Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steaks on the BGE; what temp for a simple cook?

Nothing crazy here.  I'm not buying $100 mail order grass fed dry aged steaks.  I'm talking running to the food store, grabbing a pack of steaks out of the meat case and throwing them on the grill after work when time is short and stomachs are growling. 
What temp do you cook them at?

You can skip everything below, but if you want some background here is why I'm asking...
I used to always cook steaks on the gas grill, uncovered.  So I didn't know temps or care.  I'd heat the grill up, raise the lid, turn the burners down to 2/3 and throw on the steaks.  Easy cook, tasted fine, no complaints.  I made a good steak.
Last night I made steaks for the first time on the BGE....HOLY SH*T I get it now!  For the same amount of cooking time I had a steak that tasted muuuuch better.  I honestly didn't believe that in such a short cook you could impart that smokey charcoal flavor on the meat.  I was a little shocked.

The thing is, since I've never cooked steaks covered I don't know what temp they should be at.  Also I'll be opening that lid up on occasion to poke at them to make sure I don't overcook them.

NOW, before you guys go overboard here as you tend to do :) I'm talking quick, simple, easy.  I'm not sticking a electronic thermometer in the steak to monitor things, I'm not heating the grill up to 900 degrees and switching from direct to indirect or rearranging things inside the grill.  I'm talking I have a 3 year old and a 6 year old running around the house, a wife who is shouting because everybody is hungry and bedtime is approaching, and I just want to get on and off the grill quickly and efficiently with my supermarket steak.  I'll save the tech-ing out for the weekend slow cooks.

What temp?   :)   THANKS!! 
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• Welcome to the lifestlye!

Unfortunately, there's almost never a simple answer but, since you insist, 450*. And I just know that no one will disagree with me on that! 

;)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    salt the steak, ziplock it and toss it in a sink with hot water and submerge it. go light the egg and when it gets to 600 and burning clean go cook the steak. thats the hot tub method. really do consider a thermapen, it really does help with consistancy and its the little things like pulling a strip steak off the grill earlier than a fattier ribeye when it comes to temps, doneness, and tenderness
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    400 to 450 sounds about right

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Yes without a doubt cooking on here can go into the extremes.  400-500 throw them on for several minutes 4-6 then turn them over for another few minutes and be done with it.
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Here is my method (and I have never heard of anybody else doing this on this forum but it works for me).  I get the grill up to the 600-650 range.  If you have thick steaks, I would cook them 2-3 minutes, flip them, 2-3 minutes, flip AND close all the vents, and then pull after 3 minutes.  That usually gets me a good medium cook.  It works for me and that is all that matters.  The best thing you can do is pay attention to what you are doing so if it doesn't turn out exactly how you like, you can make adjustments the next time.
  • I think it depends a lot on the steak (what cut and how thick).  For a thinner steak you could go hotter.  For a 1 inch steak, I would go raised direct at around 400 to 450.  For a tougher cut, consider lowering the temp or going indirect.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Dulax43
    Dulax43 Posts: 18
    KiterTodd...your life sounds a lot like mine right now.  Your post made me LOL because I know exactly what you mean.

Champlin, MN

LBGE - August, 2013

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited April 2014
    Thanks!  Perfect.  I appreciate the simple tips which is what I need for a mid-week steak when I'm short on time.

Okay, I was at just over 400 on the dome with standard grill height.
    Sounds like I could go a little hotter.  (or try JMC's method)

Does anyone <gasp> ever cook their steaks frozen?  I know, I know...but a friend of mine years ago insisted that is how most of the steak houses cook so why shouldn't you?  I have done this, and other than having to cook a little longer and being careful not to burn it...it makes for an easy medium-rare steak when all is said and done.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    jmcnutt5 said:
    Here is my method (and I have never heard of anybody else doing this on this forum but it works for me).  I get the grill up to the 600-650 range.  If you have thick steaks, I would cook them 2-3 minutes, flip them, 2-3 minutes, flip AND close all the vents, and then pull after 3 minutes.  That usually gets me a good medium cook.  It works for me and that is all that matters.  The best thing you can do is pay attention to what you are doing so if it doesn't turn out exactly how you like, you can make adjustments the next time.
    Do a forum search on TREX, aka reverse reverse sear.
    canuckland
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    KiterTodd said:
    Does anyone <gasp> ever cook their steaks frozen?  I know, I know...but a friend of mine years ago insisted that is how most of the steak houses cook so why shouldn't you?  I have done this, and other than having to cook a little longer and being careful not to burn it...it makes for an easy medium-rare steak when all is said and done.
    I have never tried it, but if I was going to try it, I think I would use the plate setter and go indirect.  It seems to me it would be too easily burned going direct on the egg.  I may be wrong on that though.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited April 2014
    It's fine to throw on something frozen that you're overcooking - like a brisket, butt, wangs or pulled chuck.  But steaks or other meats that are best cooked to rare to medium, not recommended unless you like them cooked unevenly or you just don't care how they turn out.
    edited April 2014
    Well, if you're ever in a bind, it's time for dinner, and all you have is some frozen steaks, give it a try.  I think you'll be surprised that as long as you watch for flare-ups, you can have a perfectly cooked juicy steak that goes direct from icebox to grill to plate.  I don't think I'd do it with something thicker than an inch, though, but with a thinner steak by the time you flip it it is completely thawed and you just leave it on the last flip a little longer, or give it one more short one.  I realize I'm writing to purists, though, so this is blasphemy!  :)

BUT, that's off topic.   Again, I appreciate the tips and my steaks will forever be better tasting then they used to be now that I'm cooking them on the BGE!
    LBGE/Maryland
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    When in a rush "The Cowboy Way" is a good easy method. Especially for me as I like it rare to med rare. Not so much for SWMBO she likes very well done (it hurts my soul making her steak...just looks so sad with no pink :-().
    How to order a steak: http://youtu.be/VVJ6aQ3iwi4
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102
    Depends on the cut, but for your normal grocery store T-Bone or Rib Eye, 600 degrees, abt 3 minutes each side. Make sure to get it to room temp and drizzle with a bit of EVOO, salt and pepper before you throw it on (not a problem since you are waiting for BGE to crank up to temp. Pull, cover in foil, let it rest for 5 minutes and I get a nice medium rare Rib Eye with a "crust". I tried reverse sear and it wasn't for me, but I'm from cattle country and like it nice and pink in the middle.
  • MJH
    MJH Posts: 102

When in a rush "The Cowboy Way" is a good easy method. Especially for me as I like it rare to med rare. Not so much for SWMBO she likes very well done (it hurts my soul making her steak...just looks so sad with no pink :-().
    How to order a steak: http://youtu.be/VVJ6aQ3iwi4

I feel your pain Brother. This is the most complicated issue in my 15 year marriage. I finally convinced her to stop saying "bloody" and have slowly, incrementally moved her towards "medium" but she still doesn't comprenent the miracle and majesty of juicy, flavorful red meat the way God intended ut to be eaten by his children.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    jmcnutt5 said:
    I do the same as you and works great just took a rib eye off the mini 30 minutes ago and It was great.2 minutes each side at about 550-600 then shut bottom and put on green cap and cook about 3 minutes no waiting r down time.
  • Brimo
    Brimo Posts: 53
    edited April 2014
    Back when I got my first egg a couple years ago I saw a video on the BGE website at the time similar to jmcnutt5's technique. Get egg up to 650, throw steaks on, at 2 mins. flip, wait 2 mins. more close vents, wait 2 more mins. take steaks off, tent and rest 5 minutes. 11-12 minutes your eating. Thats for 3/4" thick steak about med. adjust cook times for thickness and doneness to your liking. Your friends won't believe you cook your steaks in 6 mins.