Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Re-purposing a cracked Egg

TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
Just finished putting the new Egg together, and now it's time to do something with Humpty.  I left the base in the old nest (afraid it would fall apart if I took it out).  I found a 30 round patio table at Ollie's Outlet (Good Stuff Cheap), with a mosaic tile shop, very close in color to the patio.  Ity's heavy enough that it doesn't need attached  It's not going anywhere. I now have lots of prep space, and it looks a lot nicer than the old gasser sitting next to the Egg. A BGE Prep Table.

Comments

• henapplehenapple Posts: 14,595
    Great idea
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,452
    Looks great. What are you going to do with your old dome?
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,453
    I wanted to plant peri-peri peppers in my cracked XL.  The dealer said I had to agree to send pics of the broken to pieces base in order to get a replacement.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • hapsterhapster Posts: 7,056
    Very cool... I used my cracked base as a planter on our front porch
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    grege345 said:
    Looks great. What are you going to do with your old dome?
    My original plan was to flip it upside down in the base, add a fire grate and grid, and us it as a grill to sear.  It made the table top too high, and I figured with the crack in bot pieces it wouldn't last long.  Not sure now what to do.
  • grege345grege345 Posts: 3,452
    @Tjcoley you'll think of something. If you don't I'll be happy to take it off your hands. I want to make a wood fired pizza oven and use the BGE dome. I have plans for it in my head.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

·
  • TackmanTackman Posts: 226
    Whenever I hear cracked egg stories, it makes me sad. I bought my egg on craigslist, and thought they were indestructible. Kind of like sears giving you a lifetime warranty on a 3/4 inch wrench. Yeah it could break, but it most likely won't if not abused. Hopefully I win a new egg at north coast egg feet this year.
    Cleveland, Ohio
    ·
  • Randy1Randy1 Posts: 373
    I have a large base just sitting on my deck. I can't settle on what to do with it ,but I can't bring myself to throw it away. It sure does seem like a lot of eggs are cracking lately.
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
    Randy1 said:

I have a large base just sitting on my deck. I can't settle on what to do with it ,but I can't bring myself to throw it away. It sure does seem like a lot of eggs are cracking lately.

Make the wife happy and turn it into a big planter
    ·
    @hapster yes, the base kind of looks like a planter anyway.
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
    Randy1 said:

@hapster yes, the base kind of looks like a planter anyway.

Works really well for a planter... And the lower vent makes for an interesting drainage port...

Not the greatest foliage...

·
    Yes, when you can look at the picture it does have a very interesting look to it!
    Benton,Arkansas
    ·
  • fr8dogfr8dog Posts: 15
    Well, now that's a great idea!  I have a base that's shot, so I think I'll turn it into a deck side herb planter.  Thanks.  Wouldn't have thought of that.  Something to do tomorrow.
    ·