Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Recipe App or Digital Recipe Book

Does anyone have a good method for logging each cook in some sort of digital format? Hoping for something that would allow me to sort meals by various categories. For example you could sort by Direct, Indirect, Seafood, Turkey, Pork,

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    This forum's search feature

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @Chris_Wang‌...+3 on the forum search. I have been posting and taking pics of my cooks for close to 15 yrs now. Have had LBGE since Sept13 and holy $#i+ balls my briskets have evolved over the years (better each time). Take pics and make notes (temps, set up, spices, etc etc). Essentially you'll be the star of your own cooking show. :-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jimi1234
    jimi1234 Posts: 101
    Google Drive (formerly Google Docs). You can store the same recipe in multiple folders. It's accessible from any device with internet (and has a mobile app) and best of all - it's free!

Very easy to use and it works great.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    TadPole said:
    Does anyone have a good method for logging each cook in some sort of digital format? Hoping for something that would allow me to sort meals by various categories. For example you could sort by Direct, Indirect, Seafood, Turkey, Pork,
    Sounds like a perfect job for a spreadsheet
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I use Evernote. You can clip web pages, store pictures, notes, voice recordings, etc. I have a recipes folder and  add recipes with tags that I can search easily. Accessible from phone, desktop, tablet. And its free.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2014
    @jimi1234‌ ...+3 on Google Drive and I also use Google+ for pics. Both work eggcellent.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • sstripes96
    sstripes96 Posts: 152
    If i find a good recipe I save it to MS Word and save it in my recipe file on my computer. The file is subdivided into different catagories.
    Bud
    Large BGE
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Another Google drive user here for all the reasons posted above. 
    Madison, CT
    LBGE June 2013. 

• Resauers
    Resauers Posts: 40
    This may not be what you are looking for but I use an app called Pepperplate. I can import recipes from major recipe sites by copy and paste link. It works across mobile devices and tablets plus you can access on a web browser. It works well and has some good functions. http://www.pepperplate.com
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Paprika (both ipad and android versions). I absolutely LOVE this app! Make your own categories for recipes, list under multiple tabs, include photos, download recipes directly from web or create/import your own, weekly or monthly menu planner, create shopping lists based from planner, keep track of what's in your pantry....now if only they could get the app to do dishes! (I have absolutely no affiliation with the creators of this app....just am a real fangirl. Have been using it for years and yes, it really is that good and gets better all the time as they update.)
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • I just print them out and keep them in a binder, organized by the type of recipe. I actually find that much simpler than trying to use my phone or digital device while trying to prepare something.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I have been using Living Cookbook for about 10 years and am very happy with it.  
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    I use MacGourmet to keep my recipes. You can add notes and discriptions and search by keywords, etc.
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• Mross
    Mross Posts: 338
    I use My Cookbook. Lets you search and import recipes or type in your own with pictures.

Duncan, SC
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    +1 for EverNote

I also have a binder with sheet protectors that I keep my most used recipes in.  It also has my logs from cooks I have done over the years on my old Brinkman, and now for the egg.  Short cooks like burgers, steaks and that don't get logged, but Peppered Beef Stout, shoulders, brisket all get logged in.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    I just use my Notes that came on my Mac and apple mobile devices. Copy and paste recipes and type notes. With ICloud, it syncs with IPad and IPhone. And, has a search feature for locating recipes.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    edited April 2014
    Shameless plug:  http://www.familycookbookproject.com
    It's my biz, and you can create a free personal recipe box - we have apps for iPhone and Android, too.

Enjoy!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • Gezr
    Gezr Posts: 154
    Another satisfied Evernote user.
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    I have done the plastic sheet protector and binder option before I started using Evernote. One binder turned into 2 binders, and things became cumbersome eventually. I like Evernote because I can clip recipes/pictures from the internet, cut/paste  or type recipes, search and edit recipes easily, and access it from any device and  when I am travelling. Also, I use Evernote for work and other things, so I get a lot of mileage out of it.

Paprika sounds interesting though and I might try it out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I use the Weber app as a guideline. I think all of their recipes are in their cookbooks though.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 558
    I highly recommend Evernote. I created a cook log template and have a recipes folder. The search feature is outstanding. It will search notes, PDFs, even words in pictures. I use the web clipper extension to save recipes and articles. A great free application!

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• tkleager
    @abpgwolf - What does your log template look like?  Can you use it on your phone/mobile device?
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • tkleager
    @adpgwolf - Was wondering if you would be interested in sharing/showing your cook log template for Evernote.
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    +1 for The Living Cookbook software.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC