Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Removing the bolted bands.

Are these 2 bolts the only thing keeping the bands on? I didn't assemble my egg. I am trying to install the Egg Mate on each side. I am hoping that I only have to loosen these 2 bolts to get the bottom band loose. Actually I'll just try to loosen the bottom band only. Then I will raise the bottom band just enough to get the bolts through the band. Are there any other bolts securing the bands on? Sound right???image

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

Comments

• Those are the ones. Careful- this is where a lot of dome alignment issues come in to play. Mine got out of whack 2 years ago wen I had to replace my base and I have never been able to get them lined back up. I've watched all the videos and done all the tricks.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Me too..always an under bite. And in 3,2..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Those are the ones. Careful- this is where a lot of dome alignment issues come in to play. Mine got out of whack 2 years ago wen I had to replace my base and I have never been able to get them lined back up. I've watched all the videos and done all the tricks.
    Agreed. Mine wasn't aligned before(small underbite) or after putting them on. I never have cared, though.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    if you have someone hold the dome open its really simple to remove the springs by prying. its alot simpler if you dont have to fight the springs
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EGG_Daddy
    EGG_Daddy Posts: 163
    Can this be done without removing the springs?

MN. LBGE. Vikings. Beer. YETI 75.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,624
    it takes about three seconds per spring but you could also lock them together if you still have the retainers. its simpler than fighting the spring when you go to reassembe and line it back up.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,820
    EGG_Daddy said:

Can this be done without removing the springs?

There is no need to remove the springs. The bands yes the springs no. Loosen the top bolt, remove the dome, and set it in a safe place. Remove the bottom bolt enough to put the bolts in that hold the shelf brackets. Install the brackets. Tighten the bottom band back up, reinstall the dome and tighten the top band, when everything works how you want it finish by installing the shelves. Hope this helps.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited April 2014
    I have removed my dome twice to move the egg and both times I removed the two bolts at the back of the hing, then removed the two springs. I have no alignment issues after reinstall. I wouldn't touch the bands unless you have to. I don't have side tables so I'm not sure if removing the bands is a must to install them but I didn't need any help with my XL when I removed mine either time.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,820
    GeorgeS said:

I have removed my dome twice to move the egg and both times I removed the two bolts at the back of the hing, then removed the two springs. I have no alignment issues after reinstall. I wouldn't touch the bands unless you have to. I don't have side tables so I'm not sure if removing the bands is a must to install them but I didn't need any help with my XL when I removed mine either time.

You cannot install the bolts that hold the shelf brackets without removing the bands.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Don't you have to add the plastic tabs to keep the hinge closed BEFORE loosening the band bolts?.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Thecoiman
    Thecoiman Posts: 134
    I hope you can get the bolts off. Not to scare you but my bolt threads were crossed when the dealer put it together. I had to use a hack saw and cut the bolt off. One good this fixed my alignment problem. You do not have to take the spring off to install mates but I would put the white pastic tabs back on or zip tie the spring closed so you do not have safety issue.
    Garland, TX

2 Large, 1 Mini Max, 1 Mini
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Zip tie
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Just finished doing this.  Those are the 2 bolts I loosened.  First the top one, remove the dome, then the bottom one to remove the bands. I was replacing a cracked Egg (both top and bottom)  I used tie bands, but they didn't work all that well, but is was not an issue.  After replacing the bands on the new Egg, it was aligned better than the old one, and passed the dollar bill test first time.  Took a lot less time than I expected.
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    I often wonder why BGE doesn't use thd same hinge mechanism for the XL that they use for the other eggs. The XL setup is do much easier to work with.
    Mark Annville, PA