Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: This looks like it FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!

Comments

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,566
    edited April 2014

How does this thing compare to a PS3? The PS3 does Amazon prime, and Netflix. I'm curious how the streaming music quality is since I buy almost all my music the old fashioned way, from Amazon on CD which is available on Amazon Fire TV. We already can stream music from my PC to my stereo using the Airport express and Itunes.

I saw it and I want it but I think I'll hold off until I see some user reviews. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

@lousubcap - I'm just busting your balls, man.  :D  I'm into technology because I find it interesting and it's my job.  I just wish the luddites would stop asking me to fix their computers, 'cause I AIN'T IN THE COMPUTER FIXIN' BIDNESS!!  (just bitching about everyone I know that thinks a software engineer is in the computer fixin' business). 

OMFG...I ignore calls from people who I used to call friends because they only dial my number when their computer is broken. It's annoying as ****! Yes, I cussed...but that's how much it pisses me off.

I will say that one of them dudes hard drive died on his laptop. I told him, you just need to replace the hard drive and you'll be good. It should be about a $100. He told me repeatedly to throw it away or keep it. I kept it, replaced the hard drive with one I had lying around, added stick of RAM I also had, and sold it for $700. Even that isn't worth getting asked to work on computers during my personal time.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    haha....I built computers for myself and friends for years.  Finally said F it, I have better things to do with my time (like cook more) and also sick of fixing the OS on windows, so I switched to Mac and happiness ensued...
    edited April 2014

haha....I built computers for myself and friends for years.  Finally said F it, I have better things to do with my time (like cook more) and also sick of fixing the OS on windows, so I switched to Mac and happiness ensued...

I don't mind building it for myself. I do it during my free time so it doesn't bother me.

Fix the OS on Windows? That's why I am the only one who's allowed to use my computer. After I cut my wife and daughter off, happiness ensued.

I do love my MacBook Pro...or I guess I should say...I do love my track pad on my MBP! ;)
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Cazzy, will you ignore my calls when I pretend that I don't know why my 11 year old Mac Mini won't update anymore?

You too nola.
  • cazzy
    edited April 2014

Cazzy, will you ignore my calls when I pretend that I don't know why my 11 year old Mac Mini won't update anymore?

You too nola.

Of course not...I just might be in the shower every time you call. :P
  • Eggcelsior
    I really need to get a new computer. My wife's 2007 MacBook doesn't cut it either anymore. Hooray smartphones!
  • cazzy

I really need to get a new computer. My wife's 2007 MacBook doesn't cut it either anymore. Hooray smartphones!

The new Mac Mini should drop really soon. Was supposed to come out in February...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    In the last two weeks, I cut my $208/mo. Comkrap subscription.  Discovered I only get about 3 OTA channels in my location, even with a $150 amplified antenna.  Discovered my new OTA Internet connection has a severe data restriction, which I almost went over the first month (I live alone, no gaming or Torrenting (whatever that is), and only ONE HD movie.  
    If nothing else, I'll make a dent in that pile of books on my coffee table.... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• cazzy
    Botch said:

In the last two weeks, I cut my $208/mo. Comkrap subscription.  Discovered I only get about 3 OTA channels in my location, even with a $150 amplified antenna.  Discovered my new OTA Internet connection has a severe data restriction, which I almost went over the first month (I live alone, no gaming or Torrenting (whatever that is), and only ONE HD movie.  

If nothing else, I'll make a dent in that pile of books on my coffee table.... 
    Wow...I don't know what I'd do with an Internet data cap. I'm currently paying $62 after taxes for 50/5mbps. I'm ready for 100/10 to drop in my area. :D
  • nolaegghead
    cazzy said:
    Cazzy, will you ignore my calls when I pretend that I don't know why my 11 year old Mac Mini won't update anymore? You too nola.
    Of course not...I just might be in the shower every time you call. :P
    you mean, afterward.  I think there's some geek love going on in this thread. :P
    cazzy said:

The new Mac Mini should drop really soon. Was supposed to come out in February...
    I'm going MBP. I'll get a desktop when my daughter grows up a bit more.
  • cazzy
    I'm going MBP. I'll get a desktop when my daughter grows up a bit more.
    Makes sense.  I want that sexy retina screen too, but I basically have a brand new non-retina so it's hard to justify an upgrade.  I look at as the MBP will be that much better in 3 years.  lol

I hear they are releasing a 12" MBP w/ retina.  Lots of rumors going around that the Air line is going away.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490

henapple said:
    Does it run through cable or Internet? Explain it to me like I'm stupid.
    @henapple it  uses the internet connection to stream movies and tv using netflix, hulu, Amazon prime etc.  It basically turns your TV into a "smart TV".   You don't need cable, but you have to pay something for a subscription service or you can rent or buy movies from Amazon and watch them.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980

henapple said:
    Does it run through cable or Internet? Explain it to me like I'm stupid.
    @henapple it  uses the internet connection to stream movies and tv using netflix, hulu, Amazon prime etc.  It basically turns your TV into a "smart TV".   You don't need cable, but you have to pay something for a subscription service or you can rent or buy movies from Amazon and watch them.  

So if you already own a smart Tv it is redundant?

Serous question. I just got Netflix and a smart tv last week and got a US DNS number to get US Netflix. I also have Bell satellite. I basically got the Netflix for occasional movies and some past seasons of shows l would like to watch.

• Eggcelsior
    @hondabbq,
    Mostly, yes. There are likely extra features in the stand-alone boxes/dongles that the TV won't have.

My "smart" TV has Netflix and Amazon plus other stuff. No HBOgo so I carry the dongle upstairs for that if I want to watch in my loft.
  • cazzy
    Every smart tv is different too. I don't like the Netflix app on mine. If your tv doesn't have something you need...move on from there.
  • Eggcelsior
    cazzy said:
    Every smart tv is different too. I don't like the Netflix app on mine. If your tv doesn't have something you need...move on from there.
    This. My Netflix TV app sucks for searching because you have to use the 10-key alphabet numbers to search. The remotes with little keyboards really help.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I've got Netflix on the 360
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Mine's coming Friday. I have a gen1 roku that I'm eager to replace, so we'll give this a shot.
    Dunedin, FL
  • Eggcelsior
    henapple said:
    I have it on everything. Talk about redundant.
  • cazzy
    henapple said:
    Yeah, I can access Netflix from my PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Panasonic TV, WDTV and Sony Media Hub.   :P
  • nolaegghead
    cazzy said:
    henapple said:
    Yeah, I can access Netflix from my PS4, Xbox One, Xbox 360, Panasonic TV, WDTV and Sony Media Hub.   :P

That's it?!  Son, you need the Amazon FireTV!!!!

cazzy said:

henapple said:

That's it?!  Son, you need the Amazon FireTV!!!!

It's on its way Son!!!
  • Eggcelsior
    Ahhh, Puh naa so neck teevees are the best. That or Toshabis.

This was hands down my favorite moment of working at Best Buy. I could not keep a straight face when the dude asked me to compare the two. The same kind of people that make everything plural(I'm going down to Costcos, Best Buys, etc...)
  • nolaegghead
    My entertainment area is getting a big crowded.  That's a 55" Vizio.  I think I could handle a 70".  Still have some room for new gadgetry, and when I run out, it's "out with the old, in with the new".

I've had a few Vizios and not a single problem, except losing an HDMI port after a storm on an older one.

Stick with the 55-60. 70 will throw off proportions in the corner.

I like the Banksy print.
  • nolaegghead

I like the Banksy print.
    Thanks.  What do you mean - throw off proportions?
    edited April 2014

I should whip mine out....2001 36" Sony Wega, analog converter, and Mohu leaf. hahaha

Bought it new before the Ravens SB game.

Now, if I can find a way to cut the DSL cord with no monthly bill.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Eggcelsior

I like the Banksy print.

Thanks.  What do you mean - throw off proportions?

It may be lens distortion but I would think that 70 would totally dominate the space. Those effers are huge.