Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Who’s ready for September? We’re ready as ever for football season! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are great to bring to a tailgate, or cook at home if you’re entertaining friends during a game. Either way they’re sure to become a fan favorite! We couldn’t forget about Labor Day...we have recipes and cook out ideas to celebrate the long weekend no matter what you’re doing. And lastly, be sure to cook up a batch (or five) of bacon for National Bacon Day! We can’t wait to fall into cooler weather with you!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Re-purposing a cracked Egg

TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
Just finished putting the new Egg together, and now it's time to do something with Humpty.  I left the base in the old nest (afraid it would fall apart if I took it out).  I found a 30 round patio table at Ollie's Outlet (Good Stuff Cheap), with a mosaic tile shop, very close in color to the patio.  Ity's heavy enough that it doesn't need attached  It's not going anywhere. I now have lots of prep space, and it looks a lot nicer than the old gasser sitting next to the Egg. A BGE Prep Table.

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,676
    Great idea
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,488
    Looks great. What are you going to do with your old dome?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,492
    I wanted to plant peri-peri peppers in my cracked XL.  The dealer said I had to agree to send pics of the broken to pieces base in order to get a replacement.

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• hapsterhapster Posts: 7,209
    Very cool... I used my cracked base as a planter on our front porch
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    grege345 said:
    Looks great. What are you going to do with your old dome?
    My original plan was to flip it upside down in the base, add a fire grate and grid, and us it as a grill to sear.  It made the table top too high, and I figured with the crack in bot pieces it wouldn't last long.  Not sure now what to do.
    @Tjcoley you'll think of something. If you don't I'll be happy to take it off your hands. I want to make a wood fired pizza oven and use the BGE dome. I have plans for it in my head.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• TackmanTackman Posts: 228
    Whenever I hear cracked egg stories, it makes me sad. I bought my egg on craigslist, and thought they were indestructible. Kind of like sears giving you a lifetime warranty on a 3/4 inch wrench. Yeah it could break, but it most likely won't if not abused. Hopefully I win a new egg at north coast egg feet this year.
    Cleveland, Ohio
  • Randy1Randy1 Posts: 373
    I have a large base just sitting on my deck. I can't settle on what to do with it ,but I can't bring myself to throw it away. It sure does seem like a lot of eggs are cracking lately.
    Benton,Arkansas
    Randy1 said:

I have a large base just sitting on my deck. I can't settle on what to do with it ,but I can't bring myself to throw it away. It sure does seem like a lot of eggs are cracking lately.

Make the wife happy and turn it into a big planter
    @hapster yes, the base kind of looks like a planter anyway.
    Benton,Arkansas
    Randy1 said:

@hapster yes, the base kind of looks like a planter anyway.

Works really well for a planter... And the lower vent makes for an interesting drainage port...

Not the greatest foliage...

Yes, when you can look at the picture it does have a very interesting look to it!
    Benton,Arkansas
  • fr8dogfr8dog Posts: 15
    Well, now that's a great idea!  I have a base that's shot, so I think I'll turn it into a deck side herb planter.  Thanks.  Wouldn't have thought of that.  Something to do tomorrow.