By the pics, it doesn't look like a tailgate party.  Just a bunch of people staring at concrete with folded arms. lol

Not hatin', just wouldn't be my thang.  Surely, there has to be other fun stuff to do in Austin.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."