Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My attempt to re-create Lexington NC BBQ and slaw at home

Options

I grew up in and around the NC piedmont region and was raised on Lexington BBQ. For those familiar I have fond memories of Lexington #1, Stamey's, Kepley's, even Mr. Barbeque and Little Richard's. I moved to Atlanta in the late 90's and have always wanted to recreate the bbq. Since getting the egg in December I have tried a few times with a butt(I really need a whole shoulder or a picnic as well) and yesterday had my best success. I have attached a few pics of the butt, chopped pork, and red bbq slaw. This was a 9.5 lb butt done at 225 over rockwood and hickory chucks. The rub is only kosher salt and some pepper. 

I would like to thank everyone for their suggestions as I have struggled to get a long low and slow to go without much intervention. I can say that this time the egg ran for 21 hours, never opened and very little vent adjustment after I got it rolling.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It sure does look good. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    nice!
    Options
    Recipes please. How's the pork different?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Looks good for that western stuff  ;)
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options

Best way to describe the pork is mild.

Mild smoke, hickory and oak, and as you can tell mild rub. They actually only use salt but I like a little pepper in the bark. The sauce is a thin watery vinegar and tomato sauce that is more sweet than spicy. The red slaw is also vinegar and ketchup based(no mayo) and has a little spice to it. I have recipes that I will post up later today when I am near them. Most of my recipes were taken from different sites and cookbooks I have found and even some YouTube videos from the owners of the establishments. Each one shared a nugget on info here and there and when I put them all together I was able to back into the recipes. Now I just need an authentic hushpuppie recipe which should not be to hard.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Smokinpig
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Eggcelsior, that is my next challenge, I want to recreate an eastern style next. My big cheat will be that it will be shoulder meat to start out. Once I get better I might try tossing in a ham as well to better replicate the texture. I lived in Raleigh for a while and made the trip to Wilber's on many occasions, I don't discriminate. :D

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    That plated pic looks exactly like the pics I have seen of Honey Monk's BBQ! Good job! 

I have never eaten there, though I did try once when passing through. I stopped at a gas station and asked where "Lexington BBQ" was. I was surprised that they had NO IDEA. I didn't really have time to hang around and look, so I just kept going. Oh well, I tried. Maybe if I had known they called it #1 or Honey Monk's, they would have known where it was.

There's a place in Burlington called Hursey's that has pretty good Q. I once asked them what rub they used, figuring I'd buy some (you KNOW they weren't gonna give me a recipe). They said just s&p. They don't serve red slaw. Looks more like KFC slaw, as does most of the rest of it in eastern NC.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    Eggcelsior, that is my next challenge, I want to recreate an eastern style next. My big cheat will be that it will be shoulder meat to start out. Once I get better I might try tossing in a ham as well to better replicate the texture. I lived in Raleigh for a while and made the trip to Wilber's on many occasions, I don't discriminate. :D
    When I do it, I get a picnic roast. I am trying to get the entire front leg for one. Maybe add in a hog head. Can't justify a whole pig unless I plan a party.
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    21 hours!  I haven't done a butt yet.  Good to know I may have to allow a good amount of time for it.

Did you have to add any charcoal during the cook or did you fill to the top of the firebox and have all you needed for the cook?
    LBGE/Maryland
  • coffeeguydenton
    Options
    Looks awesome!  Looks really moist, too.
    Justin in Denton, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I am curious, how did you do the chop? I am always thinking I will make a big mess. So I always pull. But love me some chopped.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Options
    That looks fantastic!  
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    Options
    Honey Monk and Speedy's set the standard in Lexington, NC

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    Options
    That looks outstanding. I am going to be driving from Charlotte to Winston-Salem next week and am hoping to have time for a detour to Lexington.

Wow, 21 hours for a 9.5 pound butt is long. I find with my Egg hat cooking at a little higher temp (250-265) works just as well with very little difference from a flavor perspective but helps you get done much quicker. Thought to argue with your results though. Great job!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • Smokinpig
    edited April 2014
    Options

Thanks guys. I have probably researched this for a few years. Most of my recipes are an attempt to replicate Lexington #1 aka Honey Monks. Then one thing that they use that is not available is a 40 grain (or 4% acidity)vinegar therefore I use regular 5%.

Hotch, the chop is a little messy but I don't go at it like Chris Lilly which helps.  I usually pull it some but not to much then I have a big knife I use like a cleaver to chop it up.  Some of the pork will fly, it is unavoidable.

RECIPES

Rub

2 tablespoons kosher salt

1 tablespoon black pepper

Lexington Dip Sauce, makes one gallon

2 cups cider vinegar (4% if you can find it)

2 cups ketchup (recommend hunts brand for authenticity)

12 cups of water

1 cup sugar

1 tablespoon iodized salt

1 teaspoon pepper

1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

1 teaspoon ground red pepper

Combine ingredients wet then dry in a pot and whisk while bringing to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes.

BBQ Red Slaw

1 cabbage head cored and hand grated or run through a grinder (roughly 2 pounds)
    1/2 cup ketchup (again hunts)
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1 teaspoon iodized salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
    Combine all dry ingredients on the cabbage, mix and let sit 20 minutes. Add the wet ingredients and mix, refrigerate covered for at least one hour before serving. It is best to let it set up overnight.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Do they sell Hunts in Atlanta?   :D

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the recipes!! And the research!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Smokinpig
    edited April 2014
    Options

Not a problem. I feel like these are a close representation of the real thing. Feel free to try them out and provide feedback I am always looking to improve upon it.

I think temperature wise you are correct I could go higher. Since they pit cook over direct heat I am sure they are closer to 275.

Just curious anyone ever try a long direct cook at 275 in an egg? Maybe on and AR so it can sit higher in the dome away from the coals?

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've done a butt, pulled and put Wickers on it. A vinegar based concoction. Very good.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Pork and vinegar are like peanut butter and jelly. They just go together.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @Smokinpig awesome post!  Was there a picture at one time?  I do not see it for some reason. 

Disregard.  Pics were hidden from link you posted.  Now they are there from link another poster submitted. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @Smokinpig awesome post!  Was there a picture at one time?  I do not see it for some reason. 
    @tarheelmatt...I mentioned this in the other post but if you follow a link to a specific comment within a discussion it hides the pics.  Try this:

...or, just click the link from the home thread now that it has been bumped ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    @smokeyPitt kinda weird it did that.  I see them now.  Thanks for the new link. 
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Thanks for the assist @SmokeyPitt.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• tarheelmatt
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Check out this video I found about Lexington BBQ.  Very cool video I must say. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=526CyDo5wVk&feature=share&list=PL9QRCyY8-mYA1lIDiCdHPi0ObZvVNJScz&index=5

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    No prob @Smokingpig.  That is just something odd about this site.  If you follow a link from the notifications section it is to a specific comment, and pics seem to be hidden. 

On a side note- I am curious if you have ever tried Fresh Air BBQ in Jackson?  We really like their sauce.  It is just a simple vinegar/ketchup, but it works magic on pork.  My MIL is from Jackson so she always brings me a gallon back when she visits family. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Eggcelsior
    Options
    Check out this video I found about Lexington BBQ.  Very cool video I must say. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=526CyDo5wVk&feature=share&list=PL9QRCyY8-mYA1lIDiCdHPi0ObZvVNJScz&index=5

Sonny Conrad could be my grandfather with more hair. They sound identical. Man, I miss hearing those accents.
  • Smokinpig
    Options

I have not been to fresh air but I have heard good things. I need to make my way down there.

We had an NC Q Joint discussion thread last week I placed below that had that video and a few more. Man this is making me want to buy a butt for the weekend, would go nicely with the masters.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1163982/nc-q-joints/p1

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Sonny Conrad was a great man.  He just recently passed last year I think in June or so. 

You have southern roots, @eggcelsior
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Sonny Conrad was a great man.  He just recently passed last year I think in June or so. 

You have southern roots, @eggcelsior
    I was born in Charleston, SC and then lived in the western-most part of NC in Cherokee County(Murphy was the closest city). I've been in Maryland ever since. My paternal grandfather is from Lumberton, NC. I still have a lot of family there.